Domestic terrorist attacks Austin, TX - Elected Officials Silent

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AustinIllini, Mar 19, 2018.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Austin has been hit by 4 bombs in 3 weeks. The president is silent.
    Two Americans are dead. Did their lives matter to Trump?
    By Dara Linddara@vox.com Mar 19, 2018, 2:40pm EDTSHARE
    [​IMG]Drew Anthony Smith/Getty Images
    An American city is under attack, and the president of the United States isn’t saying anything about it.

Four bombs have exploded in residential neighborhoods in Austin since March 2, in what appears to be an increasingly sophisticated bombing campaign. According to Austin’s police chief, more than 500 federal agents are working on the case as police try frantically to track down any leads to the bomber.

These are the moments when a president typically has to act as a head of state — to acknowledge the pain and fear Americans are feeling, and to reassure them that their government is doing all it can to keep them safe. But this is President Trump, and he has often been oddly silent at times when other presidents would have offered soothing words.

In the case of Austin, the president’s silence — during a time when he’s been so outspokenabout so many things — suggests either ignorance or callousness. Either he is unaware that an American city is being terrorized, or he doesn’t think it’s as important as Sean Hannity’s appearances on Fox & Friends. Neither is acceptable.

Trump has already missed his chance to speak out without raising awkward questions about whose lives matter
    The first three explosions — which killed 39-year-old Anthony House and 17-year-old Draylen Mason, as well as injuring two women — were package bombs, leading the Austin Police Department to caution residents not to open or touch any suspicious packages. When the second and third bombs exploded on March 12, investigators began to put together a pattern that suggested that the bombings were related: House’s and Mason’s families knew each other through black community activism. (The third bomb injured a Latina woman in east Austin, though it’s not clear whether it was intended for her.)

The president tweeted about a “heartbreaking” bridge collapse at Florida International University. He sent condolences to the families of two naval aviators. He fired his secretary of state over Twitter and spent the end of the week hinting ominously to the press that more firings were on the horizon. He warned about the hypothetical threat to the safety of Americans posed by “dangerous criminal aliens,” “set free to prey on innocent Americans.”

But he didn’t say anything about the actual threat to the safety of innocent Americans posed by Austin’s package bombs.

A president who cared more about trying to reassure all Americans that he was their president regardless of whether they voted for him in 2016 — or who felt any lingering shame over his response to violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, in September 2017, when his insistence on blaming “both sides” struck many as a defense of neo-Nazis — might have been particularly quick to condemn attacks that were killing black Americans involved in racial justice.

But the president — who, by all reports, is more self-confident and self-reliant than ever, and increasingly convinced that he understands the presidency better than his advisers — felt no need to do any of that.

The fourth explosion, which happened Sunday night and injured two cyclists, was similar enough to the previous bombs for investigators to believe the bombings were related, but was triggered by a “tripwire” — a much more sophisticated form of bomb, and one much harder to avoid.

Residents of the Austin neighborhood where Sunday night’s bomb went off were told not to leave their houses Monday morning so that law enforcement could sweep the area. School buses didn’t go in, and absences were excused.

The president tweeted about “witch hunts” instead.

Because both the cyclists were white and the bomb was in a southwestern Austin neighborhood (which, unlike the east Austin neighborhoods to which the package bombs were addressed, isn’t predominantly black), the latest bombing might complicate the picture of the bomber’s motivations — though police stress that they’re not ruling out any potential motive right now.

Honestly, that means the window for Trump to say something about Austin without awkward follow-up questions may have already closed. If he speaks out now, he runs the risk of making it look like he only cares now that white people are being harmed. But with each day he remains silent, it begins to look, more and more, like he’s waiting for more information before he decides whether to condemn bombings killing Americans on American soil.

The residents of Austin deserve to be just as safe and secure as anyone else in the country. If the president really believes that, it’s hard to understand what is keeping him from saying it, or tweeting it.

