Doesn't remove the limitations of the watch, in that it's dependent on the smartphone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Zellio, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

This is nothing more then a me 2 gesture from Apple. Beyond a new control mechanism, this brings nothing to the table. This is the Rokr E1, or an iPad with osx and a pen and no multitouch.

The main issue with smartphones is that after the honeymoon period a lot of people sell them. Why? Because they figure out that in order to do a lot of things you need to take out the superior smartphone! And if you are using a superior smartphone, with games, bigger screen, music, etc, why use a smart watch?

The one thing would be for exercise (Since if you are running it's not a good idea to have lots of things in your pocket), but then you can easily buy a nano and a wrist/arm or watch attachment for it!

This should go the way of the Rokr E1 until Apple figures out a way to make the smartphone it's own unique item... Assuming they can actually come up with new ideas now.

2. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

How many times are you going to use the Rokr comment?

3. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

4. Kiju macrumors member

I think this is one of the more valid arguments about the watch.

Personally, I carry my phone everywhere, even when I run, so it's not much of an issue. However, I also think that the benefit of not needing to carry a phone around is immense, and we'll probably see a detachment from that dependency in a generation or two. If apple wants to keep up with the market, it's definitely something they need to be thinking about.