Donald Trump Loses Support From Some Latino Backers After Arizona Speech

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

While some think Trump gave a great speech that was just one of many GAME OVER moments for Hillary, it seems that only his hard core backers loved it and others are jumping ship. He is now softening his stance on immigration. Another flip flop on an issue he already flipped and flopped on a few times already.

"Republican nominee Donald Trump has lost some support from Latino backers after refusing to renege on his immigration stance, including his pledge to deport illegal immigrants, according to a Reuters report Thursday."

http://jpupdates.com/2016/09/01/don...rom-some-latino-backers-after-arizona-speech/

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

cant imagine why the first hour he will deport millions. he was full of anger I think the Mexico trip pissed him off.

3. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Might have had something to do with all those pinatas.

[​IMG]

4. zin Suspended

There is no reason why people who entered illegally should be given the right to become citizens. It is downright unfair on the thousands (if not millions) of people waiting in line. There is a backlog stretching over 10 years for some classes of immigrants.

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

You do know thats how America started right?

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

More commentary from overseas on American politics. Are you one of the ones waiting in line?

7. zin Suspended

Do you have anything to add on the discussion, or just more pointless jabs?

My position applies to every country, not just the United States.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I agree that those who played by the rules should become citizens before those who broke the rules - there should be no skipping the line.

That said, citizenship isn't a scarce resource. It's artificially limited. There is no reason the entire backlog can't be cleared in a very little time.

Also, just because someone entered the country illegally does not necessarily mean that person wants to be a citizen. Maybe they just want to be a resident. It's inhumane, a literal atrocity, to send someone back to where they do not want to be.

I don't think anyone has suggested granting all illegal immigrants citizenship. I have heard of systems to give illegal immigrants a pathway to citizenship, which allows them to correct their wrongs and get in line with the rest of the law-abiding immigrants; during which time they can become resident contributing members of society.

Or we can round them all up ... and ... do something else with them I guess?

9. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Probably because they want to put Mexico's flag over ours and he won't let them.

(state laws can determine legality...)

http://www.ktvn.com/story/7172056/mexican-flag-above-us-flag-not-illegal

etc

It may be just a representation, but several years ago an immigrant* was putting the Mexican flag over the US. I'll try to find the article later, it was during the Bush II era. But he hated Mexico so much that he comes to the US... just to put up the Mexican flag? Seems pointless to do, given what these flags purportedly represent... or was he on his way to Canada but stayed in California or wherever it was he did his macho deed...

* an illegal immigrant, for the record, not one who did the paperwork and other means legally - the difference is huge
    --- Post Merged, Sep 1, 2016 ---
    Agreed for most points. But don't forget, artificial constraints are everywhere, including all countries**, and in still for many professions including a couple of ironic ones. It's like problems are buried and we label symptoms as problems. Whatever that means.

** the USA can definitely take the first step but if other countries don't act the same or for the same noble reasons, then maybe the USA should re-think concepts and strategies?

10. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

I believe that @steve knight actually has the ability to be more objective than either me or you, @MadeTheSwitch. The man doesn't even live here. He can probably speak more candidly than either of us. I value what overseas members of this forum have to say.

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It was a legitimate question. For months I have asked you why you are so wrapped up in another countries politics. Never really have gotten an answer on that. It's odd. There must be something more going on that you have never admitted to. And that's fine. But still, it seems like all this is personal to you, so I have to wonder why. Hence the question if you are one of the ones in line. It would make sense if you were.

12. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

13. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

You do know that there was more to it than that, right?

14. zin Suspended

I did give you an answer, I remember typing it. American politics is very interesting and I follow all world affairs.

To answer your other question, the answer is no, I have not applied to become a U.S. citizen. You don't have to be in the line to know that citizenship for illegal immigrants is unfair.

15. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

People getting so wind up over one piece of cloth's position compared to another need to be checked into a mental institution.

16. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

That speech was a disaster for him, the polls have already stopped narrowing and are beginning to go back the other way.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Not directed at Steve Knight. Although in general I do wonder why people from other countries obsess over another countries internal politics that they literally can have no bearing on. I don't worry about Canada's elections, or their immigration situation. Or the U.K's. Or Holland's. Or Germany's. Or Japan's. Etc. etc. To me it's like peering in a neighbors window. You have no control over your neighbors life, but you peer in on them and issue "helpful" unsolicited advice to them anyway. Just as that neighbor wouldn't be too receptive to that, neither am I.

But beyond that, I just don't even understand it. My own country's politics keep me busy enough and give me more than enough to worry about. There isn't any time left to obsess over another's. I do have to wonder how active they are in their own country's matters. Because again, there just isn't enough time in the day to deal with all that. So something has to give somewhere.
    This is what I don't understand about Trump. He is constantly stepping on his own message. He had a relatively good morning yesterday, but by the evening had trashed it all and reinforced the image that he is all over the place. Today he was back to his softening stance.

It's like split personality disorder. Being a TV guy, maybe he thinks this is some sort of programming. Softer by day when the ladies and kiddies might be home, harder, edgier more PG programming at night? I don't know. It's the only thing I can think of. He's just all over the place on this issue and it just doesn't make him look like a stable leader at all.

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

We pay for our neighbor's fence, we pay for our neighbor's burglar alarm system, we pay for our neighbor's 9mm Glock in the nightstand, and our brother and sister live in the neighbor's house protecting them from their neighbors. Thusly, we have a vested interest in what our neighbor is doing. If our neighbor doesn't like it, they should stop freeloading.

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

???? Sounds like some sort of family issue to me and not the subject of my post.

But really, even if family you pay for your neighbors gun? Why?

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Replace "neighbor" with "NATO" and you'll understand that other countries internal business is our business.

Geez, way to ruin my simile. :(

21. chown33 macrumors 604

I wonder what the optimal spacing of those statues along the US-Mexico border would be to repel the alien invaders.

Also add a plaque to each statue, "El Nuevo Coloso", with the closing line "I drop my pants beside the closed door".

22. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

Why are you thinking so hard. Trump can't even think on his own. You'll only hurt yourself trying to understand him since he doesn't understand himself

23. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

True. I should give up trying to understand him. But he's so bizarre that I can't help ponder it. LOL
    Ah...I'm sorry I didn't understand your analogy before. And you do make a very good point with it.

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yes, nice going, Donald... He's got himself into a place now where no matter how he speaks on immigration, he alienates someone anew, either Mexicans or Mexican-Americans, or people from his core supporters who think now he might be backtracking on earlier tough-sounding immigration policy, or else the potential voters Conway & Bannon have meant Trump to pick up, i.e. Republcans who were put off by Trump's crude take on immigration as delivered during the primaries.

There's a delayed effect sometimes; people who withdraw support after hearing a policy speech and then speak out about it in the days following. Some of that happening w/ conservative Latinos who previously supported Trump.

... con los manos pequeños mios... (with my little hands)

Really Trump has lit too many fires on immigration. If by his Mexico drop-in, he intended some judicious backburning to keep from losing any more core voters, he misjudged the wind direction badly and forgot about the rest of the electorate standing like so much tinder for the next big fire. People focused on any aspect of that issue now have to wonder where does he really stand. He should just stay on something like job growth, a safer topic for attracting wavering Republicans. If he manages not to sound like a Democrat about that, then he might at least salvage some down ballot races for the GOP.

Meanwhile Bannon & Conway must be sending gofers out for anti-vertigo medications. How do they manage a candidate who dares to refashion publicly what went down in a private meeting when the other guy is free to tweet back a contradiction? Winner: the media.