Donald Trump announces US should recognise Israeli annexation of Golan Heights

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stylinexpat, Mar 21, 2019.

1. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

3. stylinexpat, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  4. hawkeye_a, Mar 25, 2019

hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Israel and Syria have a negotiated cease-fire line which is the de-facto border between the two states.

Changing the position of that line requires a mutual agreement by both sides, and either side is within their right to veto any change to the cease-fire line. (Note, said line is a result of a negotiation agreed to by both parties).

The Golan Heights is part of the state of Israel as per those terms, and the US is now acknowledging that fact.

5. LordVic macrumors 603

Won't change opinions of those who hide behind "anti-isreal" as their excuse for their real stance of "anti jew". it also won't change those who willingly ignore that Syria agreed to the cease fire. there are certain people who are determined, no matter what, to be against Israel for their own purposes and facts be damned.

6. stylinexpat, Mar 25, 2019
  7. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

It’s always amusing when some people think every Jew on the planet is the Israeli government and endorses their actions. It’s a whole new level of racism.

8. stylinexpat, Mar 25, 2019

stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

This is very very true because many don’t just as many Muslims also don’t endorse the actions of ISIS. It’s always important to separate actions from the government and extremist parties from the rest of the people.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2019 ---
    So who is Genie Oil? Who are the people involved in Genie Energie? Another conspiracy theory?? :rolleyes:

These two are a must watch..

Maybe we will have another chance..

If you fast forward to today this makes sense. What the Saudi Defense Minister I once met in Paris was actually right. Today if Iraq and Syria were close friends Israel would not be able to take over the Golan Heights and other parts of Palestine nor would they be able to attack Lebanon so freely. What parts of these videos is or are completely false?

9. A.Goldberg, Mar 25, 2019

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Thank you for posting Rick Wiles, a known antisemite (as well as Anti-Islam, anti-LGBT, etc). Someone I wouldn’t suggest associating with in any form.

Be careful who you pick to endorse your thoughts.

I’m not going to watch that whole video but I skipped to partway through they criticize Netanyahu for wanting to address Saddam Hussein’s weapons of mass destruction citing a 1990 interview. Then they cite the US invaded in 2003 to find no weapons. Except that’s probably because collation forces fought the Persian Gulf War to destroy the WOMD’s Iraq had stockpiled starting in the 1960’s until their destruction starting in 1991. Iraq admitted they had WOMDs. :rolleyes: These people are completely ignorant of history.

10. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I did not know that he was an anti-semite. I will do a bit more research next time before linking a video. This was the first time I had seen those videos and did not know of them or that person prior to seeing them this time around. Video popped up on Youtube and I honestly did not know :( .One could also assume or say these days as well that Fox News happens to be racist and Islamophobic as well then based off what they report and discuss as well then.
    On the other hand what though from those videos was false and not true? They call themselves Tru News it seems like. What did they report which was not true and what was true? I would not expect Fox News to tell us exactly whom that oil company is, whose the people behind it are, and why the Golan Heights was really illegally occupied for.

11. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Netanyahu is a secular war monger who uses Judaism to garner sympathy or justification from the rest of the world. In a minimum defense of that, that behavior seems to be a disturbing preoccupation with that region of the world. If they weren’t siting their God for every action everybody would realize they’re just a bunch of *******s.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Based on the few minutes I watched “Tru News” made grossly false statements.

You’re going to have to summarize because I don’t think anyone is going to watch an hour of videos at your behest.

13. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I think there could be some false statements but one can not say everything is false and not true because one does not want to watch or hear. For something to be false there has to be evidence to support it showing that there is no reasonable doubt for it to be true. I think if videos were too short they would not cover stories properly and clearly. History takes time to tell (explain).

14. jerwin macrumors 68020

how much of ukraine, how much of georgia is actually Russian?
    how much of India is actually chinese? (and vice versa)
    how much of Pakistan is actually Indian? (and vice versa)

15. FrenchRoasted macrumors regular

The answer to all of those is: None of our (US) business. As long as we are supporting Israel to the tune of $billions/year, we are very much involved with that mess.

16. jerwin macrumors 68020

as a general principle, its unwise to recognize the right of conquest, as it encourages belligerency

17. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well to be fair (and Trump does not seem to recognize this) but according to U.N. international law the Golan Heights have been disputed territory for decades. Now that being said I'm friends with a soldier (Canadian Army) who did a deployment as part of the U.N there. At the time it was considered "The Club Med of Deployments" for it's cushy and relaxed atmosphere... though a couple of decades might have changed that view point.

So what Trump is doing is going against the U.N (no surprise there) and Canada is just saying we're sticking with the U.N.

18. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

So let's stop supporting them. We don't do it with any other country or for any other reason (and we don't even have a unique/strong reason for this support!).

19. FrenchRoasted macrumors regular

No argument from me on that score.

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They should criticize Netanyahu for that, given that Israel maintains a double standard on this kind of thing. They are not particularly transparent about their own nuclear capabilities, but as I have said many times, Netanyahu is a lot like Trump (disingenuous).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/dec/04/un-tells-israel-nuclear-inspectors

21. jerwin macrumors 68020

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...-poliicy-israel-divides-american-jews/585727/

22. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

I would not say that they should not be supported but I think both parties should be supported equally and if punished then punished equally. We should be fair and honest neutral brokers to broker peace between the two sides. Perhaps by making both sides pay a price then maybe the two sides will stop fighting and come to a neutral peace agreement where the two can travel freely between both states without any worry. Religious extremists should be banned from both government parties I think. None in the Israeli Parliament and none in the Palestinian Parliament. Personal religious preferences and beliefs should be kept out of government policies,bills and laws. Two Democratic states side by side would be quite nice to see.

23. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Hardly, they're just occupying it.

This is the beginning of the end for Israel as a Jewish state. They'll annex the West Bank next and the Palestinians will start agitating for a binational state. At that point it's just a matter of time.

24. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

For Palestinians and Syrians that have their homes and territories annexed from them is a form of theft, war crime, provocation and incitement against them and their people. When you have religious extremists moving in from abroad and building walls around your streets and neighborhoods so that you can’t travel any where and to force you to move out and leave the area so that they could move in is a form of incitement and provocation which at that point is just a matter of time as a tipping point ;) Do we blame those who retaliate then or those who provoke and incite ?