Donald Trump: Anyone who burns American flag should be jailed or lose citizenship

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Nov 29, 2016.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

From The Independent

2. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Well there goes my weekend tradition. Was fun while it lasted.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Personally, I rather like George Takei's response, subtle, restrained, intelligent - as you would expect from such a distinguished and gracious man - on, yes, Twitter - when he wrote: "I pledged allegiance to the flag every morning inside an interment camp. I would never burn one, but I'd die to protect the right to do so."

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And yet again we go for the "look at the left hand to be blinded to the actions of the right" routine.

Look at his ****ing picks and their histories, not this ******** twitter nonsense.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Apparently president elect snowflake needs a safe space from citizens exercising their constitutional rights.

6. appleisking macrumors 6502a

A troubling sentiment no doubt. Thankfully there is no law on the books actually banning this, so empty words as usual.

7. SteveJobzniak, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

SteveJobzniak macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

2016:
    trump.png

2005:
    hillary.png

gov.png
    (Source: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/109/s1911/details)

And notice that Trump said "jail for a year", exactly as Hillary's bill. I am pretty sure Trump just said this to make a fool of the media again, knowing that Hillary did it first. He's always been pulling stunts like this to expose their hypocrisy and double standards. The corrupt media hilariously seizes any chance to attack Trump and they simply can't resist these delicious traps, even though the result is the same every time. "Make outrageous claim, watch the left have a meltdown trying to 'correct' the record, get free press, expose the double standards of the left, get the truth out (which is less outrageous), and watch it backfire on the left as his support grows".

8. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed, but in the case of what appears to be the increasingly unhinged Mr Trump the one (the 'twitter nonsense') - unfortunately - informs the other (the very curious picks and their disturbing histories).

However, in the world he has been elected to, optics matter, - even for a narcissistic billionaire unused to being questioned or called to account - and so does judgment. Restraint is nice, and a little self-control wouldn't go amiss either.

10. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I believe in freedom of speech and expression, but if you hate the country so much then why not just leave? It's a win-win situation. You get to move to a more accommodating environment and we get rid of seditionists.

11. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

She doesn't get a pass for that unconstitutional bill just because she didn't win the presidential election.

12. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Someone Twitter summed this up nicely "We've gone from the really cool older brother to the drunk racist uncle".

13. cube macrumors G5

So, limit free speech unless it is hate speech.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I agree, but I can't help to think this is yet another wasted captured news cycle.

15. SteveJobzniak macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

Notice that Trump said "jail for a year", exactly as Hillary's bill. I am pretty sure Trump just said this to make a fool of the media again, knowing that Hillary did it first. He's always been pulling stunts like this to expose their hypocrisy and double standards. The corrupt media hilariously seizes any chance to attack Trump and they simply can't resist these delicious traps, even though the result is the same every time. "Make outrageous claim, watch the left have a meltdown trying to 'correct' the record, get free press, expose the double standards of the left, get the truth out (which is less outrageous), and watch it backfire on the left as his support grows".

16. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Burning the flag is a settled matter as freedom of speech but that doesn't prohibit me from wishing it could have consequences.

17. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Sigh. Because this is the entire beauty of our country...you can stay and dissent and work to change it.

I never understood the 'don't like it, leave' party.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I agree this is all utter nonsense that my by proxy expose some hypocrisy, but let's be reeeeeaaaaaall ****ing clear here. Regardless of what the DNC corporatists say, Clinton, Obama, Pelosi, etc. have never been anywhere near remotely left. At best they are "left of center" on social issues, but both parties on fiscal issues have been thoroughly corporate for 30+ years here.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So you want to limit Trump, ok I could go for that.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Anyone know the proposed penalty for burning an Old Navy cardigan? I ask because it's the same ****ing thing as burning a Chinese/Indonesian/whatever country garments are made in this year piece of cloth.

How people put their emotional attachments into symbols instead of living breathing people is beyond me.

21. SteveJobzniak macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

@NT1440: Agreed. Both parties have been on the corporate side for as long as I can remember. That's because they're two wings of the same bird; where wall street and big business chooses the candidates by only funding the corrupt candidates with the hundreds of millions of dollars in donations required for a successful nationwide campaign and enough airplay to be seen. That was... until Trump self-funded himself without strings attached, and put his life and business empire on the line, to rescue the people. Let's see what he does in office. If Trump executes 100,000 of his critics, rounds up gays and puts them in concentration camps and executes gays by firing squad, then at least he's equal to Fidel Castro (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...-executions-freedoms-censorship-a7440636.html).

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

There is actually flag etiquette about not wearing the flag. So what happens to all of those flag pins.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

When I read "George Takei" I kind of hoped to see a clip of him referring to Trump as a douchebag (in reference to another of Takei's videos in case you haven't seen it).

I don't know how you fail to grasp this. Clinton is just another neocon. Your example is one of many reasons why people dislike her. Also note that the bill in question was introduced at a time of post 9/11 paranoia, when people bought into that kind of ********.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Pure diversion from all the real issues Trump is having. This is his modus operandi. It's internet slight of hand.

25. SteveJobzniak macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

@thekev: Nah I get it. I noticed that Hilliary was yet another corrupt, corporatist puppet early on. Trump is the Center party we needed. He isn't right or left. He's been both a democrat and a republican, because he's for a centrist common sense approach with less regulations, less nanny state in people's lives, thriving national businesses, and a lot lower taxes (more money in the pocket each month) for the low and middle class. And he wants to impose term limits in congress to drain the decades of corruption that never lets go of their thrones. Refreshing.