iPad Does the new iPad Air 2 have the Retina HD screen found on the iPhone 6/6+?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JOSE891, Oct 16, 2014.

1. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

Been using a my iPhone 6+ for a while and used a iPad Air the other day and noticed the screen was super washed compared to my 6+, any info on this?

2. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

The screen has been improved from the previous iPad Air. Early hands on reports say it is a noticeable improvement.

If you are asking whether they increased the resolution, then no they did not. However the iPad Air already well exceeds the iPad 6+ In total pixels. If you consider the way you hold the device compared to a phone, the PPI is acceptable.

3. Zinthar macrumors 6502

They've finally laminated the display to the glass with the Air 2 and are using the newer anti-reflective coating, so it should look just as vibrant as the 6 & 6 Plus do.

I don't think it's technically "Retina HD" because it doesn't have dual domain pixels, but this is primarily a technique to improve viewing angles. The display lamination is probably the more important change, though, because that's largely what makes it look like the 6/6 Plus displays are "painted on" the screen.

4. rattler macrumors regular

Wondering the same thing. I was really hoping it would have the Retina HD (which is pretty much just better viewing angles, improved polarizer, and much higher contrast ratio) but there's no mention of it on the tech specs. I figured that if the contrast ratio/viewing angles/polarizer was improved they would've mentioned it on the product page like they did with the iPhones, but there's no sign of it anywhere.

I suppose the laminated display will make the screen seem closer to the surface and might help when you're using it in a glare-y environment, but I was really hoping for the improved contrast ratio. Shame, because the blacks on the iPad look washed out and gray compared to the deep blacks on my iPhone with the Retina HD.