Does your brand new 17" unibody mbp have a flickering screen in lowest brightness?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Mar 16, 2009.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Just curious if it has the same issues as the 15" mbp, when the brightness level is set around 1-3 notches does the backlighting pulsate or flicker a bit?

2. volcom883 macrumors regular

volcom883

could anybody with a new 17" tell me if the land on the map is slighly flickering on this site: www.speedtest.net
    mine does only on this site. tell me its normal

3. jgo78 macrumors 6502

i have a 15 inch unibody and had this problem from day one.

pulsating/flickering on low brightness levels. if you turn up the brightness it un-noticeable

4. marcelg macrumors newbie

Mine is certainly flickering - I noticed this before, but I put it down to the fact that I was tired.

Hmmm - any advice, guys?

5. genmic macrumors regular

Have you contacted apple? Does it just not bother you?

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Thats a problem with the site, not your computer, its made poorly in Flash.

7. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I'm looking at it with my 24" LED ACD and no flickering whatsoever.

8. jgo78 macrumors 6502

i did not contact apple because i didn't want to go through the trouble of trying to get the issue fixed. As it seems pretty minor compared to what others are going through, i didn't bother. I'm hoping for some sort of firmware/software fix. I'd hate to send it to apple and either:

a) have them say they don't see a problem
    b) say they fixed it and it's not
    c) have it come back in worse shape ie)scratches etc.

Other than the above problem my mac has been perfect.

9. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I noticed most of the 15" mbp had the screen flickering issue on lowest brightness and for the past 4 months that its been out there were no firmware issued for that problem.

I wouldnt rely on a firmware update for the 17" mbp either if your having this issue.

I know its minor though because it only flickers on the lowest brightness but I'm hesitating on ordering one just for this issue as my 15" unibody that I sold off a month ago had this issue and drove me crazy.

10. jgo78 macrumors 6502

i know what u mean and i'm not holding my breath for a firmware fix either. I'm just learning to live with it. The weird thing with mine is, if i use the 9400, the flicker goes away after 10 minutes of being cold. If i use the 9600, it's the opposite, it starts off with no flicker but if it gets hot, i get the pulsating , again, at low brightness levels only. Other than that, i love this mbp.

11. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

On my previous 15" unibody (been through about 4 for this issue which all 4 had flickering) that it flickered on 1-3 lowest brightness on both 9400m or the 9600m gt.

The thing is, I have my 24" LED ACD connected to my mac mini (also a 9400m) and the cinema display doesnt flicker on any settings, which leads me to believe its some issue in the mbp itself.

It could be something in the logic board (I know the led screens dont use an inverters anymore) or it could be the screen itself. I wonder if it has something to do with the connection being lose from the screen?

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Not always, no. There is a slight flicker sometimes but it goes away after a minute.

13. silentsage macrumors member

I tried it on my 17" UMBP and there is no flicker at any brightness setting.

14. jgo78 macrumors 6502

try it when the computer is cold, turn it on, go to level 1 brightness and see if it does it then.

15. johndoe588 macrumors regular

No flickering here on either graphics options on a 9c98 screen.

John B.

16. johndoe588 macrumors regular

Well that didn't last long! Went back to the 9400 and now there is noticeable flickering on the three lowest settings. Seems to be intermittent. We'll see what happens.

John B.

17. olly-h macrumors newbie

I've got a 15" MBP Uni (refurb). Got the flickering problem with the lower brightness settings.

Was told this morning that Apple are 'aware of the issue' and that there is an update (he said firmware, but then went on to say 10.5.7, so I don't know) coming this week or next that may solve it (but they don't know because they don't have the release notes yet.)

EDIT:

The flickering itself goes away after it's 'warmed up a bit' (it seems to be an intermittent issue to me), sometimes it's fine, sometimes flickers slightly but it always goes away after a little while (around 5-15 mins after switch on.) I don't see it (or haven't noticed it) at all when it's on 6+ notches.

18. iaymnu macrumors 6502

After 2 17mbps i thought the problem was gone. But I get the flickering when using 9400 on lowest setting. It seems to come when I hear the HD working. I would click a link on macrumors -> HD access = flicker.

19. genmic macrumors regular

I wonder what percentage of MBP owners actually do have this issue, but like johndoe588, just didn't realize it at first. I've resigned just to live with it and hope for a firmware update.

20. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I think its just due to minor issues on the Nvidia gpus for this generation.

21. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

My 17" unibody isn't flickering on the lowest setting. I thought I noticed some flickering one day when I was using the 9600M but I haven't used it since. I'm always on the 9600M GT.

22. jgo78 macrumors 6502

try this test using 9600gt:

1) put on lowest visible brightness setting
    2) put a load on your cpu/video card, run several graphic intensive programs to heat up your cpu/gpu

You should see a mild pulsating/flickering of your display most noticeable on a solid white/grey background, if you don't notice it, then you are ok.

23. philips macrumors regular

philips

Yep. Mine UMBP17 does the same. With the auto-brightness adjustment it goes quite often into 1-3 notches and screen becomes quite unusable. That's why I have disabled said auto adjustment.

On UMBP17 to me lowest usable brightness is 4 bars. And even at 4 the pulsations are visible time after time.

If I would have a chance I would go to Apple Store. At the moment I do not have time for that. The issue needs to be addressed, because lower levels of brightness are useless on my UMBP17. This is quite serious issue for a notebook.

P.S. I'll try to test when my MBP17 is cold too.