Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egraphixstudios

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
what if your in the country side where there is no reception?

that kinda sucks.. tomtom stored locally...

dw3bb10

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
Yes, but not much. Respect your data usage to increase regardless with LTE. Eveything is faster so you will probably use it more.

egraphixstudios

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
What if you live in a place with cell service and don't want to spend $50 on a tomtom app?

that kinda sucks... apple maps navigation is free...

Buy a navigator software package for the phone with the feature to store data locally then.

I already own the tomtom app... :rolleyes:

just seems the idea of a streaming navigation app is pointless.. since when driving (motorway) the data signal is jumping from cell tower to cell tower.. and you would definitely loose data connectivity...

rjflyn

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2007
Absolutely, but very little from what I gather...

Actually one would be surprised by how much data turn by turn uses. Just read the other data for instance Verizon's app uses 5mb/hr its on. So 2-3 hrs commuting a day times 5 days a week thats 525mb every 4 wks- that just driving to work. Heavy users probably much more than that.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012

just seems the idea of a streaming navigation app is pointless.. since when driving (motorway) the data signal is jumping from cell tower to cell tower.. and you would definitely loose data connectivity...

Most people don't... :rolleyes:

Seems to work fine for years on Google Maps Navigation without losing data connectivity by your cell tower changing as your drive...

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Actually one would be surprised by how much data turn by turn uses. Just read the other data for instance Verizon's app uses 5mb/hr its on. So 2-3 hrs commuting a day times 5 days a week thats 525mb every 4 wks- that just driving to work. Heavy users probably much more than that.

yeah I have to say when I started using the turn-by-turn navigation I was shocked at how much my data increased. I dont know the hard numbers as to what the app uses, but i did notice a significant increase in data use.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

Unless Apple caches your route.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012

3 hours a day commuting?! Good lord :eek:

The people doing that have bigger things to worry about than using 525mb of data on their 2-3GB per month plan ;)

Also you would have to assume that if someone was commuting to work every day 5 days a week that they would know their driving route by now and not use Apple Maps Navigation if they wanted to save data.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

Apple is using vector based maps instead of tiles like previous solutions, so the data usage should be greatly reduced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.