Donald Trump: No More Mister Nice Guy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Jul 30, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Speaking in Colorado, in his first public appearance since rival Hillary Clinton accepted the Democratic nomination, Trump said:

If the past ten months have shown us the "nice side" of Donald Trump - I'll admit I'm curious to know what his darker, meaner side looks like.

I'll just leave you with this...

2. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

3. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

The debates will really start to look good. Backtracking Bernie was admittedly one thing (as later events would lend some cred to), ducking out of the official ones wouldn't be as good. He'll be in for at least the first one, but based on speculation anything is possible...

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Saying "Crooked Hillary" 1,000 times in every interview and speech was nice?

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

6. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

And spot on

Good guys finish last and have conventions stolen from them

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

For trump it is.

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

As with all things that Mike Pence says, Trump has one answer....

image.gif
    --- Post Merged, Jul 30, 2016 ---
    A. Nothing was stolen.
    B. You don't even think Bernie is a good guy anymore

9. Robisan macrumors 6502

Blow harder little man. She's still going to ridicule you, belittle you and bait you as the thin-skinned little coward you are.

10. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

A. The election
    B. He's a class a moron who sold out

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

After the campaign, Donald and Hillary will be cool again. Smear campaigns for now. Tennis match of words and lies. Then expect a firestorm from the media and critics months after inauguration that nothing has changed...

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So then a good guy didn't finish last, right? Can't be both ways. Either he is or he isn't.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 30, 2016 ---
    She'll be at his next wedding for sure! :D

13. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

He pretended to be one

14. IronWaffle, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016

IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

When he said, "I'm taking the gloves off" I had a pretty good sense (I think) of what that meant and at whom it'd be directed at (the usual targets plus "Little Michael Bloomberg" and others).

I do my best to keep a level head, trying to focus on the issues, trying to remain conscious of my biases (we all have them), and trying keep the pathetic fallacies, ad hominems, and name-calling in perspective. I'm pretty good at recognizing and not getting too caught up in the pathos that are tools-of-the-trade in politics.

But today, at least for a little while, I couldn't contain my frustration when reading how Mr. Trump responded Khizr and Ghazala Khan, who appeared at the DNC and have been discussed (too much) in the media in the days since. I fully understand that invoking such innately personal experiences in the political arena opens one up for all shades of response. Their grief is no more or no less valid than Patricia Smith, the mother of Sean Smith (whose son was killed in Benghazi) who spoke passionately at the RNC convention. I have no room in my mind or my heart to criticize any of them or where their grief has taken them. [if you've made it this far, thanks for your patience with my tl;dr post]

While Mrs. Clinton mishandled Sean Smith in private -- and that should not be discounted -- she has been mindful not to disparage Patricia Smith publicly. Yes, I can see how that is unsatisfying and maybe dodging but it also shows a level of decorum. (Please, I'm trying to speak here as a human being, not a partisan; I understand the criticisms; I won't engage in arguments.)

I have been curious how Mr. Trump would handle this situation since, while not parallel can offer an indication of how he can handle criticism from those who have no skin in the game but are not in his camp. I was not shocked but I was dismayed at his response (linked above and excerpted below) because it reinforces my sense of his inability to navigate the emotional complexities of the world without putting his own interests front and center. I'm not naive; I know that even when a politician responds to this kind of scenario with greater empathy they have still done the political calculus and that must be factored into perceptions of sincerity. But I was genuinely appalled by this:

He starts off decently enough but within a few short breaths (the video is here) he implies that his wife may have been silent for, let's say, "cultural reasons." He does it slyly, I suppose, but it's there and it undercuts any moment of empathy, especially when he repeats the idea unprompted, followed by assigning the observation, as he often does, to nebulous "other people." It's an inelegant way of ducking ownership. I've noticed that Melania hasn't spoken much, aside from a few controlled settings. Should we assume it is because she is being silently deferential to "her man"? No. Is it a possible reading? I'm sure plenty of people have said that.

For the record, and from the same "lamestream" media article linked above, Mrs. Khan spoke out the next day in an interview with Lawrence O'Donnell. Yes, that's MSNBC. I checked with Fox, hoping there might be at least cursory coverage but there wasn't. I tried, as always, not to stick with sources on one side of the spectrum. Here is what she said:

Is it really so hard for Mr. Trump to parcel out a sustained moment of humanity without undercutting it? If you watch the George Stephanopoulos interview (I can't embed it) he doesn't so much as acknowledge their sacrifice as being different than his sacrifice of... making thousands... tens of thousands of jobs, and so on.