2. danny_w macrumors 601

Really scary what is happening here. I never expected anything like this in our beautiful Austin.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I first read about this yesterday, and I was pretty surprised I hadn't heard anything about it previously. I have family (in-laws, actually) near there and I've been in and around Austin multiple times the past few weeks, and this has never come up.

That being said, I LOVE the police chief's plan of action - "Please turn yourself in. We want to understand why you're doing this," or words very much to that effect. I'm sure it'll bring a suspect in straightaway.

If you're around Austin, please be careful.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I don't think anyone, including the President, doesn't think the people of Austin deserve to be safe and secure. That said the president has spoken out about violence in Chicago (where I live) and it really doesn't make anyone feel better after every weekend that passes and the bodies keep piling up.

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

The crime doesn’t really fit the narrative for Trumps war on immigration. The last thing he needs is a home grown American doing what brown Muslims do. If he gives this story any legs then it’ll deflect away from his propaganda.

6. Zenithal, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018

Zenithal macrumors 604

Glad to know you guys are alright. I read elsewhere that the bombs were targetting minorities? Very surprising given that Austin's become such a diverse and progressive place. Hopefully they catch the bastard(s) doing this.

Bit late for that. Some in the nation calling Cruz a troubled teen was one of the more recent actions. There's a very Liberal term called "passing" when you look white. Unless I'm mistaken, Cruz is an old Spanish name and he was also Jewish (through his mother). But, hey, he looks white and the other guys are brown. This is what a weak administration does. That's what a weak state government does. If he had olive skin tone he'd have been pummeled through the press and in certain circles.

There are people in this country who become overly emotional when they hear strangers speaking a foreign language. That should tell you a lot about the mental maturity of some in this country.

7. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

AFAIK the person or people responsible for the bombings hasn't been identified yet, so it's a bit early to state it's a domestic or a home-grown terrorist. It's fine to theorize of course, which may or may not bear out, but some of you are stating it as fact instead of supposition.

8. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

You’re right, of course, that it’s all just speculation that this point. But this doesn’t really seem to fit into the MO of Islamic terrorists. They usually don’t target individuals in a one-off manner and they typically claim responsibility shortly after.

I do agree that we know absolutely nothing about who is doing this and what their motives are though.

9. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Just because Trump hasn't said anything publicly doesn't mean he's not aware, or hasn't contacted the victims family privately. There's no way for us at this point to know what resources are being utilized. For all we know there could be a couple of military drones over Austin right now, trying to find the perp. Hopefully they can pull cell phone records and video footage to find out who this scumbag is.

10. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I mean, yeah, my guess is it's a lone, educated, white male US citizen like the Unibomber, for obvious similarities, initial targets, and simple odds of American demographics. But that's just a guess. I also remember what we all thought about the DC sniper turned out to be wrong. The Austin bomber could easily be more like the Boston bombers than the Unibomber.

But the headline of this post literally says "domestic terrorist" as if it is established fact, and someone has already said the bomber doesn't fit Trump's narrative, as if he knew all about the bomber already.

11. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I would be absolutely knocked-off-my-chair shocked if he has done this.

When has he ever done right by someone and not immediately publicized it and demanded accolades for it?

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Trump will say something about the bombings when Fox and Friends tells him to say something about the bombings.

13. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

That's a good question. I think it's only fair to hold off on passing judgement until after this killer is caught and we know that facts though. At this point it's just speculation with a strong political bias. I don't think it would help if Trump came out and said we have the BEST drones, or fed intelligence to catch this terrorist. That would make it harder if the perp knows and stops, then goes into hiding.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is starting to remind me of those two freaks who drove around the Washington area shooting people from their car.

No apparent motive or ideology. Only a Joker-like desire to cause random terror.

15. Altis macrumors 68030

Nobody thinks it'll ever happen where they live, or to them, until it does.

Especially my (younger) generation, born into a society that is safer than any in human history. It's harder for us to imagine things going wrong because they generally haven't.

Makes you appreciate what we have and so often take for granted. I hope they figure this one out quickly and safely.

