does your spouse like a big gun in the bedroom?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by shecky, Oct 18, 2007.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

2. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Hey..you never know :p

That's actually pretty ridiculous :D

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Husband: Hey, honey. Can you turn off the TV?
    Wife: I can't find the remote. Have you seen it?
    Husband: I think I see it on the dresser. Nevermind, I'll just use the back-up *ker-blam*
    :D

Lethal

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

lol

a huge rifle like that would be useless in the house.

you'd be better off with a handgun

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

True, although I've always said that if someone is stupid enough to break into my house in the middle of the night that's THEIR problem.......

Looks more like a shotgun, though, doesn't it?

6. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

For some reason, that just made me crack up. When one double-barrelled shotgun just aint enough. His and hers. Or his and his, if there's an argument over who is the man of the house :p

7. Queso macrumors G4

Reminds me of when I lived in South Africa. They display all these adverts for personal security devices in the banks to entertain the queues :)

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You'd be better off w/a smaller shotgun. The wide pattern and low chance of over penetration makes shotguns very good choices for home defense.

Lethal

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

11. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

When I first read the thread title, I thought "big gun" was a metaphor for something else; but never-mind. :D

12. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

None. ;) Never had to use it that way--I just have it for target shooting. I do think it'd be better in a home defense role than a shotgun.

13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

You know, I've been meaning to post about this but hadn't gotten around to it. We saw a commercial for this while we were on vacation last week, and at first, we thought it was a commercial parody, like something off of SNL. Really bizarre.

14. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

The great benefit of a pump shotgun is the non-lethal aspect. If you hear an intruder in the home you simply have to pump the shell into the chamber within earshot of the intruder. That one sound will send most burglars running.

15. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

That's true, but I bet the sound of the slide closing on the Ruger would be similarly effective. And if not, I like the idea of having 10 rounds without having to load another!

What really cracks me up is how few times having a firearm--any firearm--for home defense is needed or useful. I own two firearms--the Ruger .22 and an Anschutz match rifle, both for target shooting, which I enjoy as a hobby. In the event of a break-in, I can see the Ruger being very useful, but if there's only one burglar, I wouldn't need it unless the burglar was armed (which is very rare).

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

From the time I got out of the Army in 1958 on through today, I've not needed any self-defense weapon.

Nothing ever happens when I'm home.

Between 1966 and 1972, my wife had four occasions to potentially need deadly force in self defense. One of the events was an intruder in the home. (It happened to be a rather naive guy who'd returned my race car trailer and just had to tell somebody he'd done so and walked in. My wife, one hand holding her bath towel around her, used the other hand to hold her Ruger Blackhawk. End of "visit", after she'd "read from the scriptures".)

The trouble with my opening sentence, above, is that it only takes once. Let's say my wife was four times fortunate...

'Rat

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Wouldn't a locked door have been much more effective in that situation...?

18. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

So out of the four times your wife almost needed to use deadly force, the best illustrative anecdote is a guy returning your trailer? Was one of the other times a suspicious man deliver 'mail' in your 'letterbox' ;)?

And what Iscariot said :).

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I'm glad my wife was the only person, ever, who forgot to lock a door.

Okay, more stories: I got a call at work from the BossLady, saying a drunk FBI man was at our house and had threatened to shoot her. He was at the time outside in his truck; she was in the house. Rural location. I told her to call the sheriff; I called the FBI before heading home. I set a new speed record for the nine miles (Where's a traffic cop when you need a cop?), turned in my driveway and then across the yard to the front door.

So I have some guy in a pickup in the driveway, and my wife lying across the bed with the 12-gauge, watching the guy through the window. He'd apparently passed out. She explains he'd told her he'd retired from the FBI, was looking for an ex-girlfriend but Austin had grown so much he'd gotten lost. When she refused his offer of a drink of whiskey he'd said, "If you don't take a drink, I'll shoot you and shoot your dog." Big mistake, threatening her dog.

Omitting how we set up a chase, the guy came to and left. The cops caught up with him in town, and he came out of the pickup with, "You can't arrest me; I'm in the FBI." Instant arrest. .22 rifle in the truck. Turns out he was a nutzoid alky, on leave from the State Home For The Bewildered.

Never any FBI contact with us; no sheriff's office contact.

Another time I called home from a business trip. All had been well but for a prowler who apparently knew us and knew I was gone. He had scratched on the window screen and whispered to be let in. I asked if she'd called the cops. "Well, when I cocked the hammer, he ran." It seems that, "Click, click, click, click," has a magic all its own. (Early Rugers sounded just like a Colt SAA.)

That was my first wife.

My present wife's ex-husband was a stalker. He was still a problem when I showed up on the scene some six years later.

