Carrier Does Verizon charge $30 activation fee if u order more phones than your current number of lines?

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I just bought a Samsung note 8 and only financed $11 (in order to take advantage of that phone deal I have to finance for at least one month then I can pay it off). However when I did a test run on Apple Store app to purchase an iPhone 8 using my Verizon phone number, last 4 of my social and Verizon PIN, it shows there will be a one time $30 activation fee for the new phone. I will be using my current number on the iPhone x so I'm not adding an additional line to Verizon. Does Verizon know I purchased another phone using my account even though it' not through them? Will they add this $30 activation fee on my bill? I hope that's just some warning disclaimer on Apple's part to warn people about the activation fee if they actually do add a new line.

Title is kind of misleading, I will be ordering though Apple, not Verizon.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I just called Verizon, they said that $30 activation has to do with the sim card comes with the new iPhone, so the system will charge it no matter what, unless I order the sim free model. Can anyone confirm? For Verizon users on Apple IUP, do u get charge a activation fee every time u upgrade through apple? Cuz the phone u are getting also contain a new Verizon Sim card.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Yep, you can bet Verizon will still charge you that $30 pointless fee.
They have to make their billions somehow;)
Indeed. It's like the $10 monthly "HD technology fee" with Comcast... when did HD come out again?

Still, I try to avoid being taken when possible. I've been with Verizon since my Nokia 5120 in 1998... and haven't paid an upgrade fee in forever.

Most recently after getting my iPad Pro and 8 Plus I called them up and told them I'd appreciate an account credit. The rep thanked me for my loyalty and I had a $60 credit on my bill this month.