Domestic data roming

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BiggAW, Dec 6, 2011.

1. BiggAW macrumors 68020

So there is an option in the iPhone's settings to disable data roaming. I know that this disables international data roaming, but would it also disable domestic data roaming, i.e. EDGE on Verizon GSM?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Verizon iPhone does not roam on AT&T's GSM network. Only international ones.

3. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Someone missed the point. My signature clearly says I have AT&T if you had any question (plus, the Verizon iPhone uses CDMA not GSM). I have data roaming turned off. If I go to New Hampshire, AT&T roams on Verizon GSM where there isn't native AT&T. My question is, would the phone use data on Verizon GSM if data roaming was still turned off? This would be the same for any other roaming partner, if that roaming partner offered data roaming.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Signatures are usually wrong with outdated information or general eyecandy spam. I rarely look at them at all. As you probably know, Verizon does not have a GSM network. Without there being one, there is no way an AT&T iPhone can roam on one.

5. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Verizon owns and operates a GSM network across a piece of upstate New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and most of Maine. However, I was using that as an example, since it's the only one I would normally roam on, the question would be the same for any other AT&T roaming partner that offers data roaming. It was the only one I could think of off the top of my head. GCI is a roaming partner, but they don't offer data service in the Alaskan villages.

6. scaredpoet, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The correct answer is no, turning off data roaming on any AT&T iPhone has no effect on roaming within the US.

However, this is because AT&T's plans include roaming on domestic GSM networks at no additional charge. On AT&T's coverage maps, this is indicated as "partner" coverage. Verizon's (former Alltel) GSM networks are included as part of this roaming agreement. So, you can roam on those networks, and not be charged anything additional.

And, purely for marketing purposes, AT&T has further blurred that line by programming their SIM cards to list all US GSM coverage as "AT&T." So, even if you're roaming in the US, no GSM/UMTS phone with an AT&T SIM installed will actually tell you you're roaming. The indicator will just read "AT&T."

The downside to all of this is, as you've mentioned, you can't really tell if you're really on AT&T's network, or on some partner with limited services. There used to be a way to call up customer service and ask them to add a code to your account, so that your SIM would would tell you if you're roaming or not. But even then, you'd only get an "Off Network" Alpha Tag, not the actual ID of the carrier. Unfortunately I forget what that account code is. It's probably not even valid anymore.

EDIT: The account code is "4EON." Again I haven't tried it myself so I don't know if it still works or not. I do know that AT&T significantly changed/upgraded their billing software since I last heard of people using that code (2008ish).

7. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok, let's make this even more complicated. I have 4EON, does that still mean that I will be able to roam on Verizon GSM without data roaming turned on?

FYI, the Verizon GSM I was referring to is ex-Unicel. I forgot all about Alltel!

And yes, 4EON does work. It also enlightened me to the fact that AT&T has in-market roaming on Verizon. In a town in NH that has full 3G AT&T service, if I go in the bottom of a building, I will roam on Verizon, since Verizon is using CLR, and AT&T is using PCS. Go figure.

The only way to tell what actual carrier you're on (other than knowing what carriers are where) is to place an erroneously dialed number and listen to the response, as it often will have the company's name in it. Weird, I know.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes. 4EON only affects the alpha tag being displayed. To the phone, the network will still be indicated as "preferred," and the phone will connect to it, because it's being led to believe that these different networks are really part of one big, happy family.

9. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok, thanks. Good to know.