Does the retina display MBP come with a USB stick or recovery partition?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hippocrates, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Hippocrates macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm looking forward to buy my first MBP. I'm just wondering whether I should hold my purchase until next month when OSX Mountain Lion is released? I do understand that I shall get a free update even if I placed my order today... but do I need to worry about not getting a USB stick (or recovery partition) of the latest operating system? Besides, will there be any factory optimization for Mountain Lion if it's shipped with it, rather than for me to update it myself? Thanks and appreciate your advice :)

2. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Recovery Partition./

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

you can always restore or recover during bootup if you want. You don't ever actually need the physical disk.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They come with Lion preinstalled, which includes a recovery partition. They also qualify for a free upgrade to Mountain Lion when it is released.

5. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Recovery partition. A USB recovery drive is not listed in under 'In the box'.

In the Box
    -MacBook Pro with Retina display
    -85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter, AC wall plug, and power cord
    -Printed and electronic documentation

Bit weird how they are not including the screen cleaning cloth. It still comes with the legacy MacBook Pro though :confused:

6. Hippocrates thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much for all your replies. So I'm assuming that if I were to make my purchase today, I'll have a recovery partition stuck with OSX Lion, even after my OS is upgraded to Mountain Lion in July??

One more question: Will there be factory level optimization that MBP shipped with Mountain Lion will perform better than user-upgraded OS?

Thanks again. :)

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, if you upgrade to ML, the recovery partition will be upgraded to ML, as well. The performance will be the same, whether user-upgraded or shipped with ML.

8. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

With past OS X updates there have been a number of users saying they get better performance when they wipe between major OS updates.

Of course, there are always some people who say there is no difference. It's up to you, but you're not going to see a major slowdown or anything when you update to ML without a wipe.

In terms of optimization, the factory shipped copy and the upgrade copy should be identical.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

this. Also, if you wait, they just ship you a mac with ML already installed, which is basically the same as getting the free update. If you want a physical disk, you need to buy that seperate

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is no physical disk. You can create one, but you can't buy one.