Donald Trump Is an Arsonist Pretending to Be a Fireman

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

This article is spot on. And it lays out all the time Trump behaved the exact opposite of what he called for in his speech on Monday.

https://thebulwark.com/donald-trump-is-an-arsonist-pretending-to-be-a-fireman/
    <snip>There is a sense in which every politician is a hypocrite and hypocrisy is valued because it is the tribute vice pays to virtue.

But this is different. Trump has deliberately created the world in which we now live. At every turn, his critics have warned that he was treading in dangerous territory.

Why, specifically, did Trump alarm his critics?

Because he did not condemn racism and white nationalism.

Because he was polluting social media and importing the toxic elements of the internet into mainstream politics.

Because he ignored the inherent dignity and worth of human life.

And because he preached divisiveness and anger, rather than unity and love.

Now maybe Donald Trump has suddenly changed his mind about all of this. Maybe he will repent and mend his ways.

I would not bet the milk money on that.

Instead, what we have here is an arsonist who has set our country on fire. And he’s standing around in the crowd with the rest of us, watching the blaze, and he’s lecturing us like he’s one of the firemen.</snip>

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

he did. multiple times.

Short memory here. See what happened to Sarah Palin and other people. This is not Trump's creation.

This is dumb.

Same did Obama, and HRC. And same are doing leftists now. Nothing new.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You seem to have a lot of hate lately! I starting to worry about you!

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

No but Trump is making it worse. He’s just pouring gasoline on the situation every time he picks up his phone or gets on the podium at a rally. The problem is under Trump the Right has decided to become what it abhors. And voters don’t like it. In 2018 Democrats got over 9 million more votes than Republicans. Texas is in play in 2020. 4 Republican Congressmen from Texas are retiring. Texas is a very suburban state and the suburbs are trending away from Trump. If Trump loses Texas it doesn’t matter what he does in the Midwest, he’s not getting re-elected. And if he loses Texas he’s most likely losing Arizona too.

5. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Oh he condemned racism and white nationalism multiple times??? What does that matter when he goes back to his talking points when he's safe at his rallies. Yeah, that sure is change. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

the media is making it worse, to the point they change headlines
    https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ne-about-trump-speech-after-backlash.2192703/

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You never been to NYC have you? Trump is from NYC area and they all talk about that and are raised to hit back when criticized!

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Always agreed with this, however I simply think that in 2016 he was able to read how the new political system works. I think he read - or at least had someone tell him - what Kissinger wrote in his 2014 book World Order in the chapter about social media. Read it and you'll see a description of what we observed from 2016 onwards.

That's why I don't like modern politics.

This is true for both parties in my opinion.

Nah, TX isn't in play. Trump will win easily here. Might lose one or two house seats however.

9. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Please... just keep in mind that Trump is the Head Conman Bull ****er. He is morally rudderless. His guiding principle is saying whatever he thinks benefits him at the moment. Historically he tempers everything he says about racists and Russians because he see benefit in those corners.

10. BoxerGT2.5, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's only Trump, right? I hate both sides at this point, but MassacreMitch is/was trending and people showed up to the mans house and one woman is screaming "stab the mother ****er". This is a lady who had photos of her on social media pop up taken with her and Warren. But it's only the stuff on the right that incites violence.

An MSNBC host literally stated on air that Trump wants to exterminate latino's. I'm not even joking. The left is going full steam ahead with their Nazi references, which also has the side effect of being deeply offensive to Jewish people.

11. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

I don’t want to overreact about Texas but I think Republicans need to take it more seriously. I guarantee you if he wins it, it will be with a smaller margin than 2016. Which is why he could win the electoral college but lose the popular vote by even more than he did in 2016. If that happens, I really do fear for the country.

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

There's a great deal of confusion about Trump's role, and incitement.

If Politician A says, "I disagree with this man because he's an *******," and some nutbag decides the solution is stabbing him to death, Politician A is not responsible.

If Politician B says, "These people are coming to kill you and everyone you love," and some nutbag decides the solution is shooting some of those people, Politician B is responsible. Especially if that politician uses every avenue available to express this idea, and even joshes about shooting people during a Florida rally.

We cannot say that Scorsese is responsible for getting Reagan shot, even though he created Travis Bickle the character that Hinckley identified with when he attempted to kill Reagan.

But, we can say that Charles Manson is responsible for a series of murders by his cult followers.

Blaming Warren is like blaming the Beatles for "Helter Skelter's" role in Manson's mania.

That said, the MSNBC host's comments are ridiculous—though I suspect that's not actually what that person literally said.

As for Nazi references and Jewish people, suffice it to say that Jews are split on this issue, with some arguing that it's useful to use Nazi analogies to describe the Trump administration's moves—including "concentration camps"—while others really want all those terms to be inextricably linked to WWII.

My point on the "concentration camp" issue is fine, call them McDonald's Happy Meals, the situation on the border is deeply messed up and we're falling in all sorts of ways by trapping people in ugly conditions, leading to preventable deaths of both adults and children.

And, okay, you don't like Nazi, fine, how about fascists? Xenophobes? Blackshirts? Jingoistic jackboots? Pick a useful term, and let's discuss how Trump's vicious jingoism operates.

But, let's not kid ourselves, the president is awful.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

I grew up in nyc. Trump is not what NYC and its residents are about. In fact he is loathed on NYC. We have known for decades what a con man he is.

14. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I sorry all you guys think we are all Hicks for living upstate so you don’t count in my book!;)

15. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Did any politician say an entire group of people are coming to kill anyone? Lets not kid ourselves into thinking that if the El Paso shooter didn't have a manifesto, then the media would have dug into his social media and attributed him being a Trump supporter as enough to pin this on Trump. Much like the crack pot down in Florida with the van sending bombs in the mail. If the standard is a crime is committed and then back fill and tie motive to it using their politics, then apply it across the board. To Sanders, to Warren, to Obama, etc. I for one think it's a BS standard, but then again simply believe everyone should play by the same rules.

As far as whats going down on the border, it is a mess. The facilities are over run and we have no where to put people. Releasing them into the interior shouldn't be an option. The same people who have been screaming about concentration camps, voted against providing more funding to help the issue. So in the end they're not really interested in helping these people apparently. There's always the Waldorf in Midtown, or AOC's district.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sarah Palin is as dumb as a rock though.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

You said NYC not NY. I love upstate NY

18. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Man what decade are you from?

19. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Oh, the left went crazy when suggestions to bus them to sanctuary cities.

20. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Who said "hicks"? Hmmm, we don't count but you'll take downstate money right?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 7, 2019 ---
    Because it was a pointless act that would have eaten up money and logistics just to "stick it to the libs". Many of those cities welcomed them, including mine. But it would need to be done in an organized manner. You can't just load them into a dump truck.

21. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

No in NYS most Upstate taxes go down State if you bother to look at the State tax code!

22. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Just moving the goalposts when we show many Democrats/Left do the same thing. Now it's, Trump is worse.

It has to be a call to action, like Maxine Waters:

23. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

I don't now the code (must be volumes of text).

https://www.politifact.com/new-york...nstate-ny-residents-contribute-more-income-t/

The lead:
    More than two-thirds of income tax collected by New York state comes from downstate residents, the state’s budget chief said.

"The reality is that 70 percent of the income tax that the state collects happens to come from Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk and New York City," state Budget Director Robert Mujica said in a radio interview.

It makes sense since we have have a large population.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Look I agree Sarah Palin would have taken less criticism if she was a man. She was still pretty dumb though.