16. JayMysterio, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018

JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I realize that Chicago has become a de facto talking point amongst conservatives when violence is brought up, but that just doesn't apply here. The violence in Chicago is based on crime, gun accessibility, and a whole list of things. It's the handy deflection when race is a factor. In this case history shows it might be. It's been shown by the early bombings that race seemed to be a factor. The fact that bombs were left at specific addresses early on show targeting.

When 45 spoke about Chicago it was about political points & demonization. I mean I'm still waiting for him to give that important guy on a motorcycle the tools he needs to get the job done in Chicago since the mayor won't it seems. Supposedly since the cop is still a mystery, but could fix Chicago's ills in 'a couple of days'. Can't say he's to worried about local authorities, since he trumpeted playing tough claiming to send federal help. Big changes yet from the 20 or so? I figured we'd hear more about this.

It's not like 45 doesn't know where Texas is, he was proud to trumpet the fast response he had a hand in during the hurricanes.

What is consistent though? It seems if minorities are primarily involved, this administration is a little slow to respond.

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

As this is a serial crime it may be advisable not to draw the POTUS into this until justice is served so as not to inflate the ego of the bomber?

That said the government should be making clear how they are addressing the problem and reassuring people.

Personally I hate in any context when people complain about horrific crimes committed by individuals not being “denounced”. Everyone knows these crimes are bad, there’s no need to denounce them.

I hope whoever is responsible is brought to justice quickly and that no more casualties are incurrrd.

18. Zenithal macrumors 604

Well, if the police catch the person or persons in the act, perhaps they can clutch it and detonate to save the taxpayers some money.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I have mixed feelings about criticizing the President for not making a statement.

It's clear that federal authorities are on the ground and working the case, and having the Yammerer in Chief bloviate won't help anything—at best, it will be empty words, but Chief Runamuck seems to know how to Anti-Midas any given situation. (See the brouhaha after the death of Sgt. La David Johnson).

That said, the President has the remarkably bad habit of ignoring crimes if the victims are not white until it becomes a political problem. At which point he shows up, screws up, and reminds us all why he wasn't hired to be the Consoler-in-Chief.

But, it's an ugly pattern that the White House cannot seem to get ahead of.

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Personally I’d prefer Trump not comment on anything... or as little as humanly possible. His responses are generally nothing less than cringeworthy and the blowback is nauseating.

As my 1st grade teacher would say to the super disruptive kid in the class, “put your head down and do your work”. Trump could benefit from the same advice.

21. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

My only issue with that is it seems that if the perpetrator might be a PoC 45 can't wait to condemn them. Even to the point of incorrectly identifying a possible criminal, but if they aren't a PoC he wants to weigh things carefully. Get a group of PoC and there's calls to consider them terrorists. Get a serial killer who isn't a PoC and there's another call not to rush to judgement and carefully consider the definition of a terrorist.

It isn't a matter of denouncing the crime, it's a matter of certain powers to acknowledge things evenly. Especially when they seem so reluctant, if not outright recalcitrant.

Of course though, we hope this person or persons is caught quickly.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

If the perpetrator is Muslim, we're going to have a push for the travel ban.
    If the perpetrator is Hispanic, we're going to have a push for the wall, and limits on immigration.
    If the perpetrator is black, we're going to hear about problems in black families.
    If the perpetrator is liberal, we're going to hear about how liberals have turned to domestic terrorism.
    If the perpetrator is white, the Trump administration will treat the perpetrator as an individual.

This script is obvious.

23. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Weren’t the last two victims white?

24. Zenithal macrumors 604

Well, to be honest, regardless of the terrorist's race, it'll provide the White House with much needed distraction from the garbage spewing out of 1600. Without sounding crass, I'm sure Sarah Sanders is a tiny bit thankful this is on America's radar and not having to lie through her teeth more than she usually does.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 19, 2018 ---
    Yes, but they were bystanders and not the intended victim(s).

25. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Oh. But if the bomber sets up a random bomb wouldn’t that suggest that race isn’t a motivation?