DOJ set to block AT&T/Time Warner merger because of CNN

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Nov 9, 2017.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Shades of Trump here, and will put him in the hot seat yet again as he's letting his thirst for revenge and beating down any detractors get the best of him.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...doj-set-to-block-at-t-takeover-of-time-warner

ATT to Trump: We'll see you in court.

BL.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

4. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

CNN

5. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I’ll wait for bradl’s reply since you don’t seem to know.

6. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

7. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

FTFA; in fact, the vey first sentence of TFA, which rather shows that you didn't read it at all:

Very simple right there. Either sell off CNN, or we block the merger. They are claiming antitrust, but there is nothing there that flies in the face of antitrust; case in point, the NBC/Comcast merger that went through, setting precedence for this.

BL.

8. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Why do they want them to sell it off? That’s what you’re not answering. Do you know?

9. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Again, you're not reading, as it says in the article. They are claiming that their reason is "antitrust concerns", however, the head of the DOJ's own antitrust department said that this merger wouldn't be a problem, so something isn't right with the DOJ.

Again, FTFA:

Again, all there in the article.

BL.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

To be clear - they aren't specifically calling out CNN... they are calling out Turner Broadcasting which owns CNN. And it's likely because of concern of over-consolidation of media companies/control of programming. Turner owns a lot (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turner_Broadcasting_System).

My bigger concern would be over net neutrality and ATT having ownership in/of so many properties.

11. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I believe the actual statement from the DOJ was sell off the Turner division (CNN is part of this) or sell DirecTV.
    It wasn't to sell off CNN alone.

Source
    "Justice Department antitrust officials offered AT&T a choice to keep the deal alive: Get rid of Time Warner's Turner Broadcasting division, which includes CNN, or dispose of DirecTV, AT&T's giant satellite television provider."

While the decision may sound political, a lot of former regulators think the merger of two competitors of this size would present some serious antitrust issues.

12. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

So... This thread is all FUD??

13. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Not when you have the DOJ's own antitrust department stating that there isn't any major antitrust issue here.

BL.

14. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Apparently you can’t articulate the government’s concern. I see you don’t understand what the issues are.

According to your op you think it’s about Trump and revenge.

So this thread isn’t about the substantive issues around this case, it’s only about your dislike of Trump.

You don’t have time to make rational decisions according to a reasonable evaluation of the case facts. Being anti-Trump is all the you need.

Pretty unintelligent way to think through issues.

15. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Emotions as usual. ;)

16. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Trump's issue with CNN is the fly on the wall/elephant in the room, as it has been what is claimed by two separate, independent parties not associated with either side of the merger. I understand this completely; however, it is the government making the claim; therefore onus is on the government to prove antitrust is the problem before attempting to block anything.

So let's throw this back to you: I've shown that the DOJ is claiming antitrust. Can you indicate or justify their claim of antitrust?

BL.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Trump has no issues with CNN. No one did more to help get him elected than Zucker and CNN. They hired and put on air frequently a stable of Trump surrogates and ran his rallies uninterrupted and without commentary. His fake news schtick is nothing more than red meat to his base.

18. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I’m not supporting the DOJ or throwing a hissy fit blaming Trump as you did in your op.

I was merely evaluating the strength of your position since you created the thread. And your posts demonstrate you’re motivated by a dislike of Trump rather than an intellectual valuation of the DOJ objection.

It’s okay that you hold that position. I just wanted to clarify it. Thanks for being transparent.

19. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

These media mergers are bad news anyway, hopefully they scrap the whole idea.

20. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Sorry, that is your OPINION, rather as you or others are trying to imply, "emotional".

Again, I'm posting the article and posing the question, as there is no true definitive answer to their blocking of it yet, as there is proof and precedent that would show the exact opposite of their stance to be true. If there were a case of antitrust, NBC and Comcast are relatively bigger than ATT and TNT, with the same amount of media included with that merger, and it went through. With ATT and Time Warner, there is the specter of derision between a company owned by TNT and Trump and his administration. If he had left them alone instead of raising 1A implications, there wouldn't be a problem let alone an article here reporting on it.

Perhaps you should aim your question about emotion and transparency at Trump than myself.

BL.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

[
    To be fair, they don't have to be mutually exclusive. Trump could have put pressure on the DOJ and the balance of the story is true about anti-trust.

22. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Um...bradl? You didn’t ask a question. You editorialized. You went after Trump without a word about the DOJ’s concern. It’s ok to oppose the DOJ action merely out of a dislike for Trump. I don’t agree with your reasoning but you’re entitled to it.

23. hulugu, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The problem with Trump's everyday chicanery is that even reasonable actions by the DOJ start to sound nefarious.

During a speech in Gettysburg, Penn. Trump decried the merger, saying: "AT&T is buying Time Warner and thus CNN, a deal we will not approve in my administration, because it’s too much concentration of power in the hands of too few."

And, now the DOJ is thwarting the merger.

There are important questions: Did DOJ want to thwart the merger before Trump? Why the choice between Turner Broadcasting and DirectTV?

I can actually see the case for DirectTV, but Turner Broadcasting seems like a tougher argument for anti-trust reasons, so why that division?

The Trump administration appears to be ready to let Sinclair Broadcasting purchase Tribune Media's television stations, allowing the company to acquire 42 television stations in major markets.

So, why allow the Sinclair deal, but hold up the TW/AT&T deal?

It's an interesting story, in part because it may illustrate Trump's limits when it comes to business dealings, and could become problematic, especially if discovery during a lawsuit shows that the White House attempted to manipulate the DOJ and lied about it. Again.

24. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The NBC Comcast merger was no slam dunk.
    They had to comply with a few conditions for the deal to go through, 150 to be exact. One of those being how they set prices.
    Most of those restrictions expire in Sept. 2018.
    NBC and Comcast are a classic vertical merger of content creator and delivery provider.
    Since then, the DOJ has imposed tighter restrictions on these types of mergers.
    The rapid elimination of independent sources of media through merger is a genuine antitrust concern.
    Bernie Sanders, Al Franken, and Elizabeth Warren have all expressed concerns over the merger.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If Comcast was allowed to buy NBC/Universal and that huge catalog of content I don’t see how they can block Att and Time Warner. I was not a fan of Comcast buying NBC but what’s the difference here.

Also rumors of Disney buying part of Fox entertainment.