Does the Twitter App constantly use data?

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
I have an iPhone 4S and I recently started using Twitter. I feel as if when the App is running in the background that it is constantly updating and using data on it's own. I can't find anything online about this. Any confirmation? I know the Facebook App doesn't do this.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I have an iPhone 4S and I recently started using Twitter. I feel as if when the App is running in the background that it is constantly updating and using data on it's own. I can't find anything online about this. Any confirmation? I know the Facebook App doesn't do this.
If you recieve a notification it's using data, just like the email app.

quietstormSD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
What do you mean by running in the background? Do you mean when the app is completely closed and is gone from the multi-tasking menu? And you are just receiving push notifications?

If that is what you mean, then no, because push notifications I believe are run on Apples servers and not necessarily your phone. I'm not 100% sure, but please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
If you recieve a notification it's using data, just like the email app.
I turned all notification off for the Twitter App.

----------

What do you mean by running in the background? Do you mean when the app is completely closed and is gone from the multi-tasking menu? And you are just receiving push notifications?

If that is what you mean, then no, because push notifications I believe are run on Apples servers and not necessarily you're phone. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
All notifications for the Twitter App have been turned off. What I mean is, when I exit the App by pressing the home button and I DO NOT take it away from the multi tasking menu.

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
Anybody?

No one?

The main reason I am wondering is because when I close out the Twitter App by pressing the home button, and I DON'T delete it from the multi tasking menu, when I open the App again, new tweets from people i follow are already loaded onto the timeline.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
No one?

The main reason I am wondering is because when I close out the Twitter App by pressing the home button, and I DON'T delete it from the multi tasking menu, when I open the App again, new tweets from people i follow are already loaded onto the timeline.
Are you sure its already loaded or maybe it just loaded quickly. On my iPad it loads when I enter the app.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
No one?

This could be dpendent upon the twitter client you are using, also the settings. I use Tweetbot and it does not refresh until I either manually make it or I reopen the app. It does not do that in the background as the app is frozen.

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
Are you sure its already loaded or maybe it just loaded quickly. On my iPad it loads when I enter the app.
Def looks like it already loaded. I can scroll up instantly after opening the App.

----------

This could be dpendent upon the twitter client you are using, also the settings. I use Tweetbot and it does not refresh until I either manually make it or I reopen the app. It does not do that in the background as the app is frozen.
I am using the official Twitter App. I might look into Tweetbot, I have heard it is good.

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
Update

OK so I just got the Tweetbot App and I turned off the Streaming setting. Seems to be the solution I was looking for. Tweetbot is actually a lot better than the official Twitter client. It's much easier to navigate and it allows me to see more.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
OK so I just got the Tweetbot App and I turned off the Streaming setting. Seems to be the solution I was looking for. Tweetbot is actually a lot better than the official Twitter client. It's much easier to navigate and it allows me to see more.
Tweetbot by far is the BEST Twitter app for the iPhone. Their Mac app is pretty good also, but it's in beta.

Roc P.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Long Island
Tweetbot by far is the BEST Twitter app for the iPhone. Their Mac app is pretty good also, but it's in beta.
I am really glad I got it! On my iMac I don't mind using Twitter via Safari but I needed a change for iOS and Tweetbot was it!