Doesn't matter RE IPhone 5/new connector, old peripherals safe, mag-docks for all!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spodwyer, Aug 14, 2012.

1. spodwyer macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm Sean, after some feedback RE my company's new product.

Don't worry about the iPhone 5's new connector, all your old peripherals are safe and mag-docks are available for all -

It is a two part adapter wherein one part goes in the plug in the bottom of your phone (in production will only stick out to match the cases offset but in prototype about 3mm) and the other part clips into your dock - as a result your phone, whatever it is, not matter how many pins or what type of connector, is mag-dockable - similar to Apple's Mag Safe connector however the MAGdapter is compatible with all phones, enables peripheral (E.g. speaker dock) cross compatibility in most cases but most importantly literally allows you to just drop your phone into its dock (no more worrying about finicky dock connectors) and just pull it out an ANY angle.

I have a patent pending and am in process of developing the MAGdapter and am looking for feedback before I launch it on www.kickstarter.com.

If you're interested please read the attached PDF.

Attached Files:

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I can't really tell much from the PDF but it is more difficult then it seems you need to worry about the voltage and whether the connectors are compatible with each other. Also I am sure Apple would release an adapter with the iPhone 5, should they change their connecter.

Good idea though, you just need to build on it.

Also I highly doubt you will be able to fit all the neccesary components into something the size you show in your mockup.

3. spodwyer, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

spodwyer thread starter macrumors newbie

macingman - Sean here - couldn't figure out how to reply without quote but anyways.

I very much know how difficult it is - I have built a working prototype - that's why the first picture on the PDF says 'video to follow' - looking at it, it's in the smallest font imaginable so I'll have to fix that ;) but yeah I've gone through 3 PCB revisions, 8 hardware revisions and that's just in prototype. Funnily enough it wasn't the electrical bit that was difficult, as you say, 'it's hard to fit all the necessary components into something that size' and YES, I can say without a doubt, especially at prototype it most definitely was ;). That said I now have a fully functional prototype sitting on my desk.... Basically at the moment I'm trying to quickly move from the gumby 3D printed prototype to a proper spun/milled hardware prototype before I release the video coz 3D printed parts just DO NOT LOOK COOL ;)... I'm sure Apple will release an adapter as you say however I guess the problem this aims to solve is that it's hard enough to dock/undock an iPhone (or any other smartphone) quickly let alone while looking at it side on - say from your bed to your bedside table or something but particularly if Apple release an adapter. Imagine how gumby, finicky and connector dangerous it will be having to dock your phone onto a dock connector with an adapter sitting on top of that.... Essentially I'm trying to turn docking your phone from a look closely and match up the connectors thing, to a just throw it in, and pull it out, without thinking and most importantly without worrying about breaking anything. I'll post the video as soon as I can - if I cant get the spun/milled version done in the next couple of days I'll just post the 3D printed version fully functional video.. Thanks for your comments macingman.

4. ddvmor macrumors newbie

Nice idea as long as the price point is right, and I suspect it would have to be almost disposably low to be successful (and patented or not, if it's a good idea, cheap chinese knock-offs will appear almost immediately!).

I'd like to see some much clearer pictures of the phone part of the adapter plugged into the phone.

Some questions (and bear in mind that some of this is just me playing devil's advocate!):

Will there be white versions of both parts? Will they be sold separately or as a set? I have a black phone but a white bedside dock.

I carry a charging cable around in my rucksack - will there be an accessory for the end of a USB cable rather than an actual dock? (Presumably it would need a slightly stronger magnet?) I don't really want to have to take the adaptor off my phone in order to charge it on the go.

What about my ipad? I don't want to need separate cables/docks for my devices.

The picture makes it look like it covers the iphone speakers. Is that the case? if so, it could be a big problem. I think I see a hole where the (alleged) headphone socket goes on the new iphone 5 images.

I think that's all. I like the idea and will be keeping an eye out for the kickstarter! Good luck! :)

(edit: Blimey - 3 posts since I started typing this. I'm so slow!)

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I think adapters will work fine except in certain situations. I have a car GPS holder for my iPhone. It has some flexibility on size -- my case causes no trouble -- but obviously any adapter will have to be at least as tall as the old connector plug. I don't have the money to get a new iPhone anyway, but other people with holders like this will need a new one.