I guess it's okay to be snotty and sneering toward those who perceive the need to be capable of their own self-defense. But that ignores what the courts have said about who's responsible. It is a mindset of, "I've never had a car wreck, so I don't need insurance."

'Rat

20. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Snotty and sneering? You didn't give us an anecdote where serious harm was avoided because of a firearm, you gave us a story of how your wife pulled a gun on a guy who — admittedly foolishly — was just trying to be nice and return something he borrowed. A situation that could have been avoided if your wife had locked the door while taking a shower.

Do you ever forget to put on your safety belt? Do you ever forget not to get behind the wheel of a car when you've had a few? Do you ever forget to look both ways before you cross the street?

But, since we're sharing anecdotes as if they are evidence, I've got a story for you. I usually refrain from anecdotes or revealing too much about my life outside of the infotubes, but here goes.

I had an uncle once. Nice man, worked hard on the farm when he was young. Earned himself enough to buy a little place — not much, but it was good enough for him — and then he just kind of disappeared. Kept to himself mostly, no real interest in family or friends. What really got him was magic hour, you know, right when the sun first rises, the sparkle of the sun across the water's edge and the way it makes your fishing line shine like gossamer silk.

Now, this uncle was more than a bit of a recluse. But he wasn't a stupid man or a drunken hillbilly, far as I can tell, he just liked a modest life. He would come in to a nearby farm once every two weeks, help this couple who was getting on in years take care of the chickens and cows. They'd always send him home with fresh milk and a dozen eggs, he'd thank them kindly and be on his way. Like everybody out in the bay area, he had a couple hunting weapons and a shotgun, but as far as I've been told, he kept them locked up safe, and always kept the key with him. My family may be a bunch of gun nuts, but I've never seen a weapon that wasn't properly locked up tight and secured.

So one day after helping out at a farm down the road, he came home to find someone had smashed the door in. Seems that someone — or those someones as he soon discovered — had wanted the keys to his truck, which, like the keys to the gun cabinet, he had on him when he walked on down to the neighbour's. Now near as we can tell, he had just figured someone had broken in to steal some farm equipment, so while he probably proceeded with caution, I don't think he expected to find them still in his place, waitin' for him.

Seems they had smashed the liquor cabinet and helped themselves. And then they found the big ol' locked cabinet. Maybe they were hoping to find some money or something, but instead they found a loaded shotgun.

Like I said, I used to have an uncle. That old couple came around one day to bring him some eggs, and they found his half-burned, half-buried corpse in the fire pit out back. Seems he was shot in the back of the head, executioner style, with his own shotgun.

Now you're probably not feeling like being "snotty" or "sneering", but that's probably because I told you the story about my murdered uncle, and not the one about my other uncle who got so drunk he passed out while opening the door to his trailer, had the door shut on his head (and thus forgot to lock it), and woke up with his T.V. missing and his pants pulled down around his ankles by a crook with a sense of humor. But I'm still making the same point, and that is that a gun is the only safety device I can think of that can just easily get you or someone else killed as it can be a useful device to protect yourself, or scare the daylights out of a borrower. That, and anecdotal evidence isn't valid because when can all share sob stories about the dangers of this or virtues of that.

Oh, one more thing. Lock your door or you might find yourself caught with your pants down.

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Iscariot, there have been cases of rape in just such a circumstance as my first anecdote. In and around good old Austin, Texas. We'd had a similar event not many months before, near the university. Her handgun enabled her control of the situation. Put it this way: She was more secure with it than without it, as was demonstrated at that time and place.

Sure, tragic cases like that of your uncle have happened. It's hard enough to lose someone to normal old age; much rougher when it's from gratuitous violence.

And I have no doubt there will be further such tragedies. That does not change the situation for any given homeowner or other individual as to the potential need for the capability for self defense. Since both state and federal courts have ruled that the police do not have responsibility for the safety and security of any one individual, who's left?

'Rat

22. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Isn't it ironic that those who decry the "police state" are the very ones who want an armed cop at the door within seconds?

23. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

That's not ironic, it's a sweeping generalization.

24. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

"Many are buying one for each side of the bed" :)

I love that infomercial everyone's buying 8 of it so you should too.
    I've got nothing against people owning guns if they want to. You can argue for it and against all you want but you'll never deny that there are mean/hateful people in the world that will kill you with or without a gun. It's like that one bumper sticker "Guns don't kill people, I do".
    I think if you're going to own one, you need to take safety classes and be smart about storage (gun in one place, bullets/shells in another for example).

This being said I grew up in a house without guns, have never owned a gun and probably never will.

BTW, I thought this was going to be for some peni5 enhancement drug or something.:confused:

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Personally I think it's ironic that those who have a gun by the bed to scare off murderers/rapists are more likely to be blown away with it by a member of their own family in a domestic (or themselves).