Does the unlocked T-Mobile variant works on AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GreatMightySymp, Oct 8, 2013.

1. GreatMightySymp macrumors member

GreatMightySymp

Apparently T-Mobile's coverage map lied as I'm getting really crappy 4G at best (bad ping and maybe 1MB download speed, if that, usually goes down to EDGE) as their rep. on the phone said the tower was too far away even though their map said "excellent 4G LTE coverage".

If I recall correctly, if you bought the phone in full from T-Mobile you can use it on any other GSM network, such as AT&T? I'm still in the 14-day window as far as cancellations go.

Any idea how I would purchase service through AT&T (I know they have good service in Lake Worth, FL in my area)? Would I need to do that thing where you get the SIM card and purchase a 2-year phone/data contract?

This is my first smartphone so I'm not too sure of the exact steps in this situation. Any help is appreciated. :)

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Yes. Should work perfectly. In fact I bought the Verizon unlocked version of the 5s, and right now it is working great on T-Mobile. So you will have no problem using ATT.

First, get an AT&T nanoSIM. That's all you need to do to switch over from T-Mobile to ATT, just pop it in. Just like if you were traveling overseas and wanted an overseas carrier.

Now, as for service: take advantage of the fact you have an unlocked phone. Don't lock yourself into a high-priced multi-year contract. If AT&T has a cheaper off-contract price with no phone subsidy, take advantage of it. Get the best, cheapest plan you can get. For example, doesn't ATT have the GO plan? AT&T is showing the 5s can be used -- and since you already own it, you obviously don't need to buy it from ATT. No deposit, no annual contract, no credit check. Maybe you can sign up for this, pop in a nanoSIM -- and you are done and good to go. It's the huge benefit of owning an unlocked phone.

3. Akack macrumors 6502a

Did u buy phone from t mobile or direct from apple?? Your post says from t mobile.....

If you bought from t mobile, even at full price, it's still LOCKED to t mobile. T mobile will unlock it after certain conditions are met.

If bought from apple then it's unlocked right away and u can use it on any GSM carrier of your choice.

4. GreatMightySymp thread starter macrumors member

GreatMightySymp

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html#planlist-ptip_sku6280283

So basically the $60 plan would work, then? 2 (or 3GB for an extra $10) would be fine for me since I don't heavily stream.

Seems like they apparently enabled visual voice mail and whatnot.

----------

I bought it from Apple.com on the 20th and had it delivered to me.

5. hbcubs macrumors member

I purchase a "T-Mobile Unlocked" iPhone directly from Apple and I'm using my AT&T SIM with no problems.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If you bring your own device, then you can take advantage of *any* offering AT&T has without getting locked into a contract. That goes for postpaid as well as prepaid plans.

7. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

Straight talk $45 a month ult mins text 2.5gb
    Uses atat towers

8. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Since you bought directly from Apple, it's SIM Unlocked and you can use it on ANY GSM carrier within the US or overseas.

9. GreatMightySymp thread starter macrumors member

GreatMightySymp

Is that using their new 4G LTE signal?

10. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

If LTE is available, you will get it. Again, using my iPhone 5s as an example, I bought it as the "Verizon" unlocked phone, which is CDMA. But the "Verizon" 5s also has the GSM radios. Right now, I am getting LTE on T-Mobile, as well as 4G on T-Mobile. All I did was pop in a T-Mobile nanoSIM and activate the SIM via T-Mobile website. Boom, full service on T-Mobile network through the 5s. It works, and works flawlessly.

Bottom line is, if your phone is unlocked, you are going to get LTE and 4G on GSM networks, if it is available. The unlocked 5s is a true international phone (especially the Verizon version, which is fully unlocked across most global cellular carriers, CDMA and GSM).

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Did you have to wait the 40 days I've been reading about before T-Mobile will unlock the phone? Or did you pop in the ATT nano-sim as soon as you got the T-Mobile phone. I'm afraid I'd have to wait those 40 days and be restricted. I just got back from Apple, and they did say a factory unlocked will definitely be released soon, soon being 1-2 months from the release date.

12. hbcubs macrumors member

I popped in my ATT SIM right out of the box and it worked. Did you purchase your phone from T-Mobile or Apple? Mine came directly from Apple.

13. alexpja macrumors member

It works on ATT just as well as it does on T-Mobile because all of the bands needed for T-Mobile and ATT are on the iPhone ever since T-Mobile got the iPhone. They made a second version of the A1428 GSM to include AWS.

14. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm definitely purchasing from Apple. Is there a difference if I purchased unlocked 5S full price directly from T-Mobile? I'll wait until the first week of Nov., if Apple, doesn't release an official factory unlock phone, I'll purchase the T-Mobile unlock phone from Apple. I need this phone by Nov. 15th.

I was also wondering if I had to unlock it through iTunes, but you had said, you popped in your ATT sim and it worked out of the box. Did you pop in your sim before you turned your phone on or after. Is there a presetup? Have never done this before. Usually, I sign a 2-yr contract, however, this time I'm purchasing full price for the first time.

I think Apple has a 14-day return policy if this does not work for me.

15. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Purchasing a T-Mobile model from Apple = Unlocked
    Purchasing a T-mobile model from T-Mobile = Locked until 'certain conditions are met'
    Apple has a 30 day return period for iPhones. Most carriers have a 14 day window.

16. hbcubs macrumors member

Do not purchase your phone from T-Mobile. If you want an unlocked phone you must purchase through Apple directly. I ordered the T-Mobile version online from the Apple Store at full price.

I did not need to plug my phone into iTunes. In fact, it's been ages since I've used iTunes now that there's iCloud. All my photos are transfered via Aperture and I subscribe to Spotify so no need to physically store music on my phone.