Don't get me wrong: I'm all for making a smaller connector considering the current one is 12 years old. The iPad has shown that more juice will be needed through the dock connector. The size of the old one also makes shrinking the size of the iPhone tough.

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

No problem, when I made my first comment I didn't fully understand what the pitch was. Now I do, it's actually a pretty awesome idea, I know I would be interested in buying one should they become availible. Also, I suggest you invest in a graphic designer to create a nicer looking PDF, it's not that bad, but a professional can make it look very appealing. Graphic designers can be easily found on gumtree/craigslist and don't cost that much considering. I'm recently had some work done by a graphic designer and for $500 I had a professional quality book which impressed potential investors greatly.

BTW by posting here you've blown any chance of getting it patented, so technically someone could steal your idea.

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I don't follow? At the very least it helps him to establish timeline if his patent is ever questioned...

8. spodwyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Mate, completely agree with your comments RE the PDF, was just in a rush to get something out there - as to the patent - I lodged it some time ago (have been a serial inventor/entrepreneur for some time now) and checked with my patent attorney several times to ensure I could publish...

I have decided I just don't have time to wait until I get a proper spun/milled prototype made up coz I want to launch the kickstarter project ASAP - I will be posting the Alpha prototype vid in the next 5 mins (or as soon as I can) - you will have to be a little understanding - I was soldering surface mount components with a pin spacing of .25mm with a 1mm tip soldering iron (almost drove myself insane but anyway ;) - also, in this video neither the mechanical 'keying' (I.e. the bits you can see to the left and right of the pins on the dock adapter) should come all the way around the front so that the pins line up with the tabs mechanically. Also, the magnets are not in this video so you don't see it 'snap' into possy - when I cut the mechanical keying part away the magnets came with it. Anyways, here it is... The Alpha prototype of the MAGdapter - please all, understand that at this stage it is just that - an ALPHA prototype....

9. spodwyer thread starter macrumors newbie

MAGdapter ALPHA prototype vid

Am seriously running out of time and just had to get something out there. Please all, be a little understanding, this is just what is says is is, an APLHA protoype!! I had to cut away the mechanical 'keying' section from the dock adapter and unfortunately the magnets came with it. I have had it working with all this in place before, its just I don't really want to release that vid coz I was wearing my PJ's at 4AM in the morning after a long night and the video just doesn't cut it.... at all ;)

Anyways, here it is...

OK, the vi is 96.2 MB, this isn't going to work, wil post on YouTube and post a link to it here

10. spodwyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Link to vid on YouTube

http://youtu.be/OsH2x-hUahE

At the moment it says "This is taking longer than expected and your video is queued. I'm sure it won't be long though.

Holding on to my butt....

11. coops108 macrumors newbie

coops108

When are you launching on kickstarter?

----------

Just tried the vid on YouTube and it worked perfectly fine!
    Ps from the 1 word that was said in the vid 'magdapter', are u Aussie? Lol

12. coops108 macrumors newbie

coops108

Soz that was a random question lol. Even tho it was one quick word I thought I picked up on an Aussie accent. If u are then, even more excited for magdapter! We may have sucked at the Olympic but we certainly can create some cracking ideas!

13. spodwyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Oi Oi Oi

14. batting1000 macrumors 604

15. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

16. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

If you talk about an invention publicly before applying for a patent you can't patent it. But the OP has already applied so its fine.

17. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

A novel idea, and I hope you get your funding from Kickstarter!
    However, I have a couple of questions:
    How would it work with a case? It seems that if you use a case, this wont fit on it.
    And the second point, doesn't this make it less compatible than it already was, since you have a magnetic connection at the end which can dock with anything else?

Seems a neat idea, may need fine tuning though!

18. spodwyer, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

19. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

This is my same concern. I've been through enough phones and enough docking devices to know that if there's a case, you're screwed. Some solutions extend the connector itself significantly but usually the shape of the dockable area gets in the way. I would hope this provides a solution but, from first view, it appears that the adapter would be encumbered by any case I have.

20. spodwyer, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012