What does it say of the fact that any leader will necessarily make decisions that indirectly (and sometimes directly) ruin lives and cause deaths? That's simply unavoidable. I wasn't a big fan of George W. Bush's but there was no denying the toll it took on him to visit hospitalized soldiers and the families of dead soldiers. Does Mr. Trump have the capacity to -- at least on the surface -- set aside his own concerns when the situation calls for it? To at least remain silently dignified? T'is better to be silent and thought a [...], then to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

[Added note: Pardon any grammatical, syntactical or other issues. This is an unedited draft.]

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Forgive me for not quoting more of your post, but it was really well said and I agree with so much of it. The best thing Trump could have done was acknowledge the parents grief and sacrifice, and not to respond to it specifically. But Donald just can't do that.

I wonder whether he believed he'd been operating with gloves on these past weeks. He probably did. He probably felt that he's been bending over backwards, trying to be stately and presidential, when all I've seen is the same crass, immature and dysfunctional personality he's always been.

But Trump simply could not pivot away from the toxic behavior that has long marred his campaign. And now it's not only too late—any change in demeanor would appear false and cynical—but it's increasingly clear clear that he simply can't do it. He is an emotional delinquent, incapable of rising above his psychological deformities even when it's in his best interest to do so. Most politicians are savvy enough to hide or smooth over their worst nature in order to appeal to the people. Trump is so damaged, that he can't even manage that.

16. jerwin macrumors 65816

Open conflict with his VP would bring a fresh, postmodern take on presidential politics.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

18. jerwin macrumors 65816

Are you sure you won't want something stronger?
    [​IMG]

19. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Forget the Xanax, forget the Quaaludes, just bring out the Propofol infusion.

I should probably invest in the cryogenic freezing industry too. If Trumps elected a lot of people might look to go to sleep and wake up 4-8 years later.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

No more Mr. Nice Guy? The Gloves are coming off? Lol, I got a chuckle from Mt. Trump. :p

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Damien-Trump.jpg

22. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

You guys sound like you need some natural relaxants.

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Too much rebound anxiety. I think the goal here is just to not be conscious.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm still stunned at the way Trump insulted the Khan family.

Now, here's a couple who left their own country for a better life in the United States. They loved it so much that Mr. Khan (at least, I don't know about his wife) has a good job here, and his son loved this country enough to enlist in the armed forces and get sent back to the violent part of the world his mom and dad left behind.

The son was a good enough soldier to achieve the rank of Captain at 27, and ultimately, for his country, he sacrificed not only the comforts of home, family and friends, but his very life.

[​IMG]
    Now, this is nothing that Donald Trump can rebut. He couldn't denigrate the Khan parents as non-productive immigrants: Mr. Khan is an attorney. He sure as hell couldn't denigrate the sacrifice of the son.

So he did what was (to him) the next best thing: he resorted to a stereotype.

He goes after the culture, suggesting that Mrs. Khan isn't allowed to speak. Trump doesn't know this for a fact, but why stop there, he blurts it out anyway, doing what he always does, weaseling it with the word maybe. Of course, Mr. Khan has not forbidden his wife to speak -- a right that he in any case cannot take away from her per that little blue book he was holding up.

So, unable to criticize either Mr. or Capt. Khan, he stereotyped the wife, and by extension an entire ethnic group.

Trump is a man who (among his many other faults) has no sense of shame. I supposed we should be grateful he didn't take it one step further and insult Capt. Khan. "Well, he never should've stepped toward that vehicle. It's a shame, but it was a stupid thing to do."

The only thing I can think of that Trump's said that is even slimier than this is his comment about John McCain "not being a war hero". Trump "doesn't like people who get captured." I wonder how he feels about people who get killed.

25. MadeTheSwitch, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2016

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah, but the people who do that would still wake up to whatever damage and mayhem he has caused while they were sleeping. So I suggest an alternative. Instead, right after the inauguration, freeze Trump for eight years, wake him up just before he needs to handoff to another President, tell him he did a great job, but the fact that he can't remember is worrisome and he will need treatment in a medical facility. That ought to buy even more time. Hide him away like a crazy uncle. :D