Does the US have a problem with Child Brides?

sim667

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-41727495/why-does-the-us-have-so-many-child-brides

Why does the US have so many child brides?
Angel was 13 when her mother forced her to marry and start a family. "I felt like a slave," she says of her childhood.

While countries like Zimbabwe, Malawi and El Salvador have recently banned child marriage, it remains legal in the US - and half of states have no set minimum age below which you cannot get married.

For the BBC's America First? series the BBC's Aleem Maqbool is exploring health and social issues where the US, the richest country in the world, does not perform well in international rankings.
I thought this would be an interesting topic of conversation and I'd like to know what the American counterparts think of this. I've checked the video with a VPN set to the US, so I think it should work for you all.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-41727495/why-does-the-us-have-so-many-child-brides

I thought this would be an interesting topic of conversation and I'd like to know what the American counterparts think of this. I've checked the video with a VPN set to the US, so I think it should work for you all.
I read this report with stupefaction earlier today.

Thank for starting a thread about this; the same thought crossed my mind, but - I was so busy - I didn't get around to it.

Reactions: sim667

sim667

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
I read this report with stupefaction earlier today.

Thank for starting a thread about this; the same thought crossed my mind, but - I was so busy - I didn't get around to it.
I knew that it wasn't that uncommon in some of the more uber religious states, but I didn't know it was so widespread.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Damn, they need to fix that ASAP. The law should state, you shouldn't be married to anyone that you're not legally allowed to have sex with. And absolutely no child under 16 should be allowed to get married period.

This is something most Americans don't even realize it's going on.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
This is something most Americans don't even realize it's going on.
I certainly didn’t. Unreal.

I have a 13 yo daughter. She’s pretty mature for her age, reasonably responsible. But...she isn’t even REMOTELY emotionally ready to be a wife and a mother. None of her friends are either. The idea of that literally makes my skin crawl.

I can’t imagine how vile one has to be to think a 13 yo girl should be someone’s bride. It seems like we are enabling sexual predators. The laws should absolutely be changed.

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Yeah 100,000 from 2000 - 2015? That is strange. I was under the impression that you couldn't get married under 18 without parent consent, but now it looks like the parents are pushing this onto their kids. Stupid really. Trump should sign an executive order to ban marriage under 18.
Make it 21 for 3 reasons: 1) We will still have a lot of teen pregnancy if 18 year olds are allowed to marry.;) 2) 21 is the legal drinking age. Wedding and booze goes together like a horse and carriage.:D 3) Most 18 year olds are rolling pennies for gas broke. No romance or bromance (I'm all for equality) without finance.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
!6 seems like a reasonable age for consent, but whatever the age is set at, as well as taking into account emotional maturity, it should reflect the ability to carry children without danger to the mother's health, for marriage is often about raising a family (I know, I know - not always – but often).

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Not news to me. I read this article some time ago and have seen this with my own eyes. Back when I was a freshman in HS one of my acquaintances 12 year old sister was married off to a senior in our school. Their family was reasonably poor and the seniors family was a farming family. Guess they saw it as a chance to get rid of an extra mouth to feed. I've often wondered what happened to her over the years.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Its probably because its not the norm for child brides in America, even though in the distant past marriage while young still happens. Perhaps not being the norm the laws haven't been changed to reflect that. If you watch the video its a cultural thing with the majority being initiated by the parents. In other countries it is a norm for arranged and to marry young ( Arranged marriage? )

fatalogic

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2016
The people who this affects the most have no voice or political power. Politician's aren't going to bring it up because their constituents don't know it's going on or they, themselves don't know. The major new stations aren't going to run it because to be honest America has shown it doesn't care about these type of issues enough to do anything more than tweet about it. You would be surprised to know how many people are sold into slavery in the U.S and at what events these transactions usually happen at.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Trump should sign an executive order to ban marriage under 18.
He can't. EO's are Federal level.
Marriage laws are typically set at the state level.
[doublepost=1508966199][/doublepost]
Laws need to be updated as soon as possible. There is simply no excuse for allowing this. 13 is way too young for marriage. Shockingly so.
Agreed. Here in AZ the minimum age is 16 with parental consent.

Code Section 25-102
Minimum Legal Age With Parental Consent Male: 16; Female: 16
Minimum Legal Age Without Parental Consent: Male: 18; Female: 18

Anyone younger basically would have to convince a Judge to allow it.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Make it 21 for 3 reasons: 1) We will still have a lot of teen pregnancy if 18 year olds are allowed to marry.;) 2) 21 is the legal drinking age. Wedding and booze goes together like a horse and carriage.:D 3) Most 18 year olds are rolling pennies for gas broke. No romance or bromance (I'm all for equality) without finance.
Eh....my wife and I were 19 and 20 respectively. If you’re old enough to make the decision to go to war for your country, you’re certainly old enough to decide to get married. Even if you can’t drink at your own wedding (which was the case for us :D).

Being broke was never an issue for us, it actually makes things easier in a way. You can’t fight over what you don’t have.:p

If you make the age too high, all you’ll end up with is more cohabitation (which I believe is bad), but it should definitely be higher. Certainly no lower than 16. My gut tells me 17-18.

The Trump kids seem to be well educated, responsible, mature, and successful adults who love their parents.
I'm sure there are universes parallel to ours where that is true. In this one however the Trump kids appear to range between shrewd and complete dumb-ass, between responsible and witless fool, and between successful and couldn't hold a job as a dustman if he hadn't been born rich.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
But but but religious freedom! The government can't force me to bake a gay cake, and it can't force me to wait for my bride to be able to legally consent before marrying her.
We allow gay marriage, as long as there are two consenting adults (the parents) why bother having an age at all?

Reactions: tshrimp

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Prior to the internet being more common place, I always presumed the proper modern age for marrying was in your late 20s to very early 30s.

Marrying in your teens or very early 20s was something you'd hear from different countries but several decades back.