Doing math on Verizon Share Everything

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swingerofbirch, Sep 13, 2012.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I was thinking of getting an iPhone but am likely not going to given the monthly cost increase.

I just spent an hour of my life figuring it all out, and it's hard to come away seeing how it's worth the cost. I was wondering if you guys can see if I am missing something.

In short, I realized that getting an iPhone with 1 GB of data to share amongst my family would add $40 to our bill and make my sister lose her unlimited data.

Right now we have three basic phones and my sister has an iPhone with unlimited data. We share 1400 minutes and pay $10 a month for my sister to have unlimited messaging. This comes out to $150 a month (I think—I don't pay the bill but I was looking around the My Verizon site, and that looked like it was it).

If I were to get an iPhone, it seems like we would have to switch to Share Everything, which is $30 per basic phone and $40 per smartphone: so $140 a month. Then you have to pick a data plan. I looked back at our last 5 bills and saw the most data my sister ever used was .69 GB (and as low as .25 GB). 1 GB would possibly work for us. So, if we got 1 GB to share that would be another $50 a month, coming to a total of $190 a month.

That's how I came up with the number that it would cost an extra $40 a month for me to get an iPhone, my sister to lose unlimited data, and for our family to share 1 GB of data.

Seems like a bad deal. In the past I think it was such that I could have added an iPhone and for $30 a month paid for my own data plan, which at one point was unlimited and maybe was then paired down to 2 GB, but I can't even find that as an option now.

An extra $40 over 2 years would come out to an extra $960. And given that we would share 1 GB and my sister has used up to .69 GB, I would be left with a smattering of data. I thought when I heard about these new plans coming out they said they were supposed to benefit people who use less data. It doesn't seem like it would benefit anyone!

Am I crazy or is this lunacy? I'm thinking I'll stick with my iPod touch and basic phone combo.

2. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Verizon isn't forcing people into share everything, yet.

If you have three dumb phones each at $10/month, 1 smart phone at $30/month (plus unlimited texting at $10/month) your access fees are...

$30 + $30 + $10 = $70 (right?)
    Plus the plan of course..

So if you want to upgrade one dumb phone to the new iPhone, you can get data for just your line, 2GB for $30
    So makes an increase of $30 for your line, assuming you dont want texting.

3. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    You're absolutely right. I didn't see that option at first but do now. Thank you!