Does your iPhone 5/5s lay completely flat?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajm222, Sep 23, 2013.

1. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

Just got a replacement and I noticed that when I lay it flat on a table i can press the upper left corner and the phone will rock ever so slightly. Very very slight, but it's obviously not perfectly flat. The interesting thing is that my old iPhone 5 did this as well. Got worse after I dropped it but it always seemed to be like that. I also put both phones in an Otterbox Defender. Just trying to determine if it's slightly bent or if this amount of variation is normal. And wondering whether it's possible putting it in a slightly bent and very snug Otterbox could have ever so slightly deformed it.

Thanks

2. heyitsfez macrumors member

Do you a have a 5 or 5S? I have an unlocked 5 and it does what you describe, you can slightly tilt it a little bit on the upper left corner, not so much that it's noticeable when looking at the phone by its side, but still upsetting to some OCD people. I don't really have a problem with it since I may be upgrading to a 5S but I can definitely see it as an issue for someone who plans on keeping the phone for a long time. I would say if it doesn't bother you and if it doesn't interfere with how the phone performs I wouldn' worry too much. But if it does a trip to the Apple Store would be good to see what they tell you and if you may need a replacement.

3. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a 5. As I mentioned, both my previous 5 and this new replacement did the same thing. I'm wondering if it's normal for the 5 since you noticed the same. If so, I can live with it. I can probably live with it anyway as it doesn't impact performance and the phone doesn't appear to be terribly bent or anything. But as you said, still a little annoying as you would think it should lay perfectly flat. Just trying to determine if this is a very slight defect or normal for the 5 as I just got it. I didn't really worry about it too much with my last 5. Thanks for your response.

4. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

5. heyitsfez macrumors member

Sure! But yeah, I've been reports of people online bending their 5's like crazy! But if there's an Apple Store close to your location, I would try and see if the display models do the same thing, and then maybe get a Genius' attention just to be sure :).

6. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's not a bad idea. I'm very close to one and need to visit soon anyway to see about getting my charger replaced as the cable is exposed and it's bunching up. Couldn't hurt just to show them and get their opinion. I imagine they'd just say it's not too bad so just deal with it, but you never know.

----------

thanks

7. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

yea you could get a cool person a they may just swap it no problem even if it's out of warranty by a few days/weeks.

8. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

OR they could laugh!:p

9. APhillyApple macrumors regular

10. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

this is probably more likely. i'll mention it anyway :)

11. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

that too, I guess it depends on how much it really is bent. is it an OCD type of bent or is it really BENT? my OCD might turn on and ask them to replace it. :D

12. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

13. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i've tried it on a couple of different tables, and in different spots because that thought crossed my mind. definitely not the table. it's doing it consistently wherever i put it.

----------

ok so this is strange. i decided to apply a very slight amount of pressure in the opposite direction of the perceived bend. now it lays flat. is it possible these phones are really that pliable?

14. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

If it is REALLY bent, then it is the fault of the user.

15. ajm222 thread starter macrumors 6502a

definitely not really bent. very slight. and as i mentioned above i put some slight pressure on it in the opposite direction and it's laying flatter now. perhaps there is a certain very small amount of give that's normal based on the way it's put together. who knows. ignoring it for now. still wondering if maybe the otterbox polycarb shell could have put enough pressure on it to slightly mess with it. took it off for now and hoping the spigen tough armor i bought shows up in the next day or two.

someone should get brave for my benefit and apply some pressure on their phone in one direction and see if it sits slightly less flat :)