Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
With The new iPad getting improvements in camera, screen quality, button positioning and the new iPhoto software then has your perspective on iPhone photography changed?

I get why people wouldn't want to take a photo with the iPad last gen, but if you imagine a workflow where you
1) Shoot
2) edit in iPhoto
3) Share on amazing Retina Screen or using online services

Maybe now that awkward embarrassing moment of carrying a giant screen to take a photo is worth the tradeoff of convenience and instant photo gratification. :D

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No. I simply cannot see me using the camera a lot. I could be surprised. The iPad never leaves my house though for the most part unless I'm flying somewhere.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Best camera is the one you have on you. Of course most people have thier phones on them too, but if Im actively using the iPad I can easily see myself using it to take a quick photo now that the quality is there.

Not going to use it to take a big album or anything but a quick snap when something arises.. yeah.

The camera is useful for more than normal photos though, with focus and better resolution it can be used for scanning codes or documents and such now. And not every iPad owner is going to have an iPhone too.

So basically.. yeah when I am actively using the iPad I think I would just use it to take a photo if needed rather than pull out something else.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I don't think I'd start rocking an iPad on vacation or at the beach, but a better camera is a good plus anyway.

It could now be more useful for playing with around the house (like for photo apps if you want to take a quick shot of something and edit it).

I can see how the video camera part of it could now make it a decent device to shoot web videos with, especially if you plug in an external mic. You can then shoot the footage for a website or youtube or whatever right on the iPad, use iMovie to edit it, and post it, all without a computer.

It would also be more fun to spend an hour or two editing on the iPad in bed or on the couch rather than at my full blown workstation in sitting position.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
with the better camera at least I can envision myself using it. Before it was just "why bother" now I have some reason to believe useful photos can be made. It's the same optics as on the 4s with just a smaller 5MP sensor.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
As others have noted, it's a nice feature to have, but I doubt I'll use the rear camera at all. I have my iPhone, Canon DSLR and P&S for taking pics. In the rare instance where I don't have any either of them, nice to know the iPad camera isn't too bad a slouch and should perform okay for that moment. I'm sure though, some director will shoot an entire movie using just the iPad camera or some photog will take some wacky photos that will test the limits of the iPad camera down the road.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
I never use the rear camera and frankly couldn't care less if it was there or not. I have an iPhone (with camera) on me at all times, a point and shoot and a DSLR. I guess I'm a photography snob but I can't understand why people are so gaga over photo editing software on the iPad/iPhone. If I have a nice picture, I'm editing it on the Mac/PC with Photoshop or similar.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Nope. Would have preferred HD front facing camera for Facetime and other video to video calling software.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
I can't see myself in any situation where I would need to use the iPad camera over my phone or regular camera. My iPhone would always be in my pocket and has a more accessible camera. Or I'd have my DSLR or point & shoot on me if I planned to take better pictures.

In the 11 months I had my iPad 2, I took maybe 3 pictures with the back camera right when I first got it, then never again. The front camera was used a handful of times to mess with photo booth and facetime.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I shot some video at a college reunion and let me tell you, it was fun. Having a 9.7" viewfinder lets you share the shooting fun with other people. Plus the shots are über easy to frame.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I don't see myself using it much past the first few days. Definitely not outside the house, as there is the phone for that. We'll see how it goes though..

SHIFTLife

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
Nope, doesn't change my opinion at all. I will still laugh and think you look foolish taking a picture with a big-ass tablet. :D

wbeem

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
Nope, doesn't change my opinion at all. I will still laugh and think you look foolish taking a picture with a big-ass tablet. :D

That may change as more people start using them that way. Right now, people may point & laugh because it's relatively new. Give it some time and it'll probably become commonplace and accepted.

In my case, I'd be more likely to use the camera on my iPhone 4s and do my post processing on the iPad. It seems like a more convenient form factor for taking snapshots than whipping out an iPad.

On the other hand, I think video on the iPad would be much better because you have that large screen.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
That may change as more people start using them that way. Right now, people may point & laugh because it's relatively new. Give it some time and it'll probably become commonplace and accepted.

In my case, I'd be more likely to use the camera on my iPhone 4s and do my post processing on the iPad. It seems like a more convenient form factor for taking snapshots than whipping out an iPad.

On the other hand, I think video on the iPad would be much better because you have that large screen.

Even if it becomes "socially acceptable" to take pictures with a relatively large device, I can't think of why it would be preferred over a smaller device that will work just as good or better that you most likely have on hand.

Anyways...I'm surprised this thread has gone this long without someone posting this picture. :D
spike_lee_ipad_2_president_obama.jpg

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
The shape, size, and weight of the iPad are why my opinion of any camera in the iPad will never change. It's a lousy camera.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Last November I delivered a lecture in London, and one of those attending put the whole thing on video with an iPad 2. I was amazed at how obtrusive this was, and many people behind him seemed to find it to be rude.

I don't expect use of tablets for this sort of thing to ever be as mainstream as using a phone for the same purpose.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Best camera is the one you have on you. Of course most people have thier phones on them too, but if Im actively using the iPad I can easily see myself using it to take a quick photo now that the quality is there.

See, here's the thing. I don't foresee me having the ipad somewhere that my phone wouldn't also be (seeing as my phone goes everywhere with me exept on short dog walks and I'm certainly not going to take my ipad with me on those either). I mean I'm not even seeing why anyone would take their ipad somewhere they wouldn't take their phone with them.

And even if both had equal cameras, the phone is easier to hold which means it is also easier to get the best angle on the photo I want to take. And with photostream, I can just use that to easily get the photo on the ipad to show off or edit the photo.

So why would I use the ipad to take a picture when it would be awkward to hold and to get the right angle?

I have to agree with some other post on here (about good/bad about ipad), they should have improved the front camera instead cause I see more use for that with facetime or skype than the back camera.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
The camera on the iPad was something Apple needed so they could check that box on the spec sheet. With the bump to the Retina display, they probably would have been accosted if the camera didn't get a bump to closely match the resolution.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
In a pinch, I'd use the camera. But I carry around a proper Point & Shoot and if I plan ahead of time a DSLR for photos.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
My likely scenario for using this thing as a camera is if it meets my expectations as a note-taking device, becomes an indispensable business tool, and I end up using the camera to attach whiteboard photos to notes stored in Evernote.

Otherwise I have real cameras and/or a cell phone that are either better as cameras or more likely to be with me at all times.

wbeem

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
Even if it becomes "socially acceptable" to take pictures with a relatively large device, I can't think of why it would be preferred over a smaller device that will work just as good or better that you most likely have on hand.

Anyways...I'm surprised this thread has gone this long without someone posting this picture. :D

For stills, I agree with you. I think the form factor of the iPhone 4s would be better for photos. However, video is a different matter. I think it's much easier to pay attention to the details with that big screen.

Maybe Spike was making a movie.

dennya

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Seattle-ish
When Apple perfects a feature that makes you not look like a total dork shooting video with a tablet, I might consider it.

But no, since my iPhone has an even better camera, and the iPad will pick up those pictures via iCloud, I won't be shooting with the iPad.

My only significant disappointment with the Nu-iPad is that they didn't update the terribad front camera. Facetime/Skype is the one thing I do use an iPad camera for, and it's annoying that disappointing iPad 2 front camera is carried over.

I guess Apple had to hold something back for next year's update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.