Donald Trump publishes ethics reforms plan

zin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
DONALD J. TRUMP’S FIVE-POINT PLAN FOR ETHICS REFORM

“It’s Time To Drain The Swamp In Washington, D.C. That’s Why I’m Proposing A Package Of Ethics Reforms To Make Our Government Honest Once Again.” - Donald J. Trump

First:
I am going to re-institute a 5-year ban on all executive branch officials lobbying the government for 5 years after they leave government service. I am going to ask Congress to pass this ban into law so that it cannot be lifted by executive order.

Second: I am going to ask Congress to institute its own 5-year ban on lobbying by former members of Congress and their staffs.

Third: I am going to expand the definition of lobbyist so we close all the loopholes that former government officials use by labeling themselves consultants and advisors when we all know they are lobbyists.

Fourth: I am going to issue a lifetime ban against senior executive branch officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government.

Fifth: I am going to ask Congress to pass a campaign finance reform that prevents registered foreign lobbyists from raising money in American elections.

Not only will we end our government corruption, but we will end the economic stagnation.
I'm interested in what the Hillary supporters think of these proposals and why you think she has not commented on these areas of policy.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I don't think Trump should be talking about Ethics.

And I'm guessing it's because Hillary has been commenting on other platforms she finds worth discussing. Just like Trump hasn't addressed everything Hillary has spoken about. Your questions are leading.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
What is your opinion on the specific proposals?
Agreed. "Ethics" is a many varied term, which can have relative and/or universal aspects. The specific proposals, for now, seem to matter the most.
[doublepost=1476807025][/doublepost]
Banning Lobbying outright would be a lot better.
From any business, worker union, or other grouping of people.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Trump is a expert on how to get around ethics so he should know what to do to stop the problem. But now he has pissed off even more people the NRA is going to be pissed.

zin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Slow news day? She's prepping for the debate tomorrow night?
She's had 16 months to put forward a policy of this type. But I think accepting money from foreign agents and registered lobbyists has something to do with it...

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I wouldn't allow any interest groups or anyone representing an interest group to meet with elected officials.
Then we have a lot of the wrong people in Congress from a different standpoint than just politics. We'd need more technocrats. People who understood engineering and manufacturing and the fine points of data encryption (which as you can tell from the furor over smartphone cracking, we're a little short on in the halls of Congress).

Long short: we need industry expertise to help draft the language of laws since many of our laws intersect with the pervasive existence of science, math and tech in our daily lives. What we need to push back on is how much self-interest and back scratching is exchanged between lawmakers and policy translators, and how much of that we should let be represented by campaign finance.

Reactions: DearthnVader

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I'm interested in what the Hillary supporters think of these proposals and why you think she has not commented on these areas of policy.
I think they are great. She hasn't commented because, like most (all?) politicians, she's benefits from lobbyists in some form, I think.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
She's had 16 months to put forward a policy of this type. But I think accepting money from foreign agents and registered lobbyists has something to do with it...
You can think whatever you want. We've established that much LOL

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Yes, 16 months. Go to each of their websites and look at their policy positions. Clinton has scores; Trump less than 10. As Trump's campaign aides have repeatedly said, there is no plan. We wing it.