Don´t you think new macbook pro is uglier?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by knucles, Oct 16, 2008.

1. knucles macrumors regular

i mean, i totally love apple from macs to ipods but i notice something:
    they changing the designs just for keaping fresh; i have a ipod nano 1st gen and i think its the most beautiful ever. same thing happened now with macbook pros, i would love to replace my aluminum macbook pro but i honestly thing the new one is uglier, and i'm a design student....

its just me?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I think its hideous , personally. But seriously, if Apples entire design team said "This thing is Fugly" Probably a year ago (since we can assume they have been working on it for a number of years), they wouldn't have showed it to jobs, and they probably wouldn't have jobs (lol).

To each his own. I'm sure the manager approved it with high hopes. Some here like it, some here hate it. Queue the "Please Search" Threads.

3. Logos327 macrumors 6502

There are about 800 threads on this topic already please search from now on and post in those.

Your idea is not original or new just as mine (liking the new design) isn't either.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I do. But even uglier is the ridiculous number of new threads started on this topic, rather than people searching the forums and posting their opinions in one of the dozens of existing threads.

5. bitesize macrumors member

When I first saw the rumor photos and the online pics, I thought it was really weird and ugly too. But after my trip down to the Apple Store yesterday, I have to say it's really nice in person.

Those online pics really don't do it much justice.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think its beautiful, and beautifully built.

May not just be your style tho....

To each his own.

7. mark88 macrumors 6502a

As a piece of engineering, it's incredible. Especially when you see it next to the old Macbook Pro. The case is perfect....

The only issue is the black, it's not in any way subtle so you could say it's lost a bit of 'class' and got louder, more vulgar and looks like a lot of other laptops.

I think it might have made more sense for the Pro version to remain the same color.

8. sk47 macrumors member

have u seen the thing in person?

9. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

10. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Absolutely, thats why I am not buying it plus

NO Built in 3G Antenna
    NO Blu-Ray Drive
    NO Silver Keys
    NO Matte Screen
    NO Hi Res Screen
    YES Butt Ugly Bezel
    YES Sharp Edges

11. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

I personally think it's spot on! I like how it is more like the Macbook so they can relate to each other more. the design is nice because of the more streamlined unibody and because of the chicklet keyboard. but if you want an old refurbished MBP you can buy them for only 999 now on some site found. I'm picking up a 2.0 Ghz soon so I gotta like it, lol

12. davez82 macrumors newbie

i think the design is more functional. They macbook like keys are more sturdy instead of the flimsy aluminum keys. The Black bezel of the screen is more appealing maybe to windows users, but theres a reason black bezels make better screens especially for professional photograghy. The all aluminum silver look was good, but I think in a tactile manner the new mbp seems more appealing to touch.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Closed is looks great. Open I have serious issues with the black keyboard and black bezel on the display. I'm not sure why Apple didn't make the keyboard silver to match the case. The screen is a total disaster. Very UNprofessional looking. I hope this is an anomaly and Apple isn't losing it's design touch.

I bought one anyway, but I hope Apple fixes these issues in the next speed bump.

14. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Yeah they should have just upgrade the Macbook pro with the new feature ports, Magnetic close, graphics card and multi-touch pad. No need for design change.

15. manofthehill macrumors newbie

I'm torn...

I like it, overall. The black keys over aluminum recalls the Ti Book, which was awesome, and the black frame around the screen, while not as novel as a PowerBook's/MBP's, is actually very helpful when it comes to gauging colors, etc.

For me, a deal breaker is the lack of an option for a non-glossy (anti-glare) screen. I realize these things are personal, but it is practically unusable for me (my fiance has a glossy Dell).

Overall, great-looking, simplified machine. But I hope there is a non-glossy version before long. I'll need one within a couple years, as my 1.67 PB will not last forever.

-Chris H.

16. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

It's beautiful! Gotta love the amazing design. Glossy... eh. I can adjust to that easily.

Otherwise, it's a steal for me. I'm going to buy one possibly after a refresh in the upcoming months late winter, early spring, so it leaves me enough time to buy before college.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I went to check it out at the store; I have to say the glossy actually looks really nice. But I wouldn't buy it because I'm a matte person.

18. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Pcmag loves it, and so do I – both the MB & MBP.

I actually though the old MBP looked liked something from the 90s, the key board felt like it was made out of low quality plastic and was ugly (I'm probably the only person here who likes the chicklett keyboard, amirite?)

19. bebetc macrumors member

bebetc

I think is very pretty but everyone has their on opinions about the new design, now if you don't like then don't buy it easy as that!! ;);)

20. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

Yes I agree, to me it is extremely cheap looking like the countless other brands on the local discount store shelves. Kind of reminds me in a way of a low end HP. That is however my opinion and I am not trying to knock the machine itself as I am sure the insides are of better quality than the $500 HPs at BB. Actually what I find the most repulsive is the el cheapo looking black plastic keyboard. I mean come on, could they not send an extra 5 cents and use some better materials than that? I couldn't believe the MacBook Pro would be made so much cheaper than the previous generation. It looked to me to be nothing more than a bigger version of the MacBook. Anyway the cheap black bezel area around the screen, cheap plastic keys, loss of the latch mechanism for the lid, etc. Really take away from what the Pro was in quality over the other offerings. I guess I could see this type of lower quality machine being introduced as a middle offering while still leaving the high quality Pro with better design and materials as the previous generation was, but to replace the Pro with the low end macbook design is baffling to me. I mean come on, what are they smoking out there? It would be different if the macbook (Now basically the same machine as the Pro) didn't cost half as much for the same stuff. I think the Macbook design now is really good for the money but to make the Pro the same cheap class for so much more is the most puzzling thing I have seen yet from Apple. I went to the Apple store to see them in person and can attest the Pro and the Macbook are the exact same materials to a tee. Well I personally think they will really put a hurt on Pro sales doing this. Kind of like a Cadillac dealer selling the exact same car as a Chevy for twice as much, good luck I will enjoy seeing this get pulled off successfully. The things that differentiate the two are now completely gone leaving only some minor specs with internals being different. Oh well, lets see what the next Pro refresh will look like but I am willing to bet that unless Apple is planning on phasing out the Pro line altogether, it will look completely different than a Macbook with better materials again.

21. tony-in-japan macrumors regular

Judging a book by its cover from afar...

People are judging the design from afar like it was some kind of sculpture in an art-gallery.

You get a laptop to work on, and, actually, if you spend some hours working on it you will notice the black of the bezel is very pleasant to work on (especially at night).

Also, have a look in person to see the small design details and craftsmanship of the product -- it is first rate.

By the way, I am a designer too with an appreciation of form and aesthetics, and the new designs are actually excellent. I would not be surprised if they won a few product design awards too.

22. Nosfera macrumors newbie

Last gen MBP looks better.

New MBP looks like a dell.

23. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I didn't want to like the current iMac design as opposed to the old, and I don't want to like the new MacBook design. But, as seems to always happen with Apple's products, the new design will probably grow on me and it will start to look normal and desirable. I think the lynchpin of the new design will be the ability of the LED screens to effectively shine through the glass in many lighting conditions. I like the viewing experience of the iMac, and I hope it will translate well to use in the new MacBooks.

24. Bobeder9 macrumors member

I dont care too much for it. As said above, im sure it will grow on me, but I am perfectly happy with everything about my SR MBP.

25. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

Actually, I went to the Apple store and spent quite a bit of time playing with it in person and to me it is even uglier in person than in the pictures. Especially the cheap feeling plastic keys and the cheesy black display bezel. This is just my opinion and I am not a designer or expert, but I know ugly and cheaper build quality when I see it. I can't believe Apple did this downgrade to the MBP and expect to charge the same money for it.