Does the plastic 5C mean Apple will continue with metal phones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Oct 1, 2013.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Do you think Iphone 6 will definitely be a steel or aluminum phone now as they have the 5C as the fashion phone? Everybody who loved the 3GS must love Iphone 5C surely?

Also how come the 3G one was never considered "budget" as it was plastic?

2. blarivee macrumors 6502

I hope Apple is not moving back to plastics backs. It feels cheap despite what Apple tries to say in their promotional materials.

3. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure that Apple will continue to make an iPhone with premium materials.

I think we'll see iPhone 6 next year, along with iPhone 5CS (5C upgraded to 5S internals).

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think that Apple is moving back to plastic phones. I think the next one will be aluminum.

5. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Of course. Apple will continue with high grade materials in it's top of the line smartphone.

Because it was the flagship at the time.

6. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

The 3G and 3GS were elite phones in their day based on specs and the App Store. Plastic was never ideal, it just kicked the crap out of every other phone in spite of that.

Now, there are a lot of cheaper phones out there made of plastic that have specs that are as good as an iphone and run legit OS' and have legit app ecosystems. One place the iphone deferentiates itself is on design, so going back to plastic makes it look like all the other phones on the market.

7. AntnyMikal macrumors regular

AntnyMikal

I think the 5C looks and feels pretty good despite it being plastic. It definitely doesn't feel like other plastic phones, and I think it is the most comfortable phone I've held in a long while. If I didn't know it was plastic I'm not sure id be able to tell the difference right away.

8. Spacial macrumors 6502

Top of the line iPhones will always be metal. It's Apples trade mark. The cheap plastic 5C was a brilliant move to convince buyers that for just $100 more they could have the best. That worked & Apple prevailed as usual. They're the masters of marketing.

9. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

the reason they went with the 5C was because shortage problems with the aluminum backs.

imagine if they were still making the 5....

all these shortages of the 5S would be 10x worse with the continued manufacturing of the 5.

its been said thats the only reason the 5C was made. all it is, is 5 internals on a new plastic housing.

10. appleonlife macrumors newbie

The 5C isn't budget. And it's only part plastic, a new type of plastic.

If the 5C had the fingerprint scanner it would be the same price as the 5S.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Apparently not for 3G/3GS.

12. Spacial macrumors 6502

Enjoy living in the past? You don't know what you're missing :)

----------

iPhone 5C is made of polycarbonate plastic. Just like the Galaxy series from Samsung. Precisely.

13. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Bingo.