Does the new iTunes contain spyware?


Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
If the miniStore window is disabled, iTunes won't send song information to Apple servers.

I'll say it isn't spyware.

Here's to the Crazy Ones
 

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
507
0
iGary said:
Not happy. :mad:
Crazy if this is true. After the recent Sony BMG fiasco, you would have thought that the big boys would be treading very lightly. The press will have an absolute field day with this, especially if Apple initially try to play down the issue rather than simply apologise and quickly revert software update to the previous version of iTunes.

I really hope this rumor is groundless.

Lacero said:
If the miniStore window is disabled, iTunes won't send song information to Apple servers.

I'll say it isn't spyware.
Assuming the reports are true:

1 The feature is enabled by default
2 Apple don't inform the user that this information is going to be sent and don't seek consent to send the information
3 Apple and its associates benefit from the information being sent

2 & 3 together constitute spyware ("software that subverts the computers operation, monitors the user or supplies information to a party without the informed consent of that machine's owner or legitimate user"). Point 1 just makes it even more nefarious.
 

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
8,643
0
mdavey said:
Crazy if this is true.
It's true :mad: And seeing that they're sending information to Omniture, that means they're also keeping detailed tabs on who does and doesn't leave the mini store open.
 

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
557
0
Tampa
It wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't on by default and if they explained to you what happens when you turn it on. I'm sure that was in the EULA somewhere and you should all be ashamed of yourselves for not reading it thoroughly. ;)

Lucky for me I updated iTunes and this new feature is no where to be found. Strange considering that it works on another computer I have.
 

saurus

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2004
51
0
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Spyware? Not!

It's called "Suggestive Selling" and it's been used online by Amazon.com and others for well over 7 years now. And if you understood the shear numbers of how many iTunes users call home, you'll see that the information about individual users is infact irrelevant. They're interested in growing a database of linked products to use to suggest to others who have similar tastes.

And the concept of suggestive selling has been used in mass retailing for decades. There's actually a logical method of how certain products are advertised and the order of how the Sunday flyers are assembled, by return on investment. Obviously most people just assume that they're just random...

If you don't like it, then turn it off in the menu (under edit I think), and it'll never bother you again, nor will it "call home". If you're paranoid, I think you'd better stop shopping, period, because they're all watching your every move!
 

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
507
0
saurus said:
It's called "Suggestive Selling"
I know. It is also called "without informed consent". If Apple had made it clear that they were going to do this and explicitly asked my permission to turn on the feature, I could have made an informed decision. They didn't but instead took the unilateral decision that I probably wouldn't mind*.

* Allegedly. There are still facts to be determined.
 

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
2,955
0
Alameda, CA
I suspect that this will become a *big* story in the next few days... as soon as the delirium over the Intel Macs dies down.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
Flowbee said:
I suspect that this will become a *big* story in the next few days... as soon as the delirium over the Intel Macs dies down.
That's probably why Steve sort of glossed over iTunes really quick in his keynote.

Here's to the Crazy Ones
 

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
557
0
Tampa
wasimyaqoob said:
Ah well, i've closed the little Music Store thing - it looks awful, just sitting there :)
Speaking of looking bad, does anyone else think that iTunes is starting to look a bit cluttered. If you use the mini store and the browse menu at the same time you can barely see your music.

I think Apple needs to come out with a basic iTunes, say "iTunes lite." It would use your same library, but only display the playlists, music files, and perhaps a search function.
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
mdavey said:
I know. It is also called "without informed consent". If Apple had made it clear that they were going to do this and explicitly asked my permission to turn on the feature, I could have made an informed decision. They didn't but instead took the unilateral decision that I probably wouldn't mind*.

* Allegedly. There are still facts to be determined.
No, with Amazon, I have to log in.

I'm not really tickled about ITMS fiddling around in my library when I don't give it the OK to.

Bad move, Apple, bad move.
 

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
1,927
83
Cape Breton Island
iGary said:
Read my location. ;)
I did, but I didn't think it was in relation to that, you seem to through up in your mouth a lot.

;)

mkubal said:
Speaking of looking bad, does anyone else think that iTunes is starting to look a bit cluttered. If you use the mini store and the browse menu at the same time you can barely see your music.

I think Apple needs to come out with a basic iTunes, say "iTunes lite." It would use your same library, but only display the playlists, music files, and perhaps a search function.
I think that would be cool.
 

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
9,808
28
The Bamboo Forest
mkubal said:
Speaking of looking bad, does anyone else think that iTunes is starting to look a bit cluttered. If you use the mini store and the browse menu at the same time you can barely see your music.

I think Apple needs to come out with a basic iTunes, say "iTunes lite." It would use your same library, but only display the playlists, music files, and perhaps a search function.
Or you could just minimize the mini store and click the browse button to remove the browse window. Voila! iTunes Lite!
 

Applespider

macrumors G4
I suspect this will be a storm in a teacup once it comes out what's actually being sent and how easy it is to turn off the feature. I hope that it's just the track information without any personal data attached. I suspect the reason for not overtly asking permission is so that people actually see it and opt out, rather than not knowing what it is and opting in.

It's one thing I hate about Amazon; how even without logging in, they store my search terms so even weeks later I still see things I'm no longer interested in rather than new stuff. At least this changes as to what I'm listening to (I might turn it back on since I thought it just had top 10 stuff!) currently and might be relevant.

Apple's privacy policy does state that they don't sell or share their data with any third parties so since they have my data anyhow (after registering my iPod and using the iTMS, I'm not massively troubled)
 

BOOMBA

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2001
227
2
saurus said:
It's called "Suggestive Selling" and it's been used online by Amazon.com and others for well over 7 years now.
that's based on purchases you made through Amazon though, and not everything you have ever bought from anyone and have in your house.

Any MP3s I ripped or downloaded illegally are now visible by Apple.

What if I bought a DVD from Amazon, and then they knew every DVD or porno I own in my DVD collection I got from other sources?

same thing :(
 

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
1,606
1
Applespider said:
Apple's privacy policy does state that they don't sell or share their data with any third parties so since they have my data anyhow (after registering my iPod and using the iTMS, I'm not massively troubled)
Good point. I wouldn't worry about it folks.