Does the Twitter App constantly use data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Roc P., Aug 12, 2012.

1. Roc P. macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 4S and I recently started using Twitter. I feel as if when the App is running in the background that it is constantly updating and using data on it's own. I can't find anything online about this. Any confirmation? I know the Facebook App doesn't do this.

2. 617aircav Suspended

If you recieve a notification it's using data, just like the email app.

3. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

What do you mean by running in the background? Do you mean when the app is completely closed and is gone from the multi-tasking menu? And you are just receiving push notifications?

If that is what you mean, then no, because push notifications I believe are run on Apples servers and not necessarily your phone. I'm not 100% sure, but please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

I turned all notification off for the Twitter App.

----------

All notifications for the Twitter App have been turned off. What I mean is, when I exit the App by pressing the home button and I DO NOT take it away from the multi tasking menu.

5. Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

Anybody?

No one?

The main reason I am wondering is because when I close out the Twitter App by pressing the home button, and I DON'T delete it from the multi tasking menu, when I open the App again, new tweets from people i follow are already loaded onto the timeline.

6. 617aircav Suspended

Are you sure its already loaded or maybe it just loaded quickly. On my iPad it loads when I enter the app.

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

This could be dpendent upon the twitter client you are using, also the settings. I use Tweetbot and it does not refresh until I either manually make it or I reopen the app. It does not do that in the background as the app is frozen.

8. Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

Def looks like it already loaded. I can scroll up instantly after opening the App.

----------

I am using the official Twitter App. I might look into Tweetbot, I have heard it is good.

9. Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

Update

OK so I just got the Tweetbot App and I turned off the Streaming setting. Seems to be the solution I was looking for. Tweetbot is actually a lot better than the official Twitter client. It's much easier to navigate and it allows me to see more.

10. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Tweetbot by far is the BEST Twitter app for the iPhone. Their Mac app is pretty good also, but it's in beta.

11. Roc P. thread starter macrumors regular

I am really glad I got it! On my iMac I don't mind using Twitter via Safari but I needed a change for iOS and Tweetbot was it!