Does the new iMac less-glossy screen satisfy people who need matte antiglare screens?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by katewes, Dec 1, 2012.

?

Does the new iMac screen satisfy those who demanded matte, anti-glare screens?

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    78.8%
  2. No. The reflections are still irritating.

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Undecided. Perhaps under ideal lighting conditions, but I'd need to use it to really know.

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. katewes macrumors 6502

In this poll, please do not vote if you have not seen the new iMac screen for yourself. That would render the poll less informative. This poll is ONLY for people who have seen the new screen for themselves.

I saw the new 2012 iMac screen today in the local Apple Store.

When you view the new iMac with the Mountain Lion deep space wallpaper as the background, I could still see all the background reflections, albeit a bit darker. In the Apple Store, there is lit-up wall advertising, and these are clearly seen in the new iMac's so-called 75% less reflective screen.

Also, when you use the browser to view any website or content with dark areas, you can still see all the background reflections very clearly. For instance, if you go to websites with black backgrounds such as www.dpreview.com or http://macmatte.wordpress.com - on the totally black background, you can see yourself reflected in the black portions of the screen. I anticipate that, if people work with content that has dark areas, such as photographs, this new iMac screen is still going to irritate people, particularly people who use screens for many hours of the day, and who cannot totally control the positioning of the iMac relative to bright open sunlit windows.

But the new iMac screen is not so bad when viewing white areas of the screen, such as when you open Apple Mail and just look at a plain text email. In those white areas of the screen, I find the background reflections just tolerable. I wish Apple had gone all the way and used glass, such as museum glass technology that removes the reflections to a far greater extent - but I suspect that Apple and people like Phil Schiller actually decided to keep a slight amount of reflection so as to aid their marketing efforts by having a shiny object for their showrooms.

As a person that insists on matte or anti-glare screens, I am not totally happy with the new iMac screen. Under controlled lighting, the screen is definitely absolutely superb, unparalleled excellence, gorgeous, seductively crisp and inviting. But many of us, in our real environments don't have that -- open windows, sunlight streaming in, with no ability to change the position of the desktop. And many of use deal with subject matter that has dark areas on the screen.

2. katewes thread starter macrumors 6502

Now that hopefully more people have had a chance to see the late-2012 new iMacs, any further comments?

3. Hexley macrumors 6502a

4. katewes thread starter macrumors 6502

This flickr thread is just starting. Why not, instead, point it to the existing petition that has over 2,000 petitions? Why re-create the wheel? You could find the petition by searching in Google for Mac Matte.

5. seanm9 macrumors regular

i never used an older iMac my last desktops all had CRT's of some type and my MBP2,2 was fine(may even have a matte screen[?])..., but i don't notice any glare on my new 27"... saving and waiting for the TBD update...

6. azreal677 macrumors newbie

I've got a 2011 model at work, and a new 2012 model at home.

The glare is significantly reduced. It's not eliminated entirely, but it is barely noticeable with the screen on and a window behind me.

7. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Too.....

many people need matte by ilumination/sight problems. Having said the latter, the new iMac screen helps. But for me, not replace a matte screen

:):apple:

8. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

It is better than past glassy/glossy displays, but I would still prefer a matte option.

9. seble macrumors 6502a

I hardly notice it at all which is great, but then again my room never even had much glare to begin with. I'd say it's much better then friends previous imacs I have seen though

10. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

It's still a glossy screen.... At work, I use 27 inch HP panels of similar quality to the iMac, but they're matte and I prefer them in terms of glare.

11. WrrN macrumors regular

WrrN

Coming from a matte screen on my old MBP, this was a major concern for me, and I must say that I'm impressed with the lack of reflection on the new 27". No complaints here at all.

12. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

It's weird. I think that Apple used some kind of polarization technique on the screen of the iMac because when I look at the reflection of my lamps in the back of the room, they have bars across them resembling a sort of polarization . I might be able to take a picture of this.

13. Marx55 macrumors 65816

It is still glossy and reflective. Choices are good. Apple should offer a truly matte display option (even if more expensive), at least for the iMac and Thunderbolt Display.