Donald Trump Picks Reince Priebus as Chief of Staff

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

2. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

With this and his earlier pick of Pence I think he's picking good people that can build bridges back to the republican establishment.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Which sounds counter to his claim of "draining the swamp."

Or was that just another unrealistic promise that he hung his candidacy on but had no intention of keeping?

Yes. Yes it was.

4. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

So you thought he'd have his entire staff be people from outside of politics? Just not realistic.

5. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

They're just angry and need something to complain about.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Like most of his promises apparently.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 13, 2016 ---
    Yeah. We had to dig real hard for this one.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, @citizenzen, my friend, you are missing the point.

It is that through this Looking Glass Darkly there are two perspectives: Those of the individuals who support Mr Trump, and those some who have had - shall we say - misgivings about much to do with the man, from his deplorable taste (that ghastly, garish, backdrop - pure bling bling - immediately comes to mind in the photograph that was published of Mr Trump and Mr Farage), to how he campaigned, what he said he stood for, the people he hung out with, and so on.

The term used to describe this is "Double Standard".

8. nrvna76 macrumors 6502a

I really don't get this. People hated him for said promises. He said them because it would get his base, now they are becoming closer to compromise. I understood this would happen, hoped it would happen. Now that he's softening his stances the left takes every chance to say broken promise.. makes no sense. Check Obamas campaign promises, most are some sort of compromise.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, my friend, - given the tone of the posts made by some who supported Mr Trump - I think this - er, accusation - is considerably more applicable to that end of the spectrum.

10. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

As someone who is more aligned with democrats but not really aligned either way, there has been a lot of whining before and after from both sides.

11. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Oh no, the rubber and glue argument.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Did Obama make those compromises less than a week after the election, before there was a chance to organize one's administration, set an agenda and test it against the will of the Senate and House? Normally compromise comes about through the necessity of accommodating opposing forces in Washington. Trump capitulated over nothing ... showing that the positions he championed were just meaningless, empty promises to energize his electorate that he never really believed in himself.

He put international relationships at risk over something he never intended to follow through on. That is an insane way to run any campaign. And it's a frightening way to think that's how he'd run the country.

13. Scepticalscribe, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I don't know.

You guys won.

How about, - all this silly sunshine stuff that, when I was a student - used to drive me nuts about the USA (this 'have a nice day' stuff, that I thought sappy, soppy, and seriously insincere) be happy without - and I know this seems to present an insuperable challenge - being nasty about it?

But, somehow you cannot seem to take pleasure in that without seeking to belittle others, (yes, those others, that is, those who lost) and adopt a - frankly - wholly unpleasant and rather unseemly (and quite discourteous) tone that - perhaps I am in error when viewing this from Across The Pond - that seem to contain little except pure bile and undigested venom.

But hey, you won. Be nice about it. You know, magnanimity in victory and all that.

But no, I think I am seeing a distinct double standard here.

Let us recalibrate our lenses somewhat: If - in an alternative universe - Chelsea Clinton (who had been attacked in quite vicious personal terms on these very threads) had been appointed to a position in a transition team, and (let's underline this so that those who are a little intellectually challenged and think that double standards apply to - say, chocolates - or hamburgers rather than ethics) still held a senior position in the family business, (Clinton Foundation, or Trump Stuff), I imagine that we would hear the screams and squeals of shrill outrage echoing and reverberating across the oceans and continental landmasses of the world.

I am not even arguing that you hold Mr Trump to account for his impossible (and outrageous) promises, or his hate-filled, wild and vicious rhetoric; but - on the basic ethical matter of a core conflict of interest - I do think that those who supported him should point out that it is unconscionable and unethical to simultaneously hold positions in a family enterprise and play a role in a transition team advising the individual in question on how to put a cabinet and a programme for government together..

14. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

You might be forgetting all the democrats calling trump supporters idiots, morons, and what have you and literally assaulting them on the streets.

If you want to talk about "don't rub it in" then stop being a sore loser.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No.

I am merely drawing attention to what I consider to be an egregious example of a double standard.

16. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

And I'm drawing attention to the double standard from the other side.

17. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Even your own words describing Trump shows you cannot be bias, how can you make a statement like this?

18. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You're ignoring the fact that he sold himself as being antiestablishment.

19. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

As a supporter, I do not feel that way, nor does anyone I know that also supported him. These are just talking points for the people who are upset that he won.

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Is it acceptable for anyone to have appointed their children to simultaneous positions both as part of a presidential transition team, and - still - holding senior positions running a family business empire?

Please explain to me how this cannot be anything other than a massive conflict of interest - and a massive ethical issue.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

o_O Dude. Those were campaign promises meant to convince people to vote for him.

Nice spin though.

I'll give points for creativity and audaciousness.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Presumably the thinking is that he is not President yet, and that by the time he does take the oath, the Transition will have ceased to be. Ergo, no conflict.

23. Scepticalscribe, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I daresay.

Let us simply say I think I might have needed robust, comfortably furry, earplugs - given that I am Across The Pond from what is Taking Place Over There - with a full ocean between us - to stifle the outraged decibel shredding screams from The Usual Suspects - had Secretary Clinton won the election and pulled a similar stunt by appointing Chelsea Clinton to a number of similarly attired two-hatted positions (which - for the record - I would have also found to have been an appalling lapse in judgment and an egregious conflict of interest).

24. samcraig macrumors P6

It was a broken metaphor anyway. If you drain a swamp - you still have a swamp.

25. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

Despite what some bloviating windbags may say, there is nothing unusual going on.