Does this sound like it'll work? (Google Voice)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulbennett95, Apr 11, 2013.

1. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I have an iPhone 4S AT&T with StraightTalk, which costs me $45/month for unlimited everything.

T-Mobile has $30/month prepaid with 100 min unlimited texting and data, which I'm going to switch to.

I don't call much, but I plan to use Google Voice for calling because I know 100 minutes isn't enough.

Does this sound like it'll work for me, is Google Voice practical for my main calling line?

If I were to port my cell number to google voice and used Voice for calling and texting, would data still work on my phone with the number ported to Voice?

2. vanluuk macrumors member

You need separate numbers for tmobile and google voice

So port your number to google voice and get a new tmobile number for the sim
    Or port your number to tmobile and use the number google gives you for google voice.

3. paulbennett95 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Okay I guess ill just use the new google voice for calling+texting.
    My iPhone is jailbroken on 6.1.2 so I can't update it, will T-Mobile work with my phone and will the APN settings be updated?
    Thanks

4. SoLongAndroid macrumors member

I have used this method with that plan since I got my phone last year. Google voice for calling out or calling back since I don't usually have a chance to answer when people call me. So when I call back I just use my google voice number but my t-mobile number for texting and voice mail. I have MMS working and the 4G/LTE hack that was written about.

I am not going to bother getting the new phone since I am near wifi and the 4G most of the time and when I do hit an EDGE area I am only doing light browsing so it doesn't bother me.

This is the "hack" I went with

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/03/28/t-mobile-iphone-5-lte-hack/

5. vanluuk macrumors member

You can even listen to your voicemail using google voice or bobsled :)
    Call your tmobile number using google voice , wait for the voicemail msg, hit * and your tmobile pin.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

op, you should know that google voice by itself is not a replacement for voice calls. that is, you can't make voice voip calls from the google voice app. you'll need a third party app like talkatone or gv phone.

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

I'm not sure you'll even get 3G with tmobile and without that, you can't use VoIP. The official google voice app uses minutes, not data. And the VoIP apps that can receive phone calls don't have good voice quality. Vonage is free and sounds decent but can only make calls and not receive calls.