Does using up hard drive space on iPhone 5 slow it down?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

I still have yet to transfer everything from my iPhone 4 to my 16GB iPhone 5.

I was thinking if taking up hard drive space slows down iPhone, then instead of transferring apps like Chase Bank I'll just login to their mobile site via safari.

Also, I probably wouldn't transfer any photos because I have 5,000 on ip4.

Thoughts?

2. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Nope.

3. doc shivers macrumors member

sigh, this is computers 101. hard drive space does not = memory.

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

NAND flash read/write access times are the same regardless of how much of the flash storage has data written to it. As others have mentioned, there is no hard drive in any iPhone.

5. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

The more data you put on you iphone5 hard drive, the slower it will spin, therefore slowing down the phone.

6. Brandonsc macrumors member

Yeah. It keeps getting heavier with every picture & song you put on it. That little motor can't spin as fast with all that weight.

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

LMAO:D
    Mine is getting so heavy from all the videos and apps I added its making sounds when the drive spins.

9. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

unless you use all the mem ;)

10. oplix Suspended

oplix

incorrect. I don't feel like writing it myself so I copied a response which is applicable to this question.

Most SSDs will slow down as they fill up. SSDs tend to chose empty blocks to write in, since they can only modify a block by erasing and re-writing the entire block. Once all of these blocks are partially filled, then every write operation will require an erase and rewrite, meaning the SSD has to read the block into cache, modify the cache with the new data, then erase the block and write the cache. This comes out to one read and two programming operations for each block that needs to be modified. Also, though fragmentation has very little effect on SSDs, high fragmentation and the fact that most OSes are ignorant of SSDs can cause the OS to issue more writes than needed. The SSD's blocks are usually larger than the OS's allocation units, so if the SSD is not expecting the extra writes, it could end up repeating the same three-step process multiple times per block, thus slowing down writes even more. Even deleting files does not solve this issue, because the data remains there, and the SSD doesn't know that it is no longer used, and continues rewriting this deleted data.

So in response to the OP question, yes if it is low on space, it will become "slower". "slower" is subjective however and you might not notice any "real world performance" difference.

11. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Yup. There are little creatures spinning the drive inside of the iPhone, so the more videos and pictures you save, the heavier the phone becomes. Oh.. and slower 'cause the creatures get tired..

12. oplix Suspended

oplix

I think the trolling is unnecessary considering it's pretty obvious by context analysis that the OP meant the storage function of the device and NOT the physical hardware.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Considering all the instances of "iMaps," "iTouch" and "lightening port," let us have this one.

As for the OP, the correct term is "storage" instead of hard drive. I think we all know what you mean, but I also think we all hope actual hard drives die out in the next five years. And I mean as a technology, not the literal ones I have holing my backups!

14. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it yes it does slow it down or no it doesn't. Lets keep this simple.