Dolenzal II: White guy scams Oprah pretending he's black and wins award meant for an African America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FieldingMellish, Aug 19, 2015.

1. FieldingMellish Suspended

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Haven't heard about it. Since you couldn't be bothered to post a link and maybe some text or at least just your usual copy and paste, I guess I still won't know about it.

3. sodapop1, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
  5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I puzzle somewhat over the relish with which various rightwing websites and news outlets greet these stories of people of questionable racial history.

What is the story here? Some people misrepresent/exaggerate/etc. certain aspects of their personal story? If some person is pretending to be black, then racism doesn't exist? Liberals are idiots? The emperor not only has no clothes, but his spray tan is starting to fade?

I really do wish the Breitbarts and Drudges of the world would have the courage to say what they really mean. Instead of wasting everybody else's time trying to figure out the convoluted - and ugly - reaches of their fervid imaginings.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Oprah's been scammed before. Remember "A Million Little Pieces?" Harpo Productions should hire a team of fact-checkers.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think its probably fairer to say that Frey's book publisher (Doubleday) should have done a little fact-checking. If memory serves, Oprah Winfrey had the guts to admit to being hoodwinked, apologized to her Book Club members, and had a quite memorable show where she confronted both the author and publisher.

We've all been scammed at some point in our lives. Being a victim of a scam isn't quite the same thing as perpetrating one.

8. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Since when is providing a link considered a statement? But I updated my post as requested :D

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Er, I meant that to go to Fielding. :p

10. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

I laugh at some responses, interpretation, excuses and attacks made here in light of this thread while the same people exult over the Duggar fiasco.

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

How exactly is this "news"? Seems like gossip trash for TMZ or the Enquirer. The media reporting this just goes to show how far media and society have fallen in the past couple decades.

How exactly is some unknown moron lying on a garbage TV show in any way related to a child molester?

12. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

It's kind of getting ... Worse.

It appears that the man's name is Shaun King.

Could it be true as of the latest report that, similar to Dolenzal,", Sean King has attained a high position in a black organization, in this case the Black Lives Matter organization?

Is so, I can hear George Takei saying his signature, "Oh, my!"

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm sorry Fielding, but you failed. This kind of thread demands a link to a reputable source, or at least a link that we can critique. That is your responsibility to provide. :)

14. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

15. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

So what the USA and the world were scammed by these two.

[​IMG]

WMD Iraq 2003.

You should be angry at the scammer, and not the victim of the scam.

17. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

BUT BUT THEY DID IT FIRST!! Hear that a lot...

From children.

18. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Now if you could set aside your hatred and bile for just one second, you would see that the point I was making was that, it’s the SCAMMER who is at fault and not the VICTIM.
    It has nothing to do with who did it first, as the poster pointed out in post #6.

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

You are still going to have to explain to me what the big deal is. No crime has been committed. Who - exactly - has been harmed? If it were African-American groups or the members of BLM that were up in arms, I could perhaps understand the issue. But they pretty much aren't.

Whatever this guy's story is, he certainly didn't scam Morehouse College out of a scholarship. Because - as that University points out - it doesn't make such awards on the basis of race.

Since pretty much all human beings contain at least some DNA relating us to an African ancestor, who is to say exactly what constitutes being an African-American or not? I don't know for certain - but I would expect actual African-Americans to better answer that question than a bunch of nutcases at fanatical right-wing garbage sites.

20. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

That's a stretch.

21. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

[​IMG]

22. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

I remember reading John Howard Griffin's "Black Like Me" a long time ago. I never imagined a white man or woman taking it to the next step.

Noted conservative author Ben Shapiro has some insight into this phenomenon. By the way, it should be noted that Mr. Shapiro, despite Obama’s best governance to the contrary, is a millennial that actually works in his chosen profession and he does not live with his parents.

Mr. Shapiro’s piece is called, “Why White People Seek Black Privilege.”

Mr. Shapiro starts:
    With Milo Yiannopoulos’ shocking report that Black Lives Matter activist Shaun King is in fact white – according to Yiannopoulos, quoting blogger Vicki Page, “King is white and has been lying about his ethnicity for years” – taboo questions now arise about the nature of race in America.

King, of course, isn’t the first leading black activist with no black biological background: Rachel Dolezal, former head of the Spokane, Washington NAACP and adjunct professor of African-American studies at Eastern Washington, turned out to be a white woman.

However, King was a key figure in the same movement that now runs the Democratic Party, using the tools of racial victimhood and division to leverage power.

All of this demonstrates one undeniable fact: being black in America in 2015 is perceived as a status symbol and an advantage. This does not deny the horrific and evil history of racism against black people in America. It also does not deny the fact that a disproportionate number of black people live in poverty and suffer as victims of crime (primarily from other black people, just as white people suffer crime primarily from other white people).

But Dolezal and King make it clear that America’s attempts to repair the effects of that horrific history have now made black skin advantageous for a certain subset of activists, which is why people like Dolezal and now allegedly King have masqueraded as black for personal advantage.

Victim status is treasured in America, and black skin guarantees automatic victim status thanks to America’s history. In America’s racist heyday, black people attempted to pass for white in order to escape destitution and persecution; today, white people attempt to pass for black — or appropriate black culture — to win popularity.

In areas across American culture, blackness is beneficial. That’s why people like King and Dolezal seek its imprimatur, even under allegedly false pretenses.

For example, King allegedly received a scholarship to Morehouse College from Oprah Winfrey on the basis of his allegedly fake race. He apparently took a scholarship from a black person in order to attend Morehouse. But the fact that scholarships based on race are available from many foundations – and only to racial minorities – means that it is definitionally advantageous to be a member of a minority for purposes of obtaining one.

…It goes on….

Shapiro ends with:
    There’s a reason that people like Dolezal, and now allegedly King, masquerade as black. It’s an advantage in the academic, media, and political arena – and that’s true on both sides of the political aisle, where Barack Obama would not have been elected or re-elected without being black, and where Dr. Ben Carson would be approximately as well-known as Dr. Milton Wolf were he white. The question isn’t why King reportedly tried to pass as black. The question is why America keeps pretending that blackness is an unbreakable barrier, when in fact, it can be a tremendous asset.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm a little disappointed. When I read that someone scammed Oprah, I wanted to say, "It couldn't happen to a nicer guy." This isn't exactly the same thing :(.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

To sum up your argument, you're saying that the only reason these people have become accomplished individuals is due to their being black, because liberals can't help but fall over themselves to reward them for the simple sake of being black?

Man. That's....yeah, that's pretty crass.