Donald Trump is Terrified of "Fake News"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Jan 12, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Donald Trump won the presidential election for a variety of reasons. He was facing an unpopular opponent; he promised to kick the elites out of government; he presented himself as a man of the people. But one constant throughout his campaign, a tactic he returned to over and over again, was the use of unsubstantiated rumors about his opponents to smear their reputations. In short, Trump was the king of "fake news".

As such, he intuitively understands just how powerful a tool it can be. Which is probably why he has concentrated so much of his public statements on the issue of "fake news". It was his top subject in the press conference just held, and over the last few days, he's dumped out a series of tweets on the subject:

"FAKE NEWS - A TOTAL POLITICAL WITCH HUNT!"

"'BuzzFeed Runs Unverifiable Trump-Russia Claims' #FakeNews"

"Russia just said the unverified report paid for by political opponents is "A COMPLETE AND TOTAL FABRICATION, UTTER NONSENSE." Very unfair!"

"Russia has never tried to use leverage over me. I HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH RUSSIA - NO DEALS, NO LOANS, NO NOTHING!"

"I win an election easily, a great "movement" is verified, and crooked opponents try to belittle our victory with FAKE NEWS. A sorry state!"

"Intelligence agencies should never have allowed this fake news to "leak" into the public. One last shot at me.Are we living in Nazi Germany?"

"We had a great News Conference at Trump Tower today. A couple of FAKE NEWS organizations were there but the people truly get what's going on"

"James Clapper called me yesterday to denounce the false and fictitious report that was illegally circulated. Made up, phony facts.Too bad!"

".@CNN is in a total meltdown with their FAKE NEWS because their ratings are tanking since election and their credibility will soon be gone!"

This wasn't a single twitterstorm, either. These messages started appearing two days ago, and kept coming every few hours or so all the way up to the last one less than an hour ago. In short, Trump thinks about "fake news" day and night; it is the most important subject on his mind, by far...

2. samcraig macrumors P6

He's the master of fake news.

Like I keep saying - whether I agree with the journalistic integrity of Buzzfeed, etc - this is Karma slapping Trump in the face for him trying to delegitimize Obama with the birther movement. And like a typical bully and hypocrite - he's too blind to see it and thinks HE is being victimized.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The purveyors of fake news are apoplectic that they no longer call the shots at presidential news conferences. I hope Trump uses every opportunity to belittle, humiliate, shame, and embarrass these arrogant fools. In fact, he should move the MSM big shots to the back rows and permit reporters from smaller cities to sit in the front. Maybe even give some college journalism students an opportunity to sit in the front ands ask questions.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Ironic and hypocritical since Trump is the king of fake news and lies. Likewise, I hope Americans, those in power and the press do their best to humiliate him right back. Talk about arrogant.

Trump cannot escape criticism. Grab some popcorn

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Perhaps his is; however, the American people decided he wasn't the worst liar running for President in 2016.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

You need to get over Hillary not winning. Most of us those that actually voted for her are. We all have Trump as President. It's time to turn your energy over to him and his Presidency. Why waste time on Hillary.

But keep in mind that Trump won - and legitimately - but let's not pretend the majority of America voted for him. Most didn't. And I'm not even talking about Hillary V Trump.

Also - Hillary didn't lose because she lied. So your "arguments" are not even valid.

7. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Whatever lying Clinton may have done, she was certainly not a purveyor of "fake news". All the wacky conspiracy theories were coming out of Trump's mouth, not hers. Which is why Trump is so deathly afraid of wacky conspiracy theories.

If someone had made up this Russia story and tied it to Clinton, she would surely have just laughed it off and gone on to the next subject. Real politicians have better things to do than to spend all their time thinking about fake news.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Election was won over 60 days ago. Trump won and now must govern.

"Worst liar" these days is almost like "worst pizza". There's another one down the road. This is the one we elected, so until he goes out of biz, we're stuck with him.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Well exactly this. During the election - all the crazy conspiracy theory stories were about Hillary. There wasn't a need for fake news on Donald - all he had to do was open his mouth and whatever he said became something easy to throw back at him. So easily triggered. Fragile ego.

Trump brought Clinton's accusers to the debate and sat them in front - it had ZERO affect on Hillary's debate performance.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

yes thats ow a president should act a sure sign of maturity. Now can the news do that to Donald when he acts like a child?

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Of course, and she would have also had CNN et al attacking the "misogynistic deplorables" for spreading a fake news story about Hillary receiving golden showers from Russian hookers. They certainly wouldn't have treated it as a serious news story like they did this week.

12. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

EPIC. thanks for that

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah. Watch the birdie... don't watch confirmation hearings. Watch the twitter feed and watch the presser. Don't watch the confirmation hearings and don't start phoning Senators for God's sake just think about fake news fake news fake news. And for real news, look here, we have file folders of businesses going away from the conflict of interests problem right over to my sons who will do TrumpEmpire right until I'm outta here. Next question!

Does he get it that when you try to derail the press from something, it's like showing the bloodhound a T-shirt from the laundry hamper? He's worse than Clinton about aversion to press inquiries, and she's been vetted on stuff for 40 years. The press has a whole new vast hunting ground with Trump. He should delegate the parrying on that to his Press Secretary, and try to focus on how the heck he's going to keep his base from going down to DC with pitchforks out for Goldman Sachs (and RExxon Tillerson lol) two days after inauguration. The first day after inauguration is already permitted out to a women's march, all other peasants have to get in line...

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If the CIA was including the story in their presidential briefings and CNN didn't cover it I'd be worried.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

The funny/sad thing is? The notion of Hillary involved in golden showers would be immediately thought of as incredulous. However it's very easy to imagine Trump in that scenario because... Trump.

16. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Oh, come on. Everyone is saying these rumors are at best "unsubstantiated", and most likely fake.

There is only one person right now who is treating these rumors as deadly serious: Donald Trump. He's worrying about them day and night. Tweeting about them day and night. He can't stop thinking about them...

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Someone's head is probably rolling "I thought you took care of those videos and witnesses!!!!"

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

And spreading at a fantastic rate.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I reckon it's about 50:50. But to be honest I don't really care.

20. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

[​IMG]

Posters here on this site say it doesn't matter if the documents are correct or not, that no matter what anytime Russia is mentioned that Trump will look compromised.

21. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Actually, I thought folks would mostly laugh at this fairly obvious conspiracy theory. I mean, "golden showers"???

But yeah, now that Trump himself has spent days trying to contradict the story, both in his press conference and in a constant stream of twitter messages, you've gotta wonder: why does he care so much?

Trump is a master of controlling the news cycle. He always finds a way to get his message out every single day. Why does he want the message to be about this conspiracy theory? Just what is he scared of? Why spend so much of his time talking about his ties with Russia, and with fictitious erotic scandals?

In the end, the more we associate the name Trump with "golden showers", the worse it gets for Trump. I don't understand why he needs to keep repeating the story to us.

22. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Speaking of spreading FAKE news:
    [​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2017 ---
    An extremely credible source tells me he is the biggest, most Orange Snowflake of all.

23. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

My theory? Slanderous accusations such as these, with news agencies and the public taking them seriously its an attack on his legitimacy as POTUS. Which I believe was the goal all along.