Does this void warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Nov 3, 2011.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Returned my 4S today, buying a white one next week. The guy who was doing my return had a brand new black 4S with a white back!

He said if I wanted a white one with a black back, go on Amazon and buy one. He said Amazon sells official Apple ones. He also said replacing the back does not void warranty.

But if my phone needs service, he said to just put the white back on.

He then asked 4 other blue shirts, and they said it does not void warranty by unscrewing the screws and replacing the back.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because none of the parts on the iPhone are user serviceable, removing the back does void the warranty.

3. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

I don't understand why 5 blue shirts would say otherwise.

Plus...how would they even tell I replaced the back?

4. kage207 macrumors 6502a

It does void the warranty like stated above. Secondly, yes if you want service of any kind you need to place the old one back on.

EDIT: If you leave it on and take it in (meaning a black back or not yours), they won't service it. If you then go home and change it, they should service it. Just don't strip the screws or you'll have to buy new ones.

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

That's just it, they can't. That's why it doesn't void the warranty if you replace the original parts.

6. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Okay I got 2 diff answers in this thread.

I know if I take it in with a white front/black back they will notice I replaced it.

But once I get my white iPhone, I will put a black back on it. If for any reason I need service, I will put the white back piece back on.

So what does it mean "stripping the screws"??

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Its very easy to damage the screws on iPhones.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Stripping screws just means your screwdriver can no longer tighten or losen the screws because the screw just wears out over time if you keep on using it.

9. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Any tips to avoid not stripping them?

10. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Have you ever don any repair work? It means that you rip the screws points for the screw driver to go into the screws. Meaning that you cannot pull them out then because the screw driver has no points of leverage to turn the screw so be careful.

What the blue shirts said is correct. They cannot tell what you've done UNLESS you leave it the way you want it OR you make it so where the screws are unusable. I hope that clear things up. Oh even if it's not a hardware issue and it's software, I still wouldn't bring it in with a black back.
    EDIT: Meaning if you ever need service.

11. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Um yea. Don't over tighten them.

12. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Got it. Def won't tighten them or ever go in with a white front/ black back.

Thanks everyone for answering my Qs.

13. kage207 macrumors 6502a

No worries. Enjoy.

14. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Buy an extra set of screws, remove the apple ones and keep them in a safe place. Use the ones u purchased day to day and if you need servicing use the original screws.

15. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wow, very good tip! Exactly what I will do.

Do you know a good place I can buy some good screws and a nice black backplate?

Oh and does anyone else on here have a white/black front with a white/black back?

16. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

I think it'll look weird but if it suits your tastes...... Go for it :D

17. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

I had a red back on my i4. It's so easy to remove. And black on red looked sick. Now I just got a white 4S. And won't touch the back.

18. jason1790 macrumors member

Hey. I run my own iPod and iPhone repair business (www.theappledude.com) and I work on iPhone 4's all the time. If you have the necessary screwdriver, you will not strip the screws. Also, the back comes right off. If you replace your back plate with a different color Apple will never know as long as if you need to get it serviced, you put your original plate back on. There are security features further into the disassembly process that Apple has put in place to know if a user tampers with their device.

It may void your warranty, but Apple would never know.

-Jason

19. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Read The Booklet

That came with your phone.....it's pretty clear, if you open it, you void your warranty....Why not just get a snap on back? Pretty much all colours are available.

20. Saidar macrumors newbie

You should be able to find everything you need from here