Does this thought process make any sense to you?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by darksithpro, Jul 19, 2017.

1. darksithpro macrumors regular

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...h_any_russian_you_are_meeting_with_putin.html

The Democrats in congress can't seem to differentiate the difference between the Russian government and people of Russian ethnicity.

"On CNN last weekend, Illinois Democratic Rep. Mike Quigley explained his concern about Donald Trump Jr.'s meeting with a Russian lawyer who is alleged to have ties to the Kremlin.

REP. MIKE QUIGLEY: I think that there was coordination. I think you are starting to see public evidence of that coordination. Not just the meeting with Trump Jr., but others as well. Roger Stone suggesting he had a relationship with Julian Assange and WikiLeaks, knowing that John Podesta was next in the barrel...

Look, I don't want to get into specifics about the digital operation... that are not in the public domain... I think you see a clear pattern of people in the Trump campaign coordinating with Russians.

I think what we're learning with the Trump Jr. meeting is when you meet with any Russians, you're meeting with Russian intelligence. And, therefore, President Putin."

Isn't that literally alienating an entire race of people, based on prejudice? The Democrats say not all Arabs are Muslim, not all Muslims are evil in which I agree, yet they have no problem putting ALL Russians into one category, that they are all Kremlin spies?

2. samcraig macrumors P6

No. It's saying in this context - it's likely not by accident.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You're misinterpreting the meaning of his words. Every Russian isn't a spy. But the Russians meeting (note that key word) with Donald Trump Jr., during the campaign were likely serving Russian intelligence.

Donald Trump didn't meet with all Russians. Therefore, Quigley is not stating that all Russians are working in intelligence ... just the ones clandestinely meeting with the trump jr.

4. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

So, that means from now on every time Trump speaks to a Russian person, that person is automatically considered a Russian spy from your perspective?

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Well Trump would know who the spies are...

6. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

Don't you mean NYT, WAPO, CNN and MSNBC? They seem to be the leaders of the pack when it comes to accusing Trump of collusion.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think it depends on circumstances. If he meets clandestinely with four or so Russians, there's a good chance of them being tied to Russian intelligence. On the other hand, if he attends a Russian dinner, and presses the flesh with hundreds of Russian guests, then the chances of each person being connected to intelligence drops significantly.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

It means you're reaching to try and make the comment more than it is.

9. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

How's he supposed to effectively improve relations with Russia, when every time he, or his staff communicates with them the Liberal MSM makes it out to be some Putin conspiracy? I bet if he had a meal with Russian dressing, it would probably leak out and be front page news on Wapo.

10. Zenithal macrumors 601

I've mentioned I've traveled to Russia and former Block countries before. You will meet many people. Most nice, some dislike Americans but will grow on you if you can drink and eat like them, which I can, easily. Then there's people who will stick around and look out of place. Granted, this was a few years after the fall, but I'm sure some were curious why an American would be traveling so much. In later years, I worked in government and still traveled. Sometimes felt like I was being followed. My work partner at the time had a good sense about this and we'd always double back or move in between large crowds and then observe who we thought were following us. I'm not the paranoid type. Years later, I suppose they just wanted to speak to an American or ask for a few US dollars because they'd get so much of their domestic money in exchange.

If you work in the US government, have family like the Trump's who do, or you're a contractor like some of you guys are, be suspicious of anyone who wants to talk to you out of the blue in real life.

Edit: By look out of place I mean their clothes. At the time, we were in a major region of Russia. Very modern then, but most did not have the funds to wear nice new clothing. Those with money did, but how they carried themselves was very apparent. When you see a more common person wearing clothing you recognize that's from outside the country and the region of eastern Europe, but doesn't carry an air of importance, your gut is going to tell you to watch out.

11. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

LOL, there's this series on Netflix called Quantico, what you described is exactly what the recruits learned at the FARM, as they call it. That's Hollywood stuff though...

12. Zenithal macrumors 601

It's basic schooling for anyone who goes overseas. I don't know what it's like now, but I can't imagine it being much different. Granted my job at the time wasn't cool. It was just observation for future aid. It was a truly boring job that I got roped into by a former friend. Keyword being former. The pay was alright, travel was free but crappy. Trip allowance was garbage, however, US dollars went a long ways then. I don't know how it is now.

The worst memory I have is us ordering a lot of food, enough to feed a few people, and the locals looking from afar into the restaurants. We weren't aware how bad the situation was at the time. What we were eating was worth 2-3 months wages for the average person there.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 19, 2017 ---
    Health benefits were very good, though. Especially dental.

13. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

I was told that pretty much everything involves a monetary bribe over there, from school grades, getting out of tickets and jail, to business deals, all the way to the top.

14. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

Of that, I couldn't say. However, if you are Junior and go into a meeting for which you got an email saying the meeting is with a "Russian government lawyer with dirt on Hillary" and one of the other Russians works for the KGB equivalent of Jack Bauer's CTU then their Russian ethnicity is secondary at that point. Yes?

15. Zenithal macrumors 601

Just looked it up. I remember seeing the promo. I figured it would be canceled. Looks like a stupid show. You've also got your training grounds wrong. Our training was just classroom instruction. Felt very odd being back in a classroom in those days.

Either you were being followed because they deemed you suspicious, they wanted money, cigarettes, they were pimps or they fancied you. The last one being very strange because you simply do not expect it.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

He could start by releasing his financials. By testifying. By presenting facts instead of trying to discredit the media. Trump isn't some victim. Again - Karma.

Personally, he needs to improve relations in this country.

17. Zenithal macrumors 601

Then, yes, now, no. Save for a few people, corruption usually gets you the boot because the people there are more vigilant. In those days? You could pay the police anywhere from $20-100 USD and do about as much as you wanted with limits. In the late 90s, this was a lot of money when it was converted. We even drank with off duty police. A lot of people pulled their own spirits in those days. Some of the best tasting stuff you'll ever have in your life.

My only bad drink experiences was years before on personal travel with a friend. The worst drink that was very common, moreso than vodka, was slivovitz. A very disgusting drink. Something @Scepticalscribe will agree with me on here.

18. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I think you tried this line of thinking in a previous thread, preferring to ignore when I said something similar it was in context with meetings anyone 45 campaign related had. At this point, you can guess with pretty good odds that if anyone tied to the 45 campaign met with someone who happens to be Russian, that someone probably has something also to do with someone in the Russian government.

In the case of Jr. it becomes hilarious in context where people are referring to that meeting as a clown car, as more & more Russian ( a money launderer? o_O Yeah, that's not suspicious looking ) citizens are discovered in a previously reported supposedly innocent meeting.

If anyone should be alienated, it should be anyone who's ever worked on a presidential campaign, because 45 & friends are making them look bad.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Seems like Donnie's cross to bear. He'll have to overcome it somehow.

Maybe he could start by being a better president. That would help to take everybody's mind off the Russia thing.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Making Adversaries Great Again

21. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, for the love of god, do NOT get that a trending slogan!

22. samcraig macrumors P6

It might be too much for a hat. But shirts? Bumper stickers? Sicles?

23. darksithpro thread starter macrumors regular

You don't have the viewership of reddit, would never take off.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

But I could get it going ON reddit LOL

25. MadeTheSwitch, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Ah yes...the old Sean Spicer line. Seems like Trump defenders all get their talking points from the same stale place. Time for new material.

Amazingly this is the second time this week that I've been able to point this out. That Russian dressing thing must really be making the rounds again. :rolleyes: