Does your iPhone rear glass get scratched (already)??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iSayuSay, Dec 9, 2011.

1. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Okay .. so I have my 4S with me for around 10 days (Came from iPod Touch 4G before, so for me it was a HUGE leap & easy decision, no dilemma about iPhone 4 and all)

I really want to go naked all around, I'm quite careful with my devices although not OCD enough. But I always put it alone on my pocket. Never been mixed with coins/keys or anything abrasive.

I saw my iPod Touch 4G's screen hasn't shown any single scratches for 1 full year of possessions. So I think I won't worry much about front face.

How about rear glass plate? Does it get scratched easily?
    How about yours. Using soft case, otter box or even going naked, does it get scratched easily or fast? If so, for how long have you tinkering with it since you realize it has scratches?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have ghost armor in my iPhone and I also use a case, for this very reason. I'd rather not get it scratched up.

3. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Yes, the back glass on the iPhone scratches much more easily than the front. It's almost impossible to not get scratches on it without using a screen protector on the back.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Bought a White iPhone 4 back in June and periodically go naked from time to time as I love the look and feel of just the iPhone. Any other time I would have it in a black bumper. No other case needed. At least that's that I thought.

Much to my displeasure and not entirely sure of when or where it happened, I have a small blemish on my back plate that sits right over the silver Apple logo. Mildly annoying but otherwise no big deal but I'm also kind of upset at myself for not being more careful.

5. climber20 macrumors member

I did the same with my iPhone 4, and over time the back glass collected quite a bit of small scratches. Front glass still pristine without a single defect.

Eventually, I got an Agent18 case for my iPhone 4 and now iPhone 4S for the sole purpose of protecting my camera lens from getting scratched. I really don't care about scratches on the phone as long as functionality is not affected, but I use the camera quite a bit and didn't want to risk getting hazy photos.

6. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

You can pretty easily replace the back panel, but I recommend that you do put something on the back.

Don't trash that iPod touch either! :D

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I plan on doing a back plate replacement with an OEM part and then getting a back plate protector or a different case like an Element vapor pro case or a Graft Leverage case that won't increase the form factor all that much but still have the option to install a back plate protector.

8. iSayuSay thread starter macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Damn .. I'd love the look of naked iPhone (as most of you do :) ) .. But yeah, I expect rear glass to be weaker than the front. Looking from iPod Touch screen toughness I wouldn't worry about front face.

What's the best cover for that rear plate? I found invisible shield peeling off and getting brittle overtime, so ...

Does rear sticker or skin more durable?

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Zagg has a pretty decent back protector as does Ghost Armor.

10. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I had my phone in an otterbox defender for 2 days before my rear protector arrived and it got a couple of tiny things on it... IN A CASE for 2 DAYS!!

So yes, it scratches easily lol

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I've rocked all my iPhones naked, the 4 (my second) since Nov '10. I have 2 or 3 light scratches on the back, 1 slightly noticeable, pretty much the same on the front though the longest on the front is about half the length or less of the shortest on the back.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Define "easily". It can get scratched. If you're worried about scratches then take precautionary measures and realize that even they are not a guarantee (including the ever-popular suggestion of "being careful with your device").

Whether or not you can "easily" scratch depends on a number of variables. Under the right conditions it doesn't take much to scratch. That said, under different conditions it's entirely possible to avoid scratches. It's really impossible to provide hard rules on something like this. You need to figure out which precautionary measures you're willing to take to avoid scratches and not everyone agrees on what they're willing to do.

Best is always subjective. Read the countless screen protector threads and see what sounds good to you. I always recommend SGP and Power Support if you prefer the look and feel of bare glass.

Read the post from the OP right before yours. Invisible Shield is a Zagg product.

13. Gavernty macrumors 6502

one thing I learned with the Iphone 4 is the back scratches very easily... and they are noticeable. The front scratches as well but you can only notice them if you angle it right under direct light. The back you can see from every angle, which is why I always get some kind of skin to cover the back right out of the box.

14. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I used a back skin on my iPhone 4 for a few months, then naked for the last ~6 months or so. No scratches. My wife has it now, she uses a case.

My 4S has been naked for the ~3 weeks I've had it, no visible scratches front or back.

15. iSayuSay thread starter macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Well .. "easily" as in it can get scratched although you always carry it in a separated pocket, not with other metal/sharp/abrasive things.

And also easily as in I only put and lift it on regular wooden table and few weeks later scratches just appear on rear plate.