Donald Trump: ‘We will stop racing to topple foreign regimes’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zin, Dec 7, 2016.

1. zin macrumors 6502

Donald Trump is the only person who ran for 2016 that would make this part of his platform (and wasn't cheated out of the nomination). Hillary supported more wars and more interventions and the fake liberals still voted for her. Sad!

2. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

One has to assume Trump is talking about Syria, so what part of our relationship with Saudi Arabia does he not understand?

Saudi's are Sunni muslims, the majority of the Syrian population are Sunni muslims, while the Assad regime are Shiite's. We are involved in Syria because the Saudi's want us there, and considering the fact that the Saudi's are keeping the cost of oil low for us, and the fact that they perpetuate the petrol-dollar by only taking $USD$ in exchange for oil, we oblige them.

I would hope Trump understands this, so are we going to see a shift in US/Saudi relations?

Will Russia become the major US supplier of crude oil?

Can Russia offer us enough light sweet crude, at a price competitive to the Saudi's?

Will Russia agree to perpetuate the Petrol-Dollar, by agreeing to take only $USD$ in exchange for oil?

3. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Now, now: don't be bringing detail and nuance into this discussion. You'll harsh @zin's buzz. OTOH, maybe his keyboard won't get sticky. Again.

4. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

I for one welcome an American president that doesn't suck up to Saudi Arabia, given that they are funding ISIS. They're loaded and (literally) living like kings; they can pay for their own defence.

5. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just wondering if it can be pulled off, by anyone, without the collapse of the Petrol-Dollar, which I'm also not opposed to.

6. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

[​IMG]
    You so edgy, @CaptMurdock. Stay classy.

7. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Dank memes bro.

8. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

About as dank as the classy post talking about someone orgasming on their keyboard. What do you have to say about that, bruh? Or is it kewl?

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ill take a shot at it. Get an iPhone they clean up easier.

10. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

I personally don't care about that post, I just wanted to point out your dank meme skills bruh.

[​IMG]

11. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Art thou accusing me of being declasse?

Take that back. I've a banana cream pie with your name on it, knucklehead. :)

12. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Why can't we produce enough oil and gas ourselves to be self-sufficient? Or at least get off of Saudi and OPEC oil so we are not beholden to them?

13. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

We can, but Saudi/OPEC oil is light sweet crude, and relatively near to the surface. It's just much cheaper to bring to market, if you don't factor in external costs like our military involvement in the Middle East.

In a lot of ways, we're just fighting the entrenched power structure. "They" are getting the money now, and they will spend it to ensure they continue to get the money.

14. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

I cannot speak for all oil companies but Conoco Phillips has essentially shuttered all plans to drill and open new rigs. They even laid off nearly all of their geoscientists. They won't be expanding their local oil/gas exploitation until the price of oil is no longer suppressed and that won't be for awhile.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I like that "I'll take a shot at it" could be considered part of the joke.

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Backing away from this regime change nonsense was the primary attractant to me of the entire Trump shtick.

China, Russia and others are working diligently to move away from the petro-dollar. If successful, it would mean the end of the dollar as the world's reserve currency; not immediately, but not over a lengthy time-span. Such a change would tank the dollar against many world currencies and lead to very high consumer price inflation here in the U.S.

Energy independence? Never happen here, absent a total meltdown of the rest of the economy. We use almost twice what we can produce domestically. We could reduce our demand quite a bit if we "brought the boys home", since the US military is the largest single consumer of transportation fuel.

The publicized price of oil is based on Brent crude and West Texas Intermediate. Both are light, sweet crudes. Crudes of lesser quality (high sulfur content, and such as Canadian tar sand or Venezuelan "mud") command lower prices per barrel. So any oil from Russia would be at or very near to the regular world price of WTI.

17. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Most of our oil usage is for transportation. Why couldn't we move to EVs powered by natural gas power plants and other renewables? We have plenty of natural gas. It would take 10-15 years but we could become energy independent.

If you doubt this, my family of three drivers has been completely off of gasoline for over two years now.

18. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

Consumers Energy just built a new natural gas station about 3/4 of mile where I live. They also tore down their current building and are doing something to that property and I'm still trying to figure what they are doing. All their company cars (actually vans) run on Natural Gas. Pretty interesting this is happening so close to where I live, especially in Michigan of all places. I don't think it's all doom and gloom for us here in the U.S. and hopefully pretty soon we can all turn around, pull our pants down and moon the hell out of Saudi Arabia. :D:D:D

19. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Libya as well.

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

So where was Trump when Bush Junior decided to topple Hussein instead of going after Bin Laden?

Oh, right, back then, he supported invading Iraq.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

He was a private citizen.

22. Desertrat macrumors newbie

EVs are fine for around-town commuter cars. Not worth a hoot for heavy work over lengthy periods. Semis, earth-moving equipment, farm tractors and such. Not many EVs can put in ten or fifteen hours of uninterrupted work.

Only some 40% of a barrel of oil is made into transportation fuel. The rest winds up as anything from asphalt pavement to tires to nylon undies and other consumer products. Natural gas is the raw material for over 300 consumer products, as well as heating and some transportation fuel.

FWIW, the US record of regime change in foreign countries:

https://westernrifleshooters.files.wordpress.com/2016/12/czxff5jxaaav9po-jpg-large.jpeg

23. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

But the other 60% can be locally sourced? Doesn't require light sweet from Saudi Arabia?

I've used my EV to travel hundreds of miles on vacations and others have taken EVs cross country with no problems.

Most trucks can also be be retrofitted for natural gas fairly easily.