Does the new voice memo app run in the background?*ANSWERED:Yes, But Not During Calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikeinternet, Jun 10, 2009.

1. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

I know apple apps are the only ones that can run in the background, for example the ipod app, my question is... Can you hit record in the voice memo app and then open the phone app and record conversations?

2. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

3. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

Wow if that is true that will be great for my work as a part time under cover CIA spy. Oh wait a minute.....

4. blackboxxx macrumors regular

Did anyone notice that if you tap the microphone image when the app isn't recording, the needle of the VU meter jumps a bit? What's that supposed to mean?

5. mikeinternet thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

SO it does run in the background and let you say open safari or notes while recording a seamless audio file, but it cuts out when you take a call? or does it just record your end of the conversation coming over the mic?

6. blackboxxx macrumors regular

Yes, it keeps recording in the background if you press the home button. However, if you start a call, recording silently stops. If you try to start recording while on a call, it displays a message "Recording disabled. To record voice memos, end call".

7. mikeinternet thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

Thanks for answering that. I did notice apple.com does indeed say you can surf the web etc, while recording notes. Not being able to do the same during conversations is a bummer.

Joke or Not. Is this another push from AT&T? Maybe they don't want people recording all the mixed up information their customer service employees are giving people.

8. ynotm macrumors newbie

try talking with it not recording. it's reacting to audio, even if it's not recording.

9. blackboxxx macrumors regular

That's correct, however it reacts even if you tap the mike (on screen, not real one) very lightly. And if you tap the area around the mike - no reaction at all.
    So it must have been programmed to respond that way. Probably an easter egg by :apple: :confused:

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

That's pretty cool :D
    They've probably done it because of the old habit of tapping a microphone to make sure it's active. Once it's recording, tapping the on-screen mic doesn't cause a reaction.

11. blackboxxx macrumors regular

Another interesting observation: memos are recorded at 8000 Hz using internal microphone, but if you connect the headset frequency is 44.1 kHz.
    I can confirm this on a 2G iPhone.