Does VZW upgrade you six days before your upgrade date?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vell843, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Vell843 macrumors regular

Vell843

Here is my situation, according to the my verizon, I am upgrade eligible on 10/7/12. However when I go to the websites of bestbuy, Apple, and radio shack, it lets me purchase a new iPhone 5 at the $199.00 (16 GB) discount rate? I was wondering if anyone else that is within a week of there upgrade have seen this?

2. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Generally speaking, you have to call them and they will move it up. Call customer service, but no promises tho

3. Vell843 thread starter macrumors regular

Vell843

I am perfectly fine with waiting until this weekend to upgrade but, I just thought it was weird that on the Apple site it says that I am upgrade eligible now?

4. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Hmm, that's strange to be honest. And not to doubt you, but ur POSITIVE ur upgrade isn't for another 6 days, just to rule out all possibilities?

5. cc1013 macrumors member

I've seen the same issue with all four phones on my Verizon account. The Verizon website still shows that we are not due for upgrades until 10/7, but the Apple website says that we are eligible now. Very strange!

6. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Probably because there is a 3-4 week wait. By the time you'll get charged it'll be november. I would hurry up and get in line.

7. Erock2 macrumors member

They let you upgrade 7 days before the official day.

8. dfinecy macrumors regular

The same is going on with me! I'm eligible on the 7th as well and Apple is letting me get the discount pricing. I'm going to go to the Apple Store tomorrow morning and see if I can snag one a little early :p

9. Vell843 thread starter macrumors regular

Vell843

Hey, post back here and let us know what happens. If we can upgrade a week early, Apple or radioshack, here I come!

10. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

It's my experience that Verizon lets the "premium retailiers" upgrade you 7 days prior. (best buy, radio shack, and apple all likely fall into this category as do the shady ones).

I went to verizon and they would NOT do it. I went to a shady "premium retailer" one and they upgraded me 7 days early -- the day my flip phone died. They ended up giving me a used phone as "brand new in box". When I found out I went back and freaked out on them. They admitted it, I got a full refund and many apologies.

Went directly over to Verizon corporate and when I got my refund, they hadn't set my date back so Verizon's system showed I was eligible. Got two NEW phones from corporate.

It *is* a way to get your upgrade moved up if corporate won't do it... a very PITA way.

11. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

The EXACT same thing happened to me! So, last night I tried to get one via the online reservation and it worked!!! I got the email about 30 minutes ago saying my order is ready for pickup... Hopefully I don't run into any problems when I get there.

12. Vell843 thread starter macrumors regular

Vell843

Sweet!!

13. dfinecy macrumors regular

I checked online that said a radioshack had them, but when I got there, the lady said they were out. So I went to the Apple store and they were out as well. She did tell me they were expecting a shipment later this morning and said to call around noon to check...so in an hour and a half I'm gonna call!

14. brando123b macrumors regular

Same here. Oct 7th on VZW.com and eligible today at Apple. Going to try and reserve one for tomorrow.

15. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I asked my sister who works at a corporate store.
    She said NO early upgrades.

Best Buy and premium dealer down the street from me leaned towards a week but both said depending on inventory as long as it was within the same month.

16. brando123b macrumors regular

So odd. Verizon gives other retailers leeway but not themselves? Strange. I wonder why.

17. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

FYI, Radioshack charges tax based on $699.99, not the MSRP of $649. A few Best Buy stores were doing the same thing.

18. kicko macrumors 65816

I'm in the exact same boat, I have to wait a week but apple site says i can order right now. It is odd.

19. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I guess it applies to AT&T as well. 4 of my lines are eligible for upgrade at the end of this month. I just went to Apple and Best Buy to check the status and I'm eligible to upgrade now. I'm about to upgrade my children to the free iPhone 4.

20. dizmonk macrumors regular

Yea it happened to me also. I called Verizon and they said it Apple who did it but they wouldn't. (Very strange.)

21. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

I got an early upgrade today from the apple store. Verizon said I wasn't eligible for another week though...

22. ace198 macrumors regular

Yeah, my upgrade is October 7th and I could upgrade on Apple.com. Weird that Verizon can't but everyone else can give an upgrade a week prior. I wanted to transfer my upgrade to another line before I upgraded to keep my unlimited data. Now I'm tempted to go reserve one tonight at 10 PM to pickup tomorrow.

23. Geffen macrumors 6502

I just checked my upgrade date on Apple and it says i can upgrade even though the Verizon website still says 10-7-12. If i buy from the Apple store will that screw up my contract with Verizon by upgrading earlier than the date they have?

24. brando123b macrumors regular

If you're having any luck like me, having an upgrade a week earlier means nothing. Absolutely no phones available for pick-up.

Might as well just place your order and wait til early November. :rolleyes:

25. Geffen macrumors 6502

I only have 1 Apple store in my area so i'll have to take my chances. It may be a long line to wait in.