Does this shorten an iPhones battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Laidbackal, Dec 25, 2011.

  1. Laidbackal macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2011
    #1
    Does using your iPhone while it is fully charged while still plugged in. And playing games or browsing the web does this shorten the battery life because the phone is still plugged in just wondering.
     
  2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

    scaredpoet

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    #2
    It shouldn't so long as you let your battery run down at least once a month, then charge it back up all the way.
     
  3. wordoflife macrumors 604

    wordoflife

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    #3
    Nope it's fine. Assuming you actually use it as a phone too (in other words, remove it from the charger at some point), it's getting enough discharges/recharges to keep the battery healthy.
     
  4. thewitt macrumors 68020

    thewitt

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2011
    #4
    Lithium ion batteries do not have memory like Ni cad batteries. They do have a fixed number of cycles in them however, and are actually stressed more when you allow them to fully discharge before charging. This full discharge-charge actually will shorten the life of you battery compared to charging at 75% - though once a month is fine.
     
  5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

    Stealthipad

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2010
    #5
    The cord from the charger will wear out first!
     
  6. SandboxGeneral, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

    SandboxGeneral Moderator

    SandboxGeneral

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    Location:
    Orbiting a G-type Main Sequence Star
    #6
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

    This is true and to add to it:

    Devices with lithium-ion batteries are designed to stop charging at 100%. This is why sometimes you'll see your percentage at less than 100% though it's still on the charger.

    1 of 2 things are happening. The device will charge to 100% and stop, but if the phone is on the charger long enough and being used, it will drain the battery until it gets somewhere around 94% before the charger starts up again. Trickle charging lithium-ion batteries will work to destroy them, and these devices don't do that, which is why you see the dip in percentage.

    The other thing is that one of the cells might not be matched closely with the other cells in the battery and could be off by a few micro-volts. When charging, the device will only charge the battery to the maximum capacity of the first cell that reaches 100%. That would be the cell that didn't get matched properly at the factory and can sometimes be corrected by letting the battery drain all the way down once in a while.

    Lithium-ion battery's like to be charged and letting them go too far down, too often will lessen their lifespan.

    From Battery University:

     
  7. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

    bjb.butler

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2008
    Location:
    Southern California
    #7


    That's not what Apple seems to think...
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/
     
  8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

    SandboxGeneral

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    Location:
    Orbiting a G-type Main Sequence Star
    #8
    That's correct, but not a contradiction. The fast charge goes to 80% then trickle charges from there the remaining 20%. Once it reaches 100% it stops the trickle charge until it drains (while on the charger) back down to 94%, or thereabouts and then begins charging again. Ni-Cad and other types of batteries will continue to trickle charge at 100% in order to keep them there. Doing that to a lithium-ion will ruin it.
     

Share This Page