Donald Trump...Creepy Uncle

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Oct 9, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What a disgusting and vile man child.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicagar...mp-walked-in?utm_term=.en5AJlERBP#.whlnbOKQ1a

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

its ok cause trump owns them. Now it has not ok. if he is president can he go anywhere he wants??? the **** ball is starting to roll downhill and it is just going to get bigger.

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Even Ben Franklin went to brothels (e.g. Hellfire Club) and had slaves and didn't graduate school and had done lots of other fascinating things so why are so many people complaining only 240+ years later??

Before anyone has a tantrum at me, do some research - fringe and MSM sites often have much to cite. Surprised even me...

Then go get a time machine and berate him since I had nothing to do with his life.

Thank you.

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Why do you keep bringing up Ben Franklin? Is he on this year's ballot?

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Alright, getting in my time machine to berate Ben Franklin because you're off limits. BRB.

7. nfl46 macrumors 604

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, and?

I'm not sure why you insist on bringing up Benjamin Franklin as though that proves a point. (And I write as someone who is something of aran of Benjamin Franklin, whom I view as one of the most attractive of the American Founding Fathers).

Anyway, it proves nothing other than that an extraordinarily progressive man by the standards of the 1770s, and 1780s, had a few blind spots and enjoyed what we term the 'sins of the flesh'.

He also enjoyed his drink (do, please bear in mind your society - uniquely in what is now called the First World passed Prohibition), and frankly indulged his scientific enquiries and his thoroughly engaging secular mindset (would a man with such a frank and appealing scepticism on matters religious quite fns such favour in your judgmental society these days?)

Anyway, in the era when this happened neither women nor (black) slaves had right, and few - even in the newly created political system that became the US - founded on all of these (incomplete) democratic principles - didn't believe that such rights should be extended to women or people of colour who were slaves.

Indeed, outside the newly born US, most white males lacked rights, too, come to think of it.

However, this is not 1780, and I am not going to judge Ben Franklin - whom I genuinely like - by the standards of today. After all, he is not seeking public office today.

But, we are not living in 1770, or 1780. Women and people of colour have been admitted to the human race - in law - and now enjoy basic civic, and human rights.

And, this means that such individuals now can demand that their consent be sought before engaging in sexual relationships. A bit of respect. You know, consent is entirely possible, this is not - or ought not to be - rocket science: Most people consider that it is stuff to do with wooing, winning, a bit of charm, some compliments, candle lit dinners, soft music, shared laughter, mutual enjoyment.

What it is not about is 'grabbing' at someone's private parts and exulting that your position in life means that you can get away with this with impunity.

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

For better or for worse, prostitution is officially legal in one state of the puritanical U.S., and, roughly 8 countries in Europe. I'm not sure how any of this ties together with anything?

And, was also President of the Pennsylvania Abolition Society ca. 1786, and, petitioned Congress in 1790 to abolish slavery. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Abolition_Society

[​IMG]

http://www.archives.gov/legislative/features/franklin/

Perhaps you have a link regarding what you refer to?

Agree 100%. But, even by the standards of today, Franklin was far ahead of today's ALT-RIGHT. And, despite being a celebrity in his own time, is still quite interesting to read about today. Much more interesting, I dare say, than today's celebrities will be in 240+ years.