Does your business make you pay for your own daily work related expenses?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maestro55, Dec 2, 2008.

1. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

So I just started a new job in late August doing IT work. I love the work I am just frustrated that I am expected to pay for everyday expenses. I am not talking about travel expenses (which are of course reimbursed with per-Diem). I am talking about the fact that they expect me (the IT guy) to use my personal card to order parts and software and be reimbursed at the end of the month. This isn't a problem for small things, but certainly gets annoying. It can add up and end up putting a crunch on my finances and something doesn't seem right about that. The company needs to have a better way to deal with purchases, not expect people to use their personal money for business expenses. Or am I off base to think this?

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Yeah, that's BS. I've never been expected to do something like that.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so they expect you to buy upgrades and the like? wow

seriously just tell them they shouldnt expect you to put that on your credit cards or whatnot and if they want you to purchase those items, then give you a company credit card

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I'm hoping that the business is a very small business, maybe around 10-20 employees. If it's a bigger business or has multiple locations, that doesn't seem right.

We buy all our IT parts and software with the business credit card. Our business also has has accounts set up with the major retailers we use on a weekly basis so we don't have to carry the card around.

6. shecky Guest

shecky

exactly what it sounds like to me too.

7. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The problem I see is that they reimburse him at the end of the month. What they're doing it getting a no interest loan from maestro55. That's just wrong, man. That's just wrong. My boss pretty much asks the same of me, BUT I get reimbursed right away.
    As for the tax dodging slant, they'd be stupid to have an employee purchase equipment for the business on his personal card. It'd be a pain in the butt trying to convince the IRS it's a business expense. They'll look at the receipt and say, "WTF, the company name isn't maestr055."

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As an interim solution, call your bank and ask for the billing close date to be changed to one that will allow you to get reimbursed before the bill is due.

9. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Use it to your advantage. Get a good credit card with good points, then go on a nice vacation(s) on your company.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I used to use a personal credit card to pay for Google keywords at my last company. We spent $35K a month. I got an Amazon Visa card and earned a $25 Amazon gift certificate for every $2,500 spent on the card. I got a lot of toys out of that deal. I rued the day they told me I would have to get a company credit card and use that.

11. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

That doesn't seem right. That is why there are business credit cards.

But yeah, as mentioned, you COULD use it to your advantage if you buy enough work-related stuff.

To answer your question, NO...my company has given me a company credit card and all expenses that I incur are reimbursed.

12. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Unfortunately, it's not all that uncommon, and as far as I know, completely legal within reasonable limits. Ideally, they should reimburse within about a week of submitting expenses, and in my mind no later than the end of the pay cycle. Beyond that I'll tell them to pack sand. I've turned down a number of offers that had exactly the same requirements for that reason. Now, it's ALL on the Corporate AMEX, or it doesn't happen.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nope. If I was in such a position where I'd be buying stuff, I would have a company credit card.

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Be careful. If the company goes bust and doesn't reimburse you, you're still expected to pay the credit card bill.

It's a bit of a red flag overall. Why can't the company get credit? Is it on the edge?

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

And some of the central credit and purchasing can get a company breaks on prices also, having the employees buy from a multitude of sources makes it hard for the company to qualify for local discounts.

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

my company expects us to do that. Mind you it is for little things like gas cost for personal vechicals if we use them, Not all of us have company cars yet.

Or when we take a client or some one in the office out to lunch we charge it to our personal card then get refund shortly afterward. I have not had to do it yet but my understanding is they just put it in with our pay check so it normally takes maybe 1-2 weeks.

Mind you for most things we either use a corporate account number and they bill that like when I did a 500 fedex shipment. Or just request a check to be made out to where ever we need the money to go.

17. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Hmm. I expect our staff to meet small expenses that are then credited back to them with their pay. Nothing over a few pounds, though, and certainly nothing that can be paid for directly by the business on a business credit card.

I don't really understand why they're doing what they're doing. If I was you, and I was comfortable that the company would always cover the costs, I'd definitely go down the reward points or cash-back avenue and make it worth my while. Otherwise I'd profusely apologise and say I'm finding it hard to budget for the extra expenses on my credit cards and please could I have a company card to make the purchases.

18. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

This is normal in the trucking industry. A driver better not lose a receipt or he/she just paid for a lumper! (Lumpers are a scam)

Pretty much if it isn't available at a company store or the company you are buying from doesn't have an account the driver pays for it first then gets reimbursed. At my company you need a PO number to buy anything over $35 to get reimbursed.

I'm glad I'm not a "company" driver anymore.

19. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

I travel frequently with my work and often have to put significant sums of money on my personal credit card. Quite often the amounts sum 5 or even 6 thousand dollars.

I've used it to my advantage though. I will make sure as much of the trip's cost goes on my card as possible.

Why?

Because I have a cash-back credit card of course.

Just make sure you get your expense cheque before your balance is due.

It's not s bad of a deal if you do it smart

Cheers

20. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

As a business owner, an advantage to that scenario is hoping you lose receipts and you carry the interest if there is some.
    We've had corp. AMEX since day one - and I get the points so who's complaining? Got a nice 7 day cruise for 4 out of it and ready for another. Employees are happy and so am I since there's built in expense tracking and the money's not out of their pocket.

21. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I'm sorry, but the points aren't worth being on the hook for sums of money that aren't my problem. That's bush league crap on the part of your company.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I agree. In some cases, it's OK. Like if I had to make a small purchase, say under $100, and that was a once in a blue moon occasion, and I don't regularly make purchases, I'd rather just pay it and get reimbursed than do all of the paperwork and go through the hassle of getting a corporate credit card. But if I was frequently making large purchases, no way in hell would I use my personal credit card.

23. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I work for a *large* public institution and I have to do this too. Pisses me off except that I get 1% cashback. I probably put ~$10-20k/year on my own card. I also have a personal card that I use for business to keep the accounting simple.

24. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

My company does this, but I write software so my expenses have maybe been $200 in the past eight months total. Can't really ask the accountant to go out and buy me a copy of leopard, bigger stuff they handle themselves.

25. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

Yes. They make me pay for coming to and from work (1 hour each way)... it's horrible..... ;)