Does using your iPad Charger on your iPhone Hurt

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I would assume no because Apple sells that Dock kit with it, and I notice I get a better charge with the iPad charger, however I am wondering if anyone has run into trouble with it before?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

The connector is universal. Scroll down a bit on this page to see the compatibility.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I've used my roommates on my 4 and neither of us have experienced any pain.

4. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

I used to do it sometimes then I realized the iPhone gets really hot due to the iPad charger pumping higher voltages. So now I just charge my iPad on my iPhone charger instead even though it takes a little bit longer :eek:

As for the dock charger it isn't such a big problem because the dock itself uses power.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

iPad charger output is 5.1Volts, 2.1Amp. iPhone charger output is 5Volt, 1Amp. So the iPad charger is a higher output voltage, but only 2% higher. These are what's written on them, I've not put a meter to them to verify.

Since the voltages are essentially the same, the draw (Amps) would be dependent on the device being charged; I doubt the iPhone would take a damaging current level for charging -- thus it should be perfectly fine unless you're using a thick case that holds in the heat.

With that said, since I tend to charge both devices overnight while I'm asleep, I have both chargers set up at my desk and plug each into its own charger. I've used the ipad charger while travelling with no adverse effects.

6. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Yes I have no symptoms of pain either. But a little Ibuprofen will definitely help if one does.

7. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Good to know, now I wonder if I buy a Chevy Volt if I can charge it with that adapter as well :D

Thanks for the info all

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The iPhone draws power from the charger, the charger does not pump out power. Charging from the iPad charger will not hurt your iPhone.

9. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161