Does the next Iphone have to change to keep up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Apr 15, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I love the current design and screen size but fear it has to change to keep up really. Blackberry are suffering sales loses and look to be going back to business user type customers and they reckon Android and Samsung will rule the phone market for all non Apple users.

For this reason I think the Iphone 5 or 'The New Iphone' will carry these basic things as standard. 4" screen, NFC and 12mp camera with improved flash.

The smart phone market seems settled on 4" screens now.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

RIM stopped innovating and rested on their Laurels, Apple, HTC, Samsung will incur the same fate if they stop.

I think apple realizes that they need to keep moving forward and improve what they have if they want to stay on top

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am not sure I understand the question. Does it have to change? Of course. But you go into talking about screen size, LTE, and camera. Does it have to have the changes you speak of? I don't think so.

4. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

5. Sunsean macrumors 6502

While I don't mine the 3.5" screen, I think Apple must be planning on releasing a larger-screen device. I think a lot of apple loyalists would still get the iphone "5" with a 3.5" screen...but there are enough people who are tempted by the larger screens on Android, and I think Apple will go bigger on the next one to satisfy those urges...maybe they will actually offer 2 different screen sizes? Doubtful but that would be epic.

6. Mortalias macrumors 6502

Mortalias

Software, software, software.

It won't matter much if the outside can compete. iOS 6 must feature significant change to remain a leading competitor. I believe Apple knows this, and has been working hard on it.

7. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Yes they do. They have to make a lot of changes. Three point five inches is simply too small now. Four to four and a half will have to be on the next one. Obviously LTE. Their camera will have to beat the new super cameras Microsoft is cooking up with Nokia with that pureview tech. Android is always improving with everything faster than others too. I kinda high so yeah...

8. b24pgg macrumors 65816

This. Even if there aren't a lot of structural changes under the hood, it needs to feel new.

9. antseg macrumors member

No.

You and I are not the average iPhone user. The day iPhones and Apple become less cool (remember how cool Blackberries were?) is the day there is a problem.

They need to change in the near future to be cool, but the iPhone 5 will most likely have gaudy sales numbers no matter what.

You and I want changes because you and I know what else is out there. I would love a slightly bigger phone with iOS. But, again, we are much more informed than the average person and have done due diligence. My mom does not scout the phone market before making a purchase. My girlfriend thinks Android is complicated and will be replacing her Blackberry with an iPhone in a couple days. I don't know if she's ever used an Android phone, but that is definitely a perception (please don't call either woman ignorant, they just don't care about cell phones as much as you or I. They'd rather just have a phone that looks cool and does the basics well).

But yeah I feel it needs something shiny and new to show off. A higher-resolution screen or something would probably be enough, honestly (though I don't know how high it can get). I honestly think the average user would be slightly put off by a bigger screen because people normally don't like change.

10. Supermerc macrumors newbie

I just hope that Siri is a little more interactive then what it is today and a bit more responsive too. And of course LTE is a must.

11. taedouni macrumors 65816

I do not believe that the screen size will change. I think that they will have a new design that will take advantage of a smaller chip, new display (that consumes less power), LTE capability, nano sim card, and a slightly larger battery.

In the Apple ecosystem a 3.5" phone is large enough. For consumers who want a large display, Apple sells the iPad. They are smart and know that if they keep the screen the same size and change everything else that consumers will remain happy and upgrade while at the same time not introduce complications due to a new screen size (change in AR and possibly resolution).

12. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

The most common mobile cellphone I see where i reside is the different versions of the Blackberry models.

I admit most of the people I do see with these are young adults.
    Most i know have these in order to enjoy the messaging feature.

The iPhones i normally see are in the older persons possession.
    Although i once saw an iPhone 4s in the hands of a child that looked around 10 years old. {lucky child or was 'borrowing' it off a older sibling or parent !}

All manufacturers of products , not just cellphones, know the fundamental business model is to strive to improve products, and push out new models to keep ahead of the competition, and to make money.

Would i like to see Apple push out numerous versions of the iPhone like the others do...... No.

I used Nokia phones for over 15 years and became tired with buying a model only for it to be superseded by a different model weeks or months after getting mine.
    And loosing confidence in Nokia as they started dropping os platforms too !

Im happy with one iPhone a year.

I want the next iPhone to exceed my expectations.

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

No matter what Apple does to the iPhone 5 it will not make everyone happy.

Some want bigger screens or they will "move on", while others threaten if they change the size of the device they will . . . . . well they really do not have any choice and will stay with their God, Apple.

This is why I bet they increase the size of the screen and device !:p

14. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

If the rumors of an iPad mini turn out to be true, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple stuck with a 3.5 inch iPhone. I mean, I know an iPad isn't a phone, but it might feel overlapped if there's a 4+ screen, a 7.89 iPad, and then a 9.8 iPad.

Or maybe that'll be perfect. I don't know.

15. aneftp macrumors 68040

Apple an still keep same form factor and squeeze a 4 inch screen in.

The Motorola atrix is same length and width and 4 inch screen was easy to fit in.

I think 4 inch screen along with LTE.

Not sure if apple will include quad core chip. They may just do with duo core with better graphics like new iPad.

16. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

Something that has to happen with iOS6 or sooner is the ability to customize. Even if it means via bought themes off of Appstore. Has to happen. Theming/customization and drag and drop usb mounting are 2 areas where Android is absolutely blitzing Apple. Apple needs to address these issues as a matter of urgency IMHO.

The other is screen size, always be a contentious issue but I don't see how Apple can avoid going bigger. Not to say I'm suggesting they cease production of the 3.5" iPhone but why not sell a 4.3" version alongside the 3.5" version...

17. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Change is needed, but the right change.

For the average buyer, bigger numbers are better:

12MB > 8MP > 5MP

I think it's a given the next camera will be more advanced. To me, I'd take the ability to shoot faster 8MP photos over 12MP.