does using apple’s ipad “laptop replacement pro” make you want a touchscreen macbook?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FrozenDarkness, Dec 9, 2018.

1. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

I find it funny that people have been defending apple’s decision not to include a touchscreen but apple’s ipad pro is the best argument for one. I constantly find myself reaching for the screen as I do with my ipad pro and keyboard to scroll through websites and to open apps.

Anybody else do this?

2. PJivan macrumors 6502

PJivan

No it doesn’t, just makes you want a less limited ios (file system, external hd, two instances of the same app, extended screen, etcc)

3. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Yeah, when more iOS-centric apps appear on macOS a touch screen MacBook makes total sense. At the moment there's just a few stock iOS apps running on the desktop (News, Stocks etc). This will increase this year.

It's all part of the plan anyway. In 1-2 years all iOS apps will run natively on macOS which makes a touch-screen Mac inevitable.

4. PJivan macrumors 6502

PJivan

The point is to unify development (and it will benefit both platform) not to have a touch screen macbook, that will never happen, why bring touch in a non optimised touch os when you have a 12 years old OS designed for touch controls and that is only limited by choice?
    You would rather start from iOs with a decent file system and better multi tasking ability which is exactly what we will see in the future.

5. TaikoHax macrumors newbie

Man i'd love a touchscreen mac.

Used to have a lovely 15" Retina MBp when they came out, then waited around (as many of us did no doubt) for them to update the Macbook Air with a nicer display.

When i got tired of waiting i got an outlet XPS 13 as an 'interim' smaller device (as i tended to use the MBp as a desktop replacement) and now i can't imagine going back to a touchless laptop.

Going back onto your point though :

Wasn't there rumors that Apple were planning on unifying their OS' at some point? or moving towards a similar kind of convergence that Win 10 and the now dead Windows Phone was aiming for?

Certainly OSX is starting to look dated and i can see advantages of iOS taking a half step towards OSX and vice versa.

Apologies if that's old and dead news - i only dip in and out of the rumor pool.

6. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I wouldnt say so much a touchscreen laptop, but more MacOS type functionality in iOS. I have no complaints using Duet or a remote desktop app to simulate this, I absolutely love the possibility for a more versatile iPad.

7. ericwn, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018

ericwn macrumors 68000

No desire for a touchscreen or multitouch Mac on my side.

8. DNichter, Dec 10, 2018

DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

I wouldn't want a touch screen MacBook (macOS isn't good for touch input), but I'd love a clam shell iOS-book. I'd imagine something like the current iPad Pro, with a hinge, and a touchscreen keyboard/trackpad combo that can adapt to whatever app is being used, similar to the touch bar. That would be almost the perfect device for me.

9. XtremeArtists macrumors member

XtremeArtists

No.

10. seadragon Contributor

Yes.

11. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

I have a touch laptop screen from work and after the novelty of having a touch screen wore off, I stopped using it. UI elements are small and fiddly when trying to interact using fingers. For me anyway, others may like it.

12. JP913 macrumors regular

JP913

I think all these folks asking for a touch-enabled MacOS would immediately start complaining about how it’s not optimized for touch “why can’t it be as easy as iOS?!”

The solution for a touch enabled MacOS already exists, assuming you have a Mac of some kind (via Duet or Astropad/Luna)...it’s literally what is being asked for. An iPad that works like a Mac AND an iPad.

I don’t think we’ll ever see a touch-enabled Mac...maybe a Pencil enabled screen, but not touch.

13. PJivan macrumors 6502

PJivan

This is what people don't understand, look at what Microsoft did.....
    There is already a mac os touch version and it's called ios, instead of wanting touch on mac os people should demand Apple to get rid of some stupid restriction that have no place in the ipad pro.

full file system (ability to save whatever we are working on in any folder an open it with any other app that support that media), full usb-c support (dropping or grabbing any file from external drives, enhancing drivers management) customizable external monitor settings, ability to run two instances of the same app, a freaking torrent client (nope is not for piracy) a full desktop browser were I can download anything were I want to would be a great start!

I really hope Apple don't let us down with iOS 13

14. spacebro macrumors 6502

I used to be a macbook fanboy, was thrilled in 2012 to replace all of my computer hardware with a beast of a macbook pro. I used to hang around here and cry about no ram upgrades and stuff, would have been super thrilled with the latest 6 core 32gb release. But its too late for the macbook. I don't run my own VMs anymore I use the cloud. If I need a powerful local VM its going to be for work and I just get them to setup a box in a closet somewhere. Running your own VMs on a laptop is working harder not smarter.

I'm at the point where I hate using my macbook. I'm constantly trying to touch the screen to do things. I also hate how its so heavy and it gets so hot for no damn reason. Even once you shed every consumer task, no youtube or spotify or email, no browser tabs open- and it just gets hot for no reason. I hate all the fragile stuff that has to be installed and never quite works correctly, such as python, gimp, and anything that depends on a huge web of open source stuff to work. On one hand I like how they shed all that legacy crud by putting ios on their tablets. On the other hand I need to wait for several key apps to come out before I can truly go ipad-only. If they would just release xcode for ipad I would be so happy to rarely ever have to use my macbook.

15. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

Not really, because the most useful touch screen uses to me are without a keyboard attached. I don’t want a keyboard in the way when I am drawing or holding a device close in hand. When the keyboard is attached, I’m using it and don’t prefer touch to mouse.

16. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Nope. I have no trouble with treating and iPad like an iPad and a MacBook like a MacBook. And I’m happy for them to stay separate
    --- Post Merged, Dec 10, 2018 ---
    But of course that touchscreen Mac would have Mac OS. Just with some kind of touch happy overlay. Cause that will work great

17. PJivan macrumors 6502

PJivan

There is a reason if windows 10 is a UI design marvel :D

18. ericwn macrumors 68000

Failures of others doesn’t mean much especially if it’s MS. They should not be the benchmark for Apple.

19. bnmcj1, Dec 10, 2018

bnmcj1 macrumors 6502

I quit buying more Apple for that reason alone and ordered a surface book. Not gonna sit and wait for incremental steps towards laptop replacement when the competition has better and more innovative solutions. No touch screen and not a 2 in 1 in 2018? No buy.

This is from an Apple user since 2004 that previously could never imagine to use anything other than Mac. I have an iPad Pro and while it is a good toy for consumption I really regret the purchase as it is useless for simple text editing tasks. How can anything be so counter intuitive? I don’t know.

In fact I will likely not buy an eventual 2 in 1 from Apple, as I disagree with their current approach of not offering a true touch screen laptop replacement.

20. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Sometimes, out of habit. But I don’t want a touch-screen Mac. I think that would be a bad idea.

I do want a powerful A-series ARM MacBook Pro, though :)

21. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Anyone claiming to be a huge apple user for years who uses the whole ‘toy’ line clearly isn’t a huge user or at least one that never bothered to learn how to use all that stuff they bought for years. The iPad even before the Pro could do way more than consumption and text editing.

But hey, you go enjoy your Surface. It’s your money after all. Perhaps it will keep you busy enough that you stop coming around Apple boards to brag about how you left Apple for something you think is superior. Attention seeking much with those posts

22. aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

Touchscreen on a laptop is not “innovation”. I’d rather have a good laptop than one that tries hard to be different. With that said, I like the Surface line. Still prefer the MacBook Pros, though.

23. PJivan macrumors 6502

PJivan

They failed for a reason not because they are Microsoft.
    I rather have a touch os with a mouse than a non touch with touch screen, non of them are ideal but I rather see ios with mouse implementation than mac os with touch.

24. ericwn macrumors 68000

You are of course correct, and I think the reason here is that MS tends to make bad products, and that much more frequently than other tech companies. What I wanted to express initially though is that just because someone else fails it doesn’t mean that everybody else should stop trying to innovate and improve.

I’m in the same boat as you and would rather have a good touch os with mouse support where it makes sense than the other way around.

25. FrozenDarkness thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't think touch enabled macbook pro would improve my life or be game changing. I do think it'd unify the experience between a macbook and an ipad with keyboard.