Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asthmaticinhale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I was recently ripped of by some guy on craigslist and unknowingly bought a 900mhz G3 iBook with a faulty logic board.

Its serial number doesn’t fall under the apple logic board repair program either.

1.Am I still covered by the one-year apple warranty? (I don’t have a receipt but some guy told me that they could just check the serial number and see when it was sold.) I don’t think the 900mhz G3 iBook has been out that long so it should be under a year.

2.Does the warranty even cover second-hand users?

3.Are there any tips on how I should state my claim?

I would just ask a genius but I don’t want to say the wrong thing and have my warranty voided.

Thanks a bunch for any help given.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I know there's a procedure for transferring the extended AppleCare, but I don't know about the standard 1 year. As for the service, they could possibly find signs of abuse, and either refuse to repair it, or charge you to repair it.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
asthmaticinhale said:
I was recently ripped of by some guy on craigslist and unknowingly bought a 900mhz G3 iBook with a faulty logic board.

Its serial number doesn’t fall under the apple logic board repair program either.

1.Am I still covered by the one-year apple warranty? (I don’t have a receipt but some guy told me that they could just check the serial number and see when it was sold.) I don’t think the 900mhz G3 iBook has been out that long so it should be under a year.

2.Does the warranty even cover second-hand users?

3.Are there any tips on how I should state my claim?

I would just ask a genius but I don’t want to say the wrong thing and have my warranty voided.

Thanks a bunch for any help given.

The Apple Warranty makes no mention that it's non transferrable or limited to the original purchaser, so it should cover you if it's within the one year. The real problem will be the lack of a receipt. But I'm sure plenty of people have lost their receipts, so I'd call them up and ask them what to do without a receipt. My guess is that the lack of a receipt simply means that you have less proof of the exact day the computer was purchased, so Apple might cut a few days off.

Can you file a report with the police and/or craig's list, and maybe find the guy who sold it to you?

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
When my hard drive went out, I called apple and they told me to take the computer to the local authorized apple repair shop to get it fixed. And they most definite wanted a sales recepit. They wanted to make sure that the Mac was still within the 1 year warranty. The people at the repair shop had to fax apple a copy of the recepit before they would agree to pay for the repairs.

idkew

macrumors 68020
1macker1 said:
When my hard drive went out, I called apple and they told me to take the computer to the local authorized apple repair shop to get it fixed. And they most definite wanted a sales recepit. They wanted to make sure that the Mac was still within the 1 year warranty. The people at the repair shop had to fax apple a copy of the recepit before they would agree to pay for the repairs.

maybe this is the case with a non-apple store, but i have never shown a receipt for my ipod or my laptop at a real apple store.

asthmaticinhale

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Le Big Mac said:
The Apple Warranty
Can you file a report with the police and/or craig's list, and maybe find the guy who sold it to you?

i tried to tell the guy that i would sue him and stuff but i dont feel like going through all of that. I did technically try it out before I bought it but it failed when I got home. he said it was "as is." :rolleyes:

so would it just be safer if i said that i am the original owner and just say i i got it in june sometime but dont have the recepit> or is there some way of knowing that im lying. i regstered it under my name on the website becuase i guess the guy didnt have time to do it but do they know the owners by serial nummber?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.