Donald Trump has a way with words

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
So, the President of the United States decides to host a Halloween photo-op with some children in costumes. Surely, there's no way this could go wrong...

"I cannot believe the media produced such beautiful children," the president said as costumed children filtered into the Oval Office. "How the media did this, I don't know."

Trump later asked one child, “So how does the press treat you?”

In another eyebrow-raising exchange, Trump turned to a small girl dressed as Rey, the female protagonist from 2015's "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," and remarked, “You have no weight problems, that's the good news,” before proceeding to give her a treat.​

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/27/trump-halloween-children-244255

Reactions: stylinexpat

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Actually, I'm not one of the Russian Collusion fanboys. My problem has always been that Trump is an *******, not that he has any number of conspiracy theories swirling around him (which is, of course, another of his problems).
You realize these were the journalists kids right? They treat him like **** so he's commenting on how such angry people could produce sweet kids.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Insult ? He said they’re beautiful!
Nah, you know I respect you but this is a bit stretching an issue where none exists.
I suppose I get twitchy whenever anyone allows children near Trump. ;) I'm fairly certain that he actually means well when he implies that their parents are deficient or that they need to keep an eye on their weight (should they happen to be female); but yeah, the guy says some pretty foul things whenever he opens his mouth...

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I suppose I get twitchy whenever anyone allows children near Trump. ;) I'm fairly certain that he actually means well when he implies that their parents are deficient or that they need to keep an eye on their weight (should they happen to be female); but yeah, the guy says some pretty foul things whenever he opens his mouth...
Rule #1 in politics: keep your children as far as possible from politicians. There’s no vaccine against the effects of close proximity.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
So, the President of the United States decides to host a Halloween photo-op with some children in costumes. Surely, there's no way this could go wrong...

"I cannot believe the media produced such beautiful children," the president said as costumed children filtered into the Oval Office. "How the media did this, I don't know."
The trick-or-treat event for children of the press corps was just another attempt to distract journalists from assorted other events of the week just passed. And it's all trick, in fact: no matter how it's reported, the journos either look like ingrates or else like lapdogs...

A more impressive example of Trump's "way with words" is the latest of the FCC's moves under his bidding: a repeal of the "main studio rule" which used to require that a physical presence be maintained by a corporation with a broadcast license for a given area.

Just in case you still thought the FCC was on the side of the consumer of information, which info we have blithely insisted for about 30 years now “wants to be free…” let the Trump administration’s construction of that agency make it perfectly clear that the FCC is now actually on the side of the One True Word.

And the source of the One True Word? Well, if not as issued from the White House, then at least from one of the few and now legitimately centralized members of the USA’s Communications Oligarchy. Where any of them actually gets the One True Word from is still a good question but it's not one the spokesmen for the oligarchs have to answer in detail any more. The correct answer is now simply “from corporate headquarters, of course.”

from Mike Capuana’s Behind the Curtain, one of the items added to the list this week:

#180. On October 24, 2017 the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) voted to repeal the “main studio rule” which required radio and television owners to have a physical presence in the geographic areas that their broadcast licenses covered.
Eliminating the “main studio rule” will most certainly diminish local voices. News coverage can now originate from ownership’s headquarters, where a national news broadcast could replace local news. This increases the likelihood that viewers and listeners will be subject to a broad national message rather than informed local and regional coverage.​

And aside from that, one should be aware that the idea of information being free or being allowed to flow freely over the internet is still not as popular in the Communications Oligarchy as is the idea of letting people with big bucks pay more for faster access to content delivery.

But keep thinking the USA supports free speech, if you dare. I'd like to think the journalists whose kids Trump entertained this afternoon do know better. They're making a valiant effort but sometimes it must feel like trying to sail paper boats upstream.

Trump's way with words is about making himself and his corporate cronies the only reliable (and "free") source of information. The FCC is only the latest agency to be co-opted from its mission to serve the public into serving oligarchies instead. So much for draining the swamp.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
You realize these were the journalists kids right? They treat him like **** so he's commenting on how such angry people could produce sweet kids.
Dude. You sound like my five year old (again). "Why are you always mad at me????" "Well, maybe it's because you, yet again, talked back to your mom. It's not that I want to get mad at you...it's because you earned it."

Trump has the emotional range of my five year old. "They're just so mean to me for reporting on what I actually say and do! Waaahhhh!" How often did you see Obama tweeting and complaining during the non-stop scandals invented by Republicans, not the least of which was questioning his citizenship and right to be President? That's right...almost never. Because he's not a petulant, childish, man-baby.

FatherJack1980

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2015
What a massive imbecile. Telling the kids practically "Hey kids, your parents are bad people! Bad hombres! They are mean to me! And such, such horrible people! Horrible people!"

But hey, at least Donald "Sniffles" Trump seemed coherent enough - unlike here:

Reactions: Scepticalscribe