Does this explain fake news?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jan 14, 2017.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Josh Greenman, opinion writer for the New York Daily News, actually tweeted this yesterday. Perhaps "fake news" stems from utter ignorance?

IMG_4360.jpg

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well ignorance is what got Trunp elected. People don't know how to use critical thinking anymore. Is it no longer taught in school?

3. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Why is it so easy for you to call a large population ignorant and lacking of what you consider "Critical thinking?".

4. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Because they (you?) voted for someone with no experience whatsoever in government, diplomacy, short temper, dubious history, based on very vague promises. Political differences aside, many Democrats would welcome someone balanced in the Republican camp, just like many Republicans would welcome a Democrat move away from career politicians who in the end don't get anything done.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2017 ---
    Also regarding the opening post, I don't see the point. Most people don't know what a CV joint is or does, and they still drive a car just fine.

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I don't see how that Tweet qualifies as "fake news" - under pretty much any definition of the term.

To begin with, Greenman is an actual journalist, employed by an actual newspaper. One that is read by many thousands of real people, in a real US city. Moreover, he is employed as an opinion writer at that newspaper,

Secondly, Greenman's Tweet merely asks a (somewhat rhetorical) question: How many people reading it could identify the meanings of a number of computer-related acronyms? There may have been some bias and/or preconceptions in the Tweet - but he's basically asking a question. I can think of several very intelligent people who would not be able to answer that question. Likewise I know of a great number of absolute idiots who almost certainly could answer correctly.

The relationship between the question asked, and the prevalence of what most reasonable people call "fake news" is entirely nonexistent.

Lastly, I would suggest that Greenman was doing something that real journalists do: Ask questions. Whether the answer to the question in Greenman's Tweet is significant or not, I can't tell you. But it certainly does nothing to explain fake news.

6. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Do democrats like being considered emotional snowflakes? How can people have a decent debate with another if they're constantly looking down on them? People didn't vote for him because they knew he lacked experience, rather that his experience was from something outside of politics. It was a change that people desired.

And a CV joint (Constant Velocity joint) rarely needs to be changed unless the protective boot is damaged. I think usually you can just get away with replacing the boot and re-greasing it. It's the drive shaft that's a PITA. Had one go out on an old Ford explorer. On the highway no less. Scary to hear your engine rev, RPMs rise, but you aren't moving anymore.

7. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Greenman is tweeting about technology and is obviously ignorant on the subject, since he believes that the acronyms ROM, RAM, and CPU are obsolete and archaic. We should also ask (of him and of all journalists) on what other topics is he writing that he is utterly ignorant?

Fake news may simply be the inevitable result of ignorant journalists.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Agreed. Democrats ignorance got trump to the top
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2017 ---
    It's a FORD, you should be used to your engine revving w/o you going anywhere:p

9. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I had so many so called friends on Facebook call me names over me voting for Trump. It reminds me of how I'm treated when I go to a mechanic shop. I'm a girl and they start explaining things like I'm 5. Sure I'm not ASE certified but not all women are blathering idiots either.

Everyone has their own skill set and strengths. To belittle someone because they don't agree with you or share your mindset, it drives me nuts. We all had our reasons for voting for who we did but to hear I'm a racist, bigoted, xenophobic, homophobic, white (I'm half Hispanic) idiot really didn't make for good debates.

Edit: I got the Ford for free and the Kia was cheap. My lesson was learned. You get what you pay for usually! Haha!

This was from private talk forum:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

As well as voter ignorance on both sides not wanting better candidates. The republicans never though Trump would win so they said, ehh what harm could it do. We will just use it as an excuse to bitch about Hillary for 4 years. The Democrats thought Trump would never win, we will just use it as 4 years to bitch about Hillary.

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Some people try to interpret things that need no interpretation. Some things need to just be taken at face value.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think you are making assumptions that have very little evidence to back them up.

While acronyms such as RAM and ROM certainly aren't obsolete, I think the argument could be made that many ordinary people, who use gadgets on a daily basis, have very little understanding of the technology behind them. I doubt, for instance, that my 78-year-old mother has the slightest idea how much RAM her iPad or iMac has. Or what that term refers to. That certainly doesn't make her in any way ignorant or uninformed.

Secondly, you are assuming things about Greenman's own level of comprehension and understanding of both technology and society itself that simply are not supportable with, you know, evidence.

Maybe you think Greenman's Tweeted question was stupid. That's your opinion and you are welcome to it. But since Greenman works for a reputable newspaper, one that tens of thousands of people actually pay money to read, then the assertion that Greenman's Tweet in any way explains the existence of "fake news" is absurd.

"Fake News" became a household word over the past several months because stupid, gullible people preferred to believe a reality that was being written for them by teenagers in some obscure town in Eastern Europe; rather than the facts that were being reported, on a daily basis, by real journalists like Greenman.

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I knew all about the issues. I voted for Trump. I would do it again.

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

fake news is written by people who know it's fake.....utter ignorance is what leads to believing fake news

15. chown33 macrumors 604

I don't think it's just ignorance. I think gullibility also plays a significant part. I'm nearly ready to begin a Kickstarter campaign to fund research into this. The startup website is:
    http://example.org/gullibility-research

16. macmee Suspended

macmee

I love how you go on about fake news

and yet you've made like 5 threads in the past few days filled with incorrect crap such as how no presidents ever do farewell addresses lol

17. Irishman macrumors 68030

Ah, then you didn't vote FOR Trump.

You voted AGAINST Hillary.

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Technically, my ballot didn't have me casting votes AGAINST anybody. ;)

19. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

It makes her every bit as ignorant and uninformed about tech as Mr. Greenman, who believes that RAM and CPUs went out with 8" floppy disks.

20. Irishman macrumors 68030

Your signature betrays your hatred for Hillary.

21. chown33 macrumors 604

Please explain how you came to that conclusion from what's been posted here.

It may well be true, I'm just asking for evidence of it in the writings of Mr. Greenman.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

When my math teacher asked me to give him the definition of a logarithm, it wasn't because he didn't know the answer.

23. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I would say critical thinking is exactly what the states exhibited when they passed on that cankled slob Hillary.

24. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Frequent it seems with the coming of Trump it's being used to deny association with negative information that surfaces... you know just because he said so is good enough for some of us to dismiss it. :rolleyes:

Ironic that Breitbart seems to know all about the generation of fake news to be used on opponents, and are standing by ready to use the term to dismiss any accusations leveled at their orange hair'd idol.

25. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

right because trump passes the critical thinking threshold. his great brain makes him a beacon of critical thinking. his tweeting makes him above reproach.