Does Trump's Tax Plan Deliver On His Promise To The Middle Class

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Nov 15, 2016.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Doesn't appear so.

Also seems like it's possible that his plan will increase our debt - something he said the opposite of. Clearly nothing is etched in stone yet. No need to "panic" yet...

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/13/501739277/who-benefits-from-donald-trumps-tax-plan

But if the middle class taxes are raised, I'm pretty sure Trump can kiss a 2nd term goodbye. I know it's not the only reason people voted for him, but it's a big one.

2. Moyank24, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016

Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I just saw an article from Forbes that talks about how his tax plan will also hurt single parents.

I'm absolutely an idiot when it comes to taxes, so can someone dumb this down for me? Is this true, or are they making something out of nothing.

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

The article I linked says the same

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Trump's plan eliminates the $4000 per person exemption for each person in a household. A single parent with two children would thus have an automatic $12,000 exemption. Under Trump's plan not only would those single parents be paying tax on the first dollar of income they earned, but they would be paying a higher (12%) rate than the current rate of 10%.

Conversely, the truly affluent would see their top rates fall from 40% to 33%. The business owner or investment banker making $10 million a year would pay about $550,000 less.

Way to tackle income inequality in this country! While making the deficit trillions of dollars worse.

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Well, that kind of sucks.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 15, 2016 ---
    As a single parent with 2 children, this scares the hell out of me.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

So we'll get both trickle down economics from rich individuals and corporations, both of which will be taxed less.

Pardon my language, but does anybody else feel that trickle-down economics feels like being pissed on from on high?

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What the **** does he have against the unmarried? Ivanka's child care plan also hoses single parents.

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Well clearly he believes that men and women should stay married no matter what ;) Oh wait...