Does Touch ID learn over time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kcvpr, Oct 30, 2014.

1. kcvpr macrumors newbie

I had my iPhone 6+ replaced yesterday for a cosmetic dent in the metal casing. Since then I have noticed that Touch ID isn't performing as quickly as with the last device.

Does Touch ID 'learn' your fingerprint over time. Or did I just not set up the fingerprints as well as I did with the last device?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

could be in how you set it up you really have to get the print in all different angles because you can be holding the device differently everytime

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

I've already taught mine how to play dead and roll over. It didn't like fetch so much.

4. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I don't get what you mean learn over time.

Whatever fingerprints are stored during setup better be the only ones allowed or else this could be a security loophole to reimage a user's fingerprint?

5. WilliamG macrumors G3

I don't believe it. Despite what Apple may say. It either works or it doesn't. Winter is tougher, since fingers get cracks, dry out etc.

6. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Put your primary prints in 2 or even 3 times in seperate "fingers" and you'll see the phone unlock much faster...but to answer your question it does seam to "learn" over time....first week my Touch ID was slower than just swiping to unlock like I'm use to but now its almost too fast! Sometimes I just want to check the time and not unlock!

7. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Source?

8. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

A finger may not change, but each time you press is a little different angle and each time you press is a little different pressure. If Apple required 100% match, you would either have to give dozens upon dozens of samples or most attempts would have to fail. So to improve success with only 2 or 3 samples, there has to be a % variation, a margin of error. Within that margin, they could map more variations, increasing the library of correct answers, and even boosting the % match requirement.

9. JohnEx2007 macrumors newbie

I don't think it learns. How you set up your fingerprint has a lot of impacts on how it behaves later on; make sure you took snapshot of all angles of your finger when doing that.

10. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Maybe you are right, however on the first few days when I registered my prints I have had few failures, but now I can't remember the last failure... maybe it occurs when am walking on the rain and fingers are somehow wet. That may be related to update improvements too, I don't know.

11. leventozler macrumors 6502

Just tested it again. Keep locking and unlocking with your finger and move it a couple of millimeters each time. Or you can do it in 'touch id & password' menu in settings.

Touch ID adds the 'new' region around your 'known' print. Keep unlocking and you will be able to unlock with a region you haven't initialized with.

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5949?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

That takes some serious skill...

14. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

bwuahahahaha!!!! I lulzd at this

----------

as far as ur original question is concerned OP... I don't think so, I believe it's how you position your fingers and cover as many angles as possible.

here's my tip: when you setup the touchID, try to touch it as many angles as possible, and make sure you touch it the way you would unlock it. i.e. if you're heavy handed on the right thumb, press it that way.

15. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Oh geez.

On a serious note, if you're having issues register the same finger more than once.

16. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

This is an Internet. Why would facts have anything to do with people's opinions? :)