does the rMBP 13" SD card "stick out" to prevent quasi-internal SD harddrives?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SphericalPear, Oct 27, 2012.

1. SphericalPear macrumors member

if the SD card slot were deep enough to allow us to insert SD cards better, we could just add 64gb and up for a few bucks, and thereby basically have a (slow) SD card to store extra photos, music, etc. it'd be an "internal external HD"...

so did apple prevent us from doing so intentionally by making the SD card stick out a lot? that way, they can charge more for the "internal" extra 126gb etc

2. markus843 macrumors regular

Honestly I'll probably use that idea, even if it does stick out a bit :eek:

3. chibisukee macrumors newbie

4. SphericalPear thread starter macrumors member

interesting, thanks!

there are relatively cheap 64gb cards around, and even 128gb... so one can move the infrequently used files onto those cards, no?

is there any disadvantage to that?

5. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

The Nifty uses micro-sd cards where the current max capacity is 64GB and even the fastest ones are still pretty slow. If you're willing to have the card stick out a little you can get a 128GB card, and the fastest ones will be almost as fast as a 5400rpm HDD. I would imagine that capacity and possibly even speeds will be improving over the next couple of years as the mac theoretical capacity for the SDXC standard is 2TB.

6. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I have tried the SD thing. Sticks out far enough I had to worry about it. Sling in and out of the case, just sitting on my lap, the card was bumped and bent slightly an awful lot. But, I could play videos from it and copy to and from reasonably fast (sort of like a USB 2.0 external drive). Went with a nifty (hope it arrives this year) and I bought a 64gb micro SD for it. Slower than a hard drive for sure, but an injection of 64gb of storage without changing the system form factor is a win/win.

7. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I'll have to keep the Nifty minidrive in mind for future use. Though I probably could just as easily and cheaply use a regular sd card/micro adapter. I would just have to remember to remove it when packing the future MBP.

Would be a great way of storing all those damn text/small images/screen captures/pdfs/etc files that accumulate